Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rest In Peace Ross Browner
One of my favorite Bengals. One of most decorated college Defensive players ever. That he placed 5th in the Heisman Trophy voting is huge because that award almost always goes to QB's, RB's or WR's. I was very excited when Bengals drafted the Notre Dame Defensive Star. On The Bengals D Line he became part of The WEBB. Whitley, Edwards, Burley and Browner. He remained DE when Bengals went to a 3 man D Line. He was huge in helping Bengals to 1981 Super Bowl. Voted one of best Bengals ever. Bless the Browner Family in their loss. Nothing but Good Memories of Bengals Ross Browner.

Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I remember Ross. He was around for some of my earliest Bengals memories.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sad to hear. RIP Ross
Reply/Quote
One site I read said he died from COVID. That WEBB nickname was cool. I've met Edwards.
Reply/Quote
A few years ago, I saw a some short interviews with him when he was a player. He seemed very smart, always positive and in a good mood. He came across as a very likable person and the kind of guy you'd want on your team.

Rest In Peace
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Browner was around in some great times as well as dark days..  Good player the team really missed when he was no longer a Bengal.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Very much a rock solid anchor on that dline.was a bright spot on those really bad Bengal
Teams from 78 to.80. He always seemed to really have his way vs the Browns
Much like Isaac Curtis. Great character and total team player.
Hopefully he can get in the Ring of Honor.
Reply/Quote
He was one of the few who showed up and played lights out in SB 17.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:02 AM)dr tarzan Wrote: He was one of the few who showed up and played lights out in SB 17.

damn! I didt hear about this. very sad..
He was one the reasons I became a Bengals fan living and growing up in Los Angeles in the 1970s.
I loved watching the "WEBB" of Browner, Burley, Edwards and Whitley...as they beat the Steelers in a  snow game and I was hooked.   
Reply/Quote
Very, very sorry to hear this. I'm an old timer and I remember him well. He persevered on some awful teams and was a stud DE on one great one. Healing and peace to his family and friends.
Reply/Quote
67 is too damn young. I wish his family peace

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
He was from Ohio. Brother Joey also played in NFL. Think there might have been another brother who played in NFL or college.
Reply/Quote
RIP, Ross Browner.

It always puts life in perspective for me just a little more when an athlete I watched play passes. When the cardboard heroes (NBA, NFL, and MLB card collecting) I appreciated for their on-field work dies it gives me that extra reminder that life is short.
Reply/Quote
Very sad. He and Edwards were a great combo on the ends. Reggie Williams at LB.

We had the better team by a goid margin in SB 17 but laid an egg.

Just to recap. SF funbled the opening kickoff, but we threw a pick on 3rd down at their 11. They score a TD. 7-0 49ers.

Teams trade punts. We drive down iside the 10 on a pass to Collingsworth, who fumbles, 49ers recover. They drive the length of the field for a TD. 14-0.

We punt. They drive for a FG with 20 seconds or so left in the half. They kickoff, Archie fumbles the KO, they recover and kick another FG. 20-0 at half. Brutal.

We score on the opening drive of 3rd quarter. 20-7. They punt. We punt. They punt. Then the drive where we get stopped 3 times on the goal line. Still doen 20-7. But we hold them to a 3 & out (for the 3rd straight time), get the ball back & score again, 20-14. Late 3rd quarter.

They get a FG. Anderson throws a pick, they get another FG. 23-14. We get a late garbage TD. 26-21. 4 TOs. Three empty trips inside their 15.

The D played well though. 6 points off TOs in our territory and 2 TDs off our TOs in theirs. 6 pts after half. 20 pts off of TOs.

We had the better team in BOTH SB losses, but did not play well enough to win.
Reply/Quote
He was the father of Steelier O-lineman Max Stark. He had 2 brothers and a nephew play in the NFL.

He was from Warren Ohio.
Reply/Quote
R.I.P. Ross

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Ross was the player that Rudy (of movie fame) replaced on the field for his one chance at getting to play

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'm going to add on to this. One has said The Bengals had the better team in the Super Bowl, but played bad. The Chargers said the same thing about the Freezer Bowl AFC Championship. The fact is the Bengals beat the Chargers twice in 1981, but the 49ers beat the Bengals twice in 1981. That was a very good Dallas Cowboys team the 49ers beat to win the NFC in 1981. On that. lets admit that Bill Walsh, Joe Montana and the 49ers were a very good team, the start of a Dynasty Team.

More important, some thinking of Browner as the losing end of the 1970's. I think or drafting Browner and Munoz as the beginning of the Bengals 1980's, the Bengals greatest decade so far. The Bengals had been good under Paul Brown, but under new coaching the team had off years in 1978 and 1979 under Coach Homer Rice. Coach Forrest Gregg came in to add some Vince Lombardi to the Paul Brown franchise. Browner played mostly for Coach Gregg in the 1980's and then Coach Wyche. BROWNER IS MORE ASSOCIATEDE WITH WINNING YEARS in his Bengals career. Browner, Munoz, Montoya, Collinsworth were The Rebuild of that era as Burrow, Higgins and Chase are the Rebuild of this era. So let us associate Ross Browner more to the Winning of the 1980's, and The New Culture Browner and Munoz and Montoya and Collinsworth brought to the team.

So let us Remember Browner for the WIINING he brought to the Bengals

REMEMBER BROWNER FOR THE WINNING. The MAN was a WINNER.

and Yes, he should end up in Bengals Ring Of Honor, or there should be no Bengals Ring of Honor. Having followed the Bengals since 1968, I do not have to go to history books or stats. Ross Browner is easily one of the best Bengals Defensive Linemen ever. That isn't even up for debate.

Everybody on here agrees Browner was a great Bengals Player. I'm just saying that remembering him for being on bad teams is a mistake. Yes, he was drafted on to a bad team, as was Munoz. As was Burrow and Chase later. Let us Remember THE WIINING these great players brought. I will Always Remember Browner for The Winning Seasons he brought, and The 1980's are still the Best Decade of Bengals. However I am hoping great things in this 2020's decade.

Again, God Bless The Browner Family in their Grief. From looking at his children and Family, I think he tackled Life as well as he tackled football players. A leader ON and OFF the football field.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote