Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report on Grantham’s reasons
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/15/todd-grantham-concerned-bengals-aging-core-linebackers/

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Like I’ve been saying we need to move on these players while they have value and get younger

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Its a BS statement.

The Bengals are one of the youngest teams in the NFL (second youngest at the start of 2018). Geno and Carlos are the only 2 players on defense that are 30 and both are still playing at a high level.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Only the linebacker concern is legitimate, but **** a guy that can’t be bothered to build anything, just wants something ready made for him.
Reply/Quote
Don't really buy the age reason but if he knows the Bengals desperately need linebackers and they wouldn't commit to spending the money in FA/picks needed to fix it, can't really blame him. That could be very possible. A guy is not gonna set himself up for failure because that'll hurt his opportunities in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 05:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Its a BS statement.

The Bengals are one of the youngest teams in the NFL (second youngest at the start of 2018). Geno and Carlos are the only 2 players on defense that are 30 and both are still playing at a high level.

Yep,

I don't really buy it either. Yes we've got a few older players on D, but we have a bunch of youngsters as well. I could understand concern with the LBers but hell that can be fixed. I'm calling BS, he wasn't ever gonna leave.
Reply/Quote
Did he not know these things before he got here? Is this guy an idiot? It took him two days to find this out? Evidently, he doesn't have a television or internet access. Can't believe he said this shit out loud.

Sounds to me like he doesn't have the nads to build a unit. And the bigger issue, which is that he never even wanted the job.

Stay where you are and keep being Bama's *****.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
With all due respect, Grantham is correct.

Our two best defensive players are 30 and we may have the worst LB group in the league.

We also have one of the worst o lines in the league.

This cannot be entirely fixed this off season or in one year.

Optimistically, the Bengals are a 2 to 3 year project.

I am happy they hired a new coach and that he is being allowed to bring in his own people.

I expect no more than 5 or 6 wins next year and probably less.

There is no way the team is a Super Bowl contender and I would be stunned if they made the playoffs.

Belichick himself would need two years with this roster and all of its holes.
Reply/Quote

I dunno in a 3-4 and i was looking at starting vigil and possibly evans and or nickerson I would be pretty concerned that my defense was gonna look real bad.  I would assume we would address this in FA and draft but as of now and I was Grantham I would be real concerned that we have 1 nfl LB on our roster and hes one hit away from either being banned by league or another concussion that could end his career.  Hopefully Jefferson can step up this year and become a legit player.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 05:48 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: I dunno in a 3-4 and i was looking at starting vigil and possibly evans and or nickerson I would be pretty concerned that my defense was gonna look real bad.  I would assume we would address this in FA and draft but as of now and I was Grantham I would be real concerned that we have 1 nfl LB on our roster and hes one hit away from either being banned by league or another concussion that could end his career.  Hopefully Jefferson can step up this year and become a legit player.

It's all horseshit.  He just wanted a raise and got it and held the Bengals hostage for two days to get it.  **** him and the gator he rode in on.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

I agree, plus we can draft a couple Linebackers to make our core younger.

Sounds like most have been saying, he just wanted to use a team as leverage and we were the only one still looking for a DC.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 05:48 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: I dunno in a 3-4 and i was looking at starting vigil and possibly evans and or nickerson I would be pretty concerned that my defense was gonna look real bad.  I would assume we would address this in FA and draft but as of now and I was Grantham I would be real concerned that we have 1 nfl LB on our roster and hes one hit away from either being banned by league or another concussion that could end his career.  Hopefully Jefferson can step up this year and become a legit player.

Todd Grantham has walked into alot worse situations as a college DC. He leveraged for more money from UF it's already been announced he got a raise to stay at Florida.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Here is the only way his story makes any sense. The Bengals told him that Burfict was finished but the team would be using all of their resources in the draft and free agency on fixing the O-line.

Otherwise it is just BS he said instead of "I used them to get a raise from Florida."
Reply/Quote
Most coaches don't run from a challenge unless they were looking for an excuse...otherwise the Browns would have been coachless for the last decade

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 05:35 PM)Okeana Wrote: Like I’ve been saying we need to move on these players while they have value and get younger

We don't really have any old LBers the old man of the group is Burfict.  Vigil and Evans are only 2 or 3 years in the league...  And one dude Brown was on IR...

So who is the OLD guys we need to move on from?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 05:46 PM)bengals67 Wrote: With all due respect, Grantham is correct.

Our two best defensive players are 30 and we may have the worst LB group in the league.

We also have one of the worst o lines in the league.

This cannot be entirely fixed this off season or in one year.

Optimistically, the Bengals are a 2 to 3 year project.

I am happy they hired a new coach and that he is being allowed to bring in his own people.

There is no way the team is a Super Bowl contender and I would be stunned if they made the playoffs.

Belichick himself would need two years with this roster and all of its holes.

If everyone gets healthy and we add a few good pieces we aren't that far away
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 05:46 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Optimistically, the Bengals are a 2 to 3 year project.

1.  There is no such thing as a 3 year project in the NFL anymore.

2.  I can see being concerned with our roster, but you are going to have to explain why you think we are getting WORSE than last year.  Who will we lose that will make us worse?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 05:50 PM)McC Wrote: It's all horseshit.  He just wanted a raise and got it and held the Bengals hostage for two days to get it.  **** him and the gator he rode in on.

(02-15-2019, 05:54 PM)Synric Wrote: Todd Grantham has walked into alot worse situations as a college DC. He leveraged for more money from UF it's already been announced he got a raise to stay at Florida.

(02-15-2019, 06:14 PM)pally Wrote: Most coaches don't run from a challenge unless they were looking for an excuse...otherwise the Browns would have been coachless for the last decade

These three quotes pretty much sum up my feelings on the matter.  He used the Bengals to get a raise at his current job, no dishonor in that.  But, he made up some bullshit reasons for not accepting the Bengals position, I guess he had to say something??  But, then again, claiming that the roster would prevent him from getting off to a great start just sounds, well, wussified coming from a former Defensive Lineman..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 06:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the only way his story makes any sense. The Bengals told him that Burfict was finished but the team would be using all of their resources in the draft and free agency on fixing the O-line.

Otherwise it is just BS he said instead of "I used them to get a raise from Florida."

Thats the thing, it doesn't make sense.

(02-15-2019, 06:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We don't really have any old LBers the old man of the group is Burfict.  Vigil and Evans are only 2 or 3 years in the league...  And one dude Brown was on IR...

So who is the OLD guys we need to move on from?

Exactly, we have a young LB core if anything. What he said is just simply not correct.

(02-15-2019, 06:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  There is no such thing as a 3 year project in the NFL anymore.

2.  I can see being concerned with our roster, but you are going to have to explain why you think we are getting WORSE than last year.  Who will we lose that will make us worse?

Agreeing with Fred today, weird.
Reply/Quote
Honestly the Defense is an easy rebuild find one or two capable LB in draft or via free agency and it's a top 10 unit.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote