Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Republican National Convention(s)
(08-25-2020, 04:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: One remark? How about the one where he claimed blacks aren't as "diverse" as Hispanics? Or where he said 10-15% of Americans are not "very good people"? How about claiming that he was only going to look for a POC female for his running mate? Joe is as much a uniter as a glue bottle filled with water.

Honestly, that's not all his fault. Our country is so divided politically it would take an independent with MASSIVE amounts of charisma or a severe tragedy to unite most Americans. But, still, uniter? Give me a break.

you pointing to made up things as a reason why Biden is a "divider" is perfect irony. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Herschel Walker said it "hurt my soul to hear the terrible names that people called Donald,”

No word on his thoughts about these names:

Sleepy Joe, Little Michael, Wacko John Bolton, Alfred E Neuman, Crooked Hillary, Lyin Ted, Little Marco, Phony Kamala, Fat Jerry, Dummy Beto, Cheatin Obama, Crazy Bernie, skank, Low IQ, horse face, real beauty queen

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 04:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: you pointing to made up things as a reason why Biden is a "divider" is perfect irony. 

Not really. While I was wrong in saying that Biden was only going to look at women of color for his VP, he still said he'd prefer them. The other things he did indeed say.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Herschel Walker said it "hurt my soul to hear the terrible names that people called Donald,”

No word on his thoughts about these names:

Sleepy Joe, Little Michael, Wacko John Bolton, Alfred E Neuman, Crooked Hillary, Lyin Ted, Little Marco, Phony Kamala, Fat Jerry, Dummy Beto, Cheatin Obama, Crazy Bernie, skank, Low IQ, horse face, real beauty queen

Yeah, people who get upset when Trump is called names kinda crack me up. Trump is all about name calling and if he doesn't like being called names, he shouldn't call others names.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Not really. While I was wrong in saying that Biden was only going to look at women of color for his VP, he still said he'd prefer them. The other things he did indeed say.

You repeated the falsehood at least 3 times in an hour. 

Reply/Quote
Kimberly Guilfoyle called herself a first generation America and then spoke of her mother who was a teacher in Puerto Rico... which makes her mother an American citizen...

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 06:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Kimberly Guilfoyle called herself a first generation America and then spoke of her mother who was a teacher in Puerto Rico... which makes her mother an American citizen...

You assume that her mother was born in Puerto Rico.  I'm not saying she wasn't but the facts as you state them don't preclude her from working in Puerto Rico and not being a citizen of the US.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 12:15 PM)Dill Wrote: There are no such "entries."  And baseless accusations certainly don't set you on some higher moral ground for judging others' "low blows."

And now I'll do a little "reiterating" myself.

It is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE to make analogies between US politicians, policies, and party platforms and those of any other country, present or past--including the NS state. Analogies are by definition of unlike things, so they don't assert identification: Trump=Nazi. They are a perfectly legitimate analytic tool.

For people who can distinguish between demagoguery and analysis, the only question should be regarding the quality/validity of any proffered points of analogy.  If that discussion is not possible, then it is not possible to really have an open political discussion/critique of authoritarianism when it comes to power in the US and exercises that power.

If you really want to make a substantial contribution to this thread, then drop the moral posturing and demonstrate why the correspondences given in post #13 don't fit. It is not "unacceptable" for Americans to note, discuss and make a case for such correspondences if they are really there. It should be unacceptable to acknowledge they are there but deny the discussion.

This is a lot of words to basically say it's ok to do it when you think it's ok to do it.  I suppose comparing someone to the Nazis would be perfectly acceptable if they were for building more highways?  Not a charged comparison at all, right?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 06:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You assume that her mother was born in Puerto Rico.  I'm not saying she wasn't but the facts as you state them don't preclude her from working in Puerto Rico and not being a citizen of the US.

In literally the time it took you to post that you don't know you could have searched and found her mother was born in Puerto Rico and just said Jr's gf was making crap up....or nothing at all.

https://www.geni.com/people/Mercedes-Guilfoyle/6000000112260591909

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/kimberly-guilfoyle-facts
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: In literally the time it took you to post that you don't know you could have searched and found her mother was born in Puerto Rico and just said Jr's gf was making crap up....or nothing at all.

https://www.geni.com/people/Mercedes-Guilfoyle/6000000112260591909

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/kimberly-guilfoyle-facts

Thanks for the internet lesson kind sir.  I was at work and took a few seconds to respond to posts.  You seem very angry. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 04:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: So appointing people to positions they were not voted into is democracy but appointing family members to those same positions is attacking democracy. Got it. Rolleyes

Nepotism for the sake of loyalty is undemocratic. Appointing qualified individuals to best serve the people is democratic.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 06:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You assume that her mother was born in Puerto Rico.  I'm not saying she wasn't but the facts as you state them don't preclude her from working in Puerto Rico and not being a citizen of the US.

She was born in Puerto Rico in 1942 according to a genealogy site set up by a family member. I did my research first :)

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 08:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: She was born in Puerto Rico in 1942 according to a genealogy site set up by a family member. I did my research first :)

I should have known better, my friend.  Kudos.
Reply/Quote
Abby Johnson, who is scheduled to speak tonight, is an anti-abortion activist. A video is resurfacing from June in which she said that when her adopted biracial son is older, police will be smart to be alert to him compared to her biological white sons because he would be more likely to commit a crime, and she's ok with that. She went on to say she would be angry if he were treated more violently. She then trashed black men for creating fatherless homes and wanting to be with multiple women.

She also recently advocated for head of household voting, where only the head of household would get to vote, saying that in "godly households", that would mean the man would vote.

It's like they pulled up a rock and scrapped these people from the bottom of it for the RNC.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 10:50 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: She then trashed black men for creating fatherless homes and wanting to be with multiple women.

Hmm, is she trying to court the black vote for Trump by suggesting that he's relatable to all the swaggalicious stud black men out there?
Reply/Quote
Melania is the only trump not on stimulants during their speech. Its easy to say something positive like that when it’s true.
Reply/Quote
So, the whole convention is filled with Hatch Act violations, and the House has decided to focus on Pompeo's.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-convention-pompeo/pompeo-convention-speech-for-trump-from-jerusalem-sparks-criticism-investigation-idUSKBN25L2RG
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I just saw some highlights but I was getting vibes of pyramid scheme leaders who tossed in some good old fashioned threats to hedge their bets. I can see why this sort of empty hyperbole is so damn effective.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 08:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Thanks for the internet lesson kind sir.  I was at work and took a few seconds to respond to posts.  You seem very angry. 

Angry? Nah.  I just get tired of people posting just to be argumentative rather than doing a little research.

I'm all for alternative information and proof...not just "well sure but..." 

Don't have time to look it up?  Don't post it.

Sir. 
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 08:06 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, the whole convention is filled with Hatch Act violations, and the House has decided to focus on Pompeo's.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-convention-pompeo/pompeo-convention-speech-for-trump-from-jerusalem-sparks-criticism-investigation-idUSKBN25L2RG

But isn't this just another example of how Trump does things HIS WAY because the old ways didn't work?!?!

Can't we give him a chance and give him some credit for everything he's done just by breaking a few little old "rules" and "laws" and "norms"?!?!

How do we KNOW that Biden won't do the EXACT SAME THING?!?!?!

Ninja
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote