Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Responding to words with violence?
I thought this deserved its own thread since certain people among us seem to lack the moral courage to actually answer this question. 

Is it ever acceptable to respond to words with violence?

My answer is no, it is not ok to use physical violence because you dislike someone's words, their political, racial or religious opinions.  The fact that this is even a topic for debate is a bit disturbing to me. 
(03-07-2017, 08:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I thought this deserved its own thread since certain people among us seem to lack the moral courage to actually answer this question. 

My answer is no, it is not ok to use physical violence because you dislike someone's words, their political, racial or religious opinions.  The fact that this is even a topic for debate is a bit disturbing to me. 

I am not up to date on what's going on here in P&R, and this is the first thread I have checked in a while. Without the context of why you asked this in another thread, I will also say no. Responding to words with violence gets nowhere.

However, if someone said "F your wife and kids!!" to me, I would probably knock a few of their teeth out. Lol
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Words that can cause acceptable violence..

1. Immediate direct or implied threats: If someone implies or directly states they're going to kick your/loved one's ass right now, or wait until later when you're guard is down.
2. Challenges: I bet you $20 you can't knock me out with one punch!
3. Requests: Can you please punch me in the face?

Lol, might have gotten a bit ridiculous in there, but that's pretty much all the scenarios that words can cause acceptable violence. I am pretty positive you were talking more from a debate/hate speech/etc stance, in which case, no. They'd be shitty people, but being a shitty person doesn't warrant punching. A shitty person who tries to or is preparing to attack you is free game, though.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(03-07-2017, 08:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I thought this deserved its own thread since certain people among us seem to lack the moral courage to actually answer this question. 

We're only talking lawfully protected speech? Not like a spoken threat and then you responding with violence?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I can't imagine a single thing anyone could say to me that would make me care enough to respond with violence...then again, I've been accused of being apathetic and "not believing in anything" too.

I will also say that I knew a handful of women who were of the mindset that if you were with them and a guy put them down that you would have to risk life, limb, and liberty to defend their honor or you'd be denied sex for an indefinite period of time. I referred to those women as "trouble" but then again, I'm a big ol' wimp!

Personally, I was raised to believe that true self confidence is having the ability to avoid conflict and be secure in the notion that you are right while the dumbass who wants to fight thinks he is right (and will probably brag to his friends that he made you piss your pants and flee). Sadly, where I come from it seems an inordinate amount of the male population thinks toughness and confidence require some amount of pointless fights, injuries they can't pay for, and jail time.

This can go hand in hand with how easily people seem to think it is to shoot and kill another person. Meh, people have just seen too many action movies.

What if someone says, "I'm going to kill you"?

I too would say no based solely on political, racial, or religious opinions. As to "ever acceptable" that is harder to answer. 

We had a Westboro group here picket a Military funeral here and that escalated; however no one got violent. Now if the Soldier would have been my son or one of my Soldiers, the outcome might have been somewhat different.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Not to over simplify here, but "sticks and stones" anyone?  Sure, anyone can issue an insult or threat.  However unless those words are followed by some convincing physical actions, I'll let it pass.  Guess I'm just getting old.  Now, if you move on me or my family, I still remember what rage feels like.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
No.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-07-2017, 09:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't imagine a single thing anyone could say to me that would make me care enough to respond with violence...then again, I've been accused of being apathetic and "not believing in anything" too.

I will also say that I knew a handful of women who were of the mindset that if you were with them and a guy put them down that you would have to risk life, limb, and liberty to defend their honor or you'd be denied sex for an indefinite period of time.  I referred to those women as "trouble" but then again, I'm a big ol' wimp!

Personally, I was raised to believe that true self confidence is having the ability to avoid conflict and be secure in the notion that you are right while the dumbass who wants to fight thinks he is right (and will probably brag to his friends that he made you piss your pants and flee).  Sadly, where I come from it seems an inordinate amount of the male population thinks toughness and confidence require some amount of pointless fights, injuries they can't pay for, and jail time.

This can go hand in hand with how easily people seem to think it is to shoot and kill another person.  Meh, people have just seen too many action movies.

You hit every key point I would make in response.  Well stated.
(03-07-2017, 10:37 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What if someone says, "I'm going to kill you"?

The lawyer answer is, "it depends".  Is the person making a credible threat that a reasonable person could think they were imminently going to carry out?  If the answer is no or even maybe you're on shaky legal ground. 
no, but, for what largely started out as religious reasons, I'm a pacifist. I dont believe in violence of any kind.
I never see a need for violence except in self defense.  And even then I'd rather try and avoid it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-07-2017, 11:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The lawyer answer is, "it depends".  Is the person making a credible threat that a reasonable person could think they were imminently going to carry out?  If the answer is no or even maybe you're on shaky legal ground. 

So not always a no. 

When I tell you I'm your father and you realize that it might be true? Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(03-08-2017, 01:15 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So not always a no. 

You're not talking about speech though, you're talking about speech in conjunction with something else.  If you were not then I would be justified to beat the dogshit out of everyone that threatens me during the course of my job.  I don't think you or anyone else want to justify that kind of response by an LEO in that scenario.
(03-08-2017, 02:38 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You're not talking about speech though, you're talking about speech in conjunction with something else.  If you were not then I would be justified to beat the dogshit out of everyone that threatens me during the course of my job.  I don't think you or anyone else want to justify that kind of response by an LEO in that scenario.

Yeah, I guess I'm talking words plus meaning plus context. 
I'm going with no, but if say you walk up and say my daughter is a ***** I'm probably going to punch you anyway.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

So glad to see Chivalry is alive and well on the Bengal Message Board.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-08-2017, 08:51 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, I guess I'm talking words plus meaning plus context. 

No, you're talking about words plus imminent threat to your physical well being.  If all you have is a semantic argument then you don't have an argument.