Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report on Grantham’s reasons
So basically, this article shoots down the "The Bengals are too cheap to get a good DC" narrative some insist on parroting. This guy, if he was ever really interested at all in coming here, wanted a ready built unit so he could be successful from the start. In other words, he wanted it handed to him, instead of working to build up the defense like he would be paid to do. Screw him and the Gator he rode in on....
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 06:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If everyone gets healthy and we add a few good pieces we aren't that far away

No we aren't.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 09:16 PM)McC Wrote: No we aren't.

On defense, we're either 1 star LB away or 2 above average to good ones.

On offense, 2 Good offensive lineman and some type of solution at TE and a WR3.

With the cap space we have, it should be fixable.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 05:54 PM)Synric Wrote: Todd Grantham has walked into alot worse situations as a college DC. He leveraged for more money from UF it's already been announced he got a raise to stay at Florida.

Well said, as always.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Grantham was a mediocre DC in the Pros and he got fired by the Browns.
Reply/Quote
I agree that Grantham used us to get his raise, but his concerns are valid. We are a total mess at LB and well more than a handful of pieces away from being a contender overall. It’s going to get worse before it gets better. We should be fully embracing the rebuild rather than hanging on to the illusion that 2015 is just around the bend.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 07:08 AM)HuDey Wrote: I agree that Grantham used us to get his raise, but his concerns are valid. We are a total mess at LB and well more than a handful of pieces away from being a contender overall. It’s going to get worse before it gets better. We should be fully embracing the rebuild rather than hanging on to the illusion that 2015 is just around the bend.

Oh really?  So, we won't be allowed to participate in free agency or the draft?  Are some guys going to quit before the season gets here?  And apparently we won't get any injured guys back either.

Please explain just how it's going to get worse.  I'd love to hear that.

And what you call concerns, I call excuses to not look like a complete ass.

And this is the NFL, where rebuilding is an annual occurrence and teams rebuild on the fly every year.  Why the hell are you acting like the cupboard is bare, cuz it damn sure ain't.

Some people use adversity as a time to get busy, to get to work finding solutions. Some people use it as an excuse to sit right down and cry.

Reply/Quote
I do agree that our personnel should get better. We only have 1 or 2 free agents worth keeping and even if we lose them all we should be able to bring in 2-3 free agents and atleast 1 starter via the draft.

IF the coaching staff can install a good system, we should see improvement.

The Steelers are a trainwreck. The Ravens have a 1 dimensional QB. We should be competitive.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:47 AM)McC Wrote: Oh really?  So, we won't be allowed to participate in free agency or the draft?  Are some guys going to quit before the season gets here?  And apparently we won't get any injured guys back either.

And this is the NFL, where rebuilding is an annual occurrence and teams rebuild on the fly every year.  Why the hell are you acting like the cupboard is bare, cuz it damn sure ain't.

Some people use adversity as a time to get busy, to get to work finding solutions. Some people use it as an excuse to sit right down and cry.

Regarding free agency : Have you not seen what our “participation” yields? And this year will be different because why?

Regarding the draft : how many of those draftees will be impact starters in year one? ...Year two? If it takes longer than that now our core players are further into thier 30’s and we have to look at finding replacements for them. So unless we kill it in the draft and Mikey magically finds a way to attract and the will to pay impact free agents the best we can hope for is to hover around .500 and continue to get ragdolled by the contenders of the league.

So I’m an ass because you don’t like my opinion? Why don’t you go get your diaper changed put on your big boy pants and deal with the fact that not everyone smells roses in the outhouse.

I’m not saying the cupboard is bare, but we are a long way from being anything resembling a contender.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:38 PM)HuDey Wrote: Regarding free agency : Have you not seen what our “participation” yields? And this year will be different because why?

Regarding the draft : how many of those draftees will be impact starters in year one? ...Year two? If it takes longer than that now our core players are further into thier 30’s and we have to look at finding replacements for them. So unless we kill it in the draft and Mikey magically finds a way to attract and the will to pay impact free agents the best we can hope for is to hover around .500 and continue to get ragdolled by the contenders of the league.

So I’m an ass because you don’t like my opinion? Why don’t you go get your diaper changed put on your big boy pants and deal with the fact that not everyone smells roses in the outhouse.

I’m not saying the cupboard is bare, but we are a long way from being anything resembling a contender.

The moment you start putting words in my mouth, thart's when I'm done with you. And as to big boys--you're the one doing the whining.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 05:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Its a BS statement.

The Bengals are one of the youngest teams in the NFL (second youngest at the start of 2018). Geno and Carlos are the only 2 players on defense that are 30 and both are still playing at a high level.

I beg to differ on that these 2 are still playing at high level....
Many games watched with no flashes or any big plays to speak of.
They do need some serious youth and talent infused in front 7
This D coordinator search is looking more and more embarrassing
Since when do coaches decline and prime NFL position? Something smells
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:38 PM)HuDey Wrote: Regarding free agency : Have you not seen what our “participation” yields? And this year will be different because why?

Precisely! The same management team is in place.

People act like Marvin didn't want free agents now and Taylor will. I guarantee you Marvin wanted us to upgrade positions, but it wasn't in the budget.

We'll draft some guys and some will pan out...but our core is early 30's now and we'll be looking to replace them sooner rather than later. And we have a vastly inexperienced coaching staff to coach these guys up.

It should be a red flag to people that we can't hire a DC. If our roster was so great, we'd have people wanting to come here.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 03:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Precisely! The same management team is in place.

People act like Marvin didn't want free agents now and Taylor will. I guarantee you Marvin wanted us to upgrade positions, but it wasn't in the budget.

We'll draft some guys and some will pan out...but our core is early 30's now and we'll be looking to replace them sooner rather than later. And we have a vastly inexperienced coaching staff to coach these guys up.

It should be a red flag to people that we can't hire a DC. If our roster was so great, we'd have people wanting to come here.

I'm not saying Marvin did not want FA's. I'm just saying it seems like there was some kind of an epiphany or changing of the guard or the philosophy, as evidenced by the guy they hired and the fact they are willing to pay two coaching staffs.

The point is, there is evidence to support the idea of a change in the way of doing things.  And why do people keep forgetting that when Marvin first got here, he was able to sign several starter quality FA's in his first couple years on the job?  Why wouldn't Zac get the same consideration? And we have the 8th most cap room in the league.

Also, Duke, who is, for all intents and purposes, the GM, has said multiple times that they intend to give the new coach whatever he needs to succeed.  Now, I can foresee some people jumping on here and calling Duke a big fat liar, which is a thing I'm not at this point willing to do.

What it comes down to is how one wants to see things.

And I've always believed I'd rather be wrong about expecting the best than right about expecting the worst.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:47 AM)McC Wrote: Oh really?  So, we won't be allowed to participate in free agency or the draft?  Are some guys going to quit before the season gets here?  And apparently we won't get any injured guys back either.

(02-16-2019, 01:40 PM)McC Wrote: The moment you start putting words in my mouth, thart's when I'm done with you. And as to big boys--you're the one doing the whining.

If the bolded above is not some sort of insult towards me, then I offer my sincere apologies.

As to whining, I am not whining, I am simply giving my opinions. Just as you are. I guess that makes us both whiners. See, we have common ground after all.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 07:05 PM)HuDey Wrote: If the bolded above is not some sort of insult towards me, then I offer my sincere apologies.

As to whining, I am not whining, I am simply giving my opinions. Just as you are. I guess that makes us both whiners. See, we have common ground after all.

The bolded was about Grantham, who was clearly using the Bengals just to get a raise in Fla and probably never intended to take the job in the first place.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 07:09 PM)McC Wrote: The bolded was about Grantham, who was clearly using the Bengals just to get a raise in Fla and probably never intended to take the job in the first place.

In that case, I AM an ass. But for reasons other than my opinions.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 07:15 PM)HuDey Wrote: In that case, I AM an ass. But for reasons other than my opinions.

Eh, it's all good.  It's not like I'm not an ass on a regular basis.  My apologies too.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 03:53 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not saying Marvin did not want FA's. I'm just saying it seems like there was some kind of an epiphany or changing of the guard or the philosophy, as evidenced by the guy they hired and the fact they are willing to pay two coaching staffs.

The point is, there is evidence to support the idea of a change in the way of doing things.  And why do people keep forgetting that when Marvin first got here, he was able to sign several starter quality FA's in his first couple years on the job?  Why wouldn't Zac get the same consideration?  And we have the 8th most cap room in the league.

Also, Duke, who is, for all intents and purposes, the GM, has said multiple times that they intend to give the new coach whatever he needs to succeed.  Now, I can foresee some people jumping on here and calling Duke a big fat liar, which is a thing I'm not at this point willing to do.

What it comes down to is how one wants to see things.

And I've always believed I'd rather be wrong about expecting the best than right about expecting the worst.

I remember speculation about 6-7 years ago when we started making the playoffs that there was a changing of the Guard.

Would any other NFL Teams hire Katie as their GM or Team President?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I remember speculation about 6-7 years ago when we started making the playoffs that there was a changing of the Guard.

Would any other NFL Teams hire Katie as their GM or Team President?

I don't know.  As far as I know, she's not looking for a job.

Reply/Quote