Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research for a Turf change?
The Bengals are one of 7 teams/ 6 stadiums that use slit film turf. This type of turf supposedly is the worst for lower extremity injuries. Joe publically stated his preference for grass. But most of us can remember the grass disastor when Paycor first opened

Tenneesse recently installed Matrix Turf with Helix which is according to experts way better than the slit film turf. One of the additional plusses of this fiield is a lower maintanace cost

Could the Bengals be looking at a field change during the off season?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Sounds like they are interested in making a change then.... good for the Bengals players and organization.

Always nice to see ownership looking to make changes that benefit the team.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Soccer leagues never have problems with grass. It seems really penny wise pound foolish to me that they don't just have a standardized grass system for every stadium. The last super bowl being played on a field where the "best pass rush in the league" was nullified and the NFL later said something about "possibly using the wrong equipment" is another example. Who wants to watch injuries like what OBJ sustained in the super bowl against the Bengals? Who wants to see Rodgers go down after a routine sack because his cleat was stuck in the turf?
Reply/Quote
If Joe doesn't like the turf he can pay for the change. At least, then, the Bengals will get some return on his contract.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 01:12 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Sounds like they are interested in making a change then.... good for the Bengals players and organization.

Always nice to see ownership looking to make changes that benefit the team.

Yeah. All the money they save on backup qb can be used on turf.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If the players want it, then do it. They do grass fields up north in Green Bay. We can do it here. A lot of them seem to use Kentucky blue grass.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 01:59 PM)Goalpost Wrote: If the players want it, then do it.  They do grass fields up north in Green Bay.  We can do it here.  A lot of them seem to use Kentucky blue grass.

Sorry..we'd need a hybrid Ohio blue grass..Kentucky is too far away from Cincinnati.. That wide ass river and all..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
the turf nonsense is overblown. It's a giant non issue. Injuries will happen regardless. And grass isnt designed to sustain the abuse of 42 cleats constantly ripping up the surface

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 02:46 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: the turf nonsense is overblown. It's a giant non issue. Injuries will happen regardless. And grass isnt designed to sustain the abuse of 42 cleats constantly ripping up the surface

The type of turf matters. Data has shown that slit film (what the Bengals have) has a significantly higher risk of injury than monofilament. 

The debate shouldn't be grass vs. turf. It should be slit film vs. monofilament. I wouldn't be shocked if the NFL comes out and bands slit film eventually. Maybe the Bengals already know this. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 03:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The type of turf matters. Data has shown that slit film (what the Bengals have) has a significantly higher risk of injury than monofilament. 

The debate shouldn't be grass vs. turf. It should be slit film vs. monofilament. I wouldn't be shocked if the NFL comes out and bands slit film eventually. Maybe the Bengals already know this. 

Katie can't come out and say "yeah, our turf sucks" and leave the franchise open to litigation if significant injuries happen this year.  They've generally done the right thing the last few years, so I would be surprised if they stick with the slit film next season.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 01:59 PM)Goalpost Wrote: If the players want it, then do it.  They do grass fields up north in Green Bay.  We can do it here.  A lot of them seem to use Kentucky blue grass.

It isn't a climate thing, it is a water table thing. 

The stadium is right next to the Ohio River, and the field is well below street level. It just gets too wet. 

Same thing happened when Ohio State sunk the field to expand capacity. Had to switch to turf the next year. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 01:02 PM)pally Wrote: The Bengals are one of 7 teams/ 6 stadiums that use slit film turf.  This type of turf supposedly is the worst for lower extremity injuries.  Joe publically stated his preference for grass.  But most of us can remember the grass disastor when Paycor first opened

Tenneesse recently installed Matrix Turf with Helix which is according to experts way better than the slit film turf.  One of the additional plusses of this fiield is a lower maintanace cost

How long have the Bengals had the field turf they have today?
I feel like it's been the same for the past 10-15 years, right?

As with most things, maybe there are improvements nowadays compared to 10+ years ago and it's worthwhile to make a change for the better.

Although if we're talking about stadium changes, gimme a dome :)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think all fields should be identical. All fields should be real or as real as can be. All new stadiums should be retractble roofs. If real grass no other events other than NFL football, unless completely covered & protected (concerts).
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 03:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The type of turf matters. Data has shown that slit film (what the Bengals have) has a significantly higher risk of injury than monofilament. 

Sounds like Monofilament would make the most sense for us as what Ike here says makes sense on not having grass which 
is what I would want the most if it wasn't for the water table by the river. We don't want to be playing on wet grass with mud
either.

(10-11-2023, 03:49 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It isn't a climate thing, it is a water table thing. 

The stadium is right next to the Ohio River, and the field is well below street level. It just gets too wet. 

Same thing happened when Ohio State sunk the field to expand capacity. Had to switch to turf the next year. 

ThumbsUp

(10-11-2023, 05:09 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: I think all fields should be identical. All fields should be real or as real as can be. All new stadiums should be retractble roofs. If real grass no other events other than NFL football, unless completely covered & protected (concerts).

Can't be all identical as Ike here says about certain water tables and climates. Would like it to be consistent though in all stadiums.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 01:02 PM)pally Wrote: The Bengals are one of 7 teams/ 6 stadiums that use slit film turf.  This type of turf supposedly is the worst for lower extremity injuries.  Joe publically stated his preference for grass.  But most of us can remember the grass disastor when Paycor first opened

Tenneesse recently installed Matrix Turf with Helix which is according to experts way better than the slit film turf.  One of the additional plusses of this fiield is a lower maintanace cost

He did? THe only answer he gave that I remember is he just suggested every field should be the same, regardless of what they do, which makes sense. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 02:20 PM)grampahol Wrote: Sorry..we'd need a hybrid Ohio blue grass..Kentucky is too far away from Cincinnati.. That wide ass river and all..

Not sure what they are using, but it's not Kentucky Bluegrass. That crap turns brown in November and doesn't green up until March. They most likely use a fescue. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 04:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote:
How long have the Bengals had the field turf they have today?
I feel like it's been the same for the past 10-15 years, right?

As with most things, maybe there are improvements nowadays compared to 10+ years ago and it's worthwhile to make a change for the better.

Although if we're talking about stadium changes, gimme a dome :)

No, it's on a replacement schedule, which without looking is every 5 years if I remember correctly.
Reply/Quote

All the players don't want it. Receivers, DB's and Running backs all want turf because it's faster. The big uglies probably prefer grass. The problem is, if you have one rain game, that field is going to be toast the next week. Even if they resod it, it will not have taken hold and the turf will be loose. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 01:50 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Soccer leagues never have problems with grass. It seems really penny wise pound foolish to me that they don't just have a standardized grass system for every stadium. The last super bowl being played on a field where the "best pass rush in the league" was nullified and the NFL later said something about "possibly using the wrong equipment" is another example. Who wants to watch injuries like what OBJ sustained in the super bowl against the Bengals? Who wants to see Rodgers go down after a routine sack because his cleat was stuck in the turf?

In fairness, soccer leagues don't have nine 270-330lb guys trying to get the best grip with their cleats as they can and then seeing who can push the other backwards on every single play, making it so the middle third of a field sees FAR more usage than the outer thirds. The players are also all something like 5'11 and 160lbs.

That said, I think maintaining a good grass for football is just a matter of how much effort and money you're willing to put into it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote