Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Retain Lou Anarumo
(10-10-2022, 09:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

While there's some truth to that, it ignores how offensively-minded the league is right now. 

Each defeat has only needed a FG at the end to beat us too. Depending on field position, sometimes you'll only need like 3 first downs to be in FG range.

It's not as simple as only looking at the points we give up, but when you only give up what our defence is giving up, they are definitely doing enough for the Bengals to win the game.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:11 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: While there's some truth to that, it ignores how offensively-minded the league is right now. 

Each defeat has only needed a FG at the end to beat us too. Depending on field position, sometimes you'll only need like 3 first downs to be in FG range.

It's not as simple as only looking at the points we give up, but when you only give up what our defence is giving up, they are definitely doing enough for the Bengals to win the game.

I understand what you are saying, but on the note of the league being offensively minded, I'd like to point out one thing.  In each of the Bengals losses, there was was at least one drive in each of those games that resulted in a field goal when all of the momentum at the moment pointed to the Bengals going in for a TD.  20 points or less in the NFL just isn't going to cut it most of the time, the offense has to score TDs on these drives. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:29 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Brown and the Front Office better lock Lou Anarumo into a long term deal and soon.

Lou has the defense playing at a very high level again; high enough, in fact, that the Bengals should be legitimately 5–0 even with an average offense.  Currently Cincinnati is allowing a stingy 16.4 points per game.  That’s about half the points per game Teryl Austin’s squad allowed in 2018 and holding the Ravens’ high powered offense to one touchdown and 19 points is impressive.

Let’s not let him skip town like Mike Zimmer. I am just afraid teams will soon look to poach Lou to make their defenses better — or to be their head coach.

I dont think we are in danger of losing Lou anytime soon.  Teams are moving from hiring defensive coaches nowadays - see Zimmer and others.  Even the great ones are struggling (Belicheck & Tomlin).  This is an offensive league today - Owners want points.

Even the most progressive DC's arent cutting it.  Staley with the Bolts has underperformed.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I understand what you are saying, but on the note of the league being offensively minded, I'd like to point out one thing.  In each of the Bengals losses, there was was at least one drive in each of those games that resulted in a field goal when all of the momentum at the moment pointed to the Bengals going in for a TD.  20 points or less in the NFL just isn't going to cut it most of the time, the offense has to score TDs on these drives. 

That's what it comes down to. You have to score 24+. Maybe 27+ to win consistently.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To Lou's credit, he tailors the defensive game plan to the opponents strengths. He changes things up as needed.

On offense, I don't see that. We don't even tailor our gameplan to our teams strengths.

Exactly on both points.

Is our defense world class ? NO But they've kept us in all 5 games by adjusting on the fly and looking prepared more often than not.

On the other hand, there's no reason with all the talent we have on O that we can't do waayyy better at figuring out how to exploit opposing D's.  Our defense is like varsity level playing and adjusting for the most part. And our offense looks like Jr. high in the first week of summer practice.

And we're 5 games into the season now.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I understand what you are saying, but on the note of the league being offensively minded, I'd like to point out one thing.  In each of the Bengals losses, there was was at least one drive in each of those games that resulted in a field goal when all of the momentum at the moment pointed to the Bengals going in for a TD.  20 points or less in the NFL just isn't going to cut it most of the time, the offense has to score TDs on these drives. 

Absolutely agree, our offence isn't doing enough. The defence is giving up just shy of 18 a game, you should be 4-1 or 5-0 when your defence is limiting teams to that scoring.

We're like the Broncos right now. A defence which is bailing out a stuttering offence. 
Reply/Quote
The defense has been great. They do seem to give up last second drives for game winning FGs, but I think that is mostly because they are a great bend but don't break defense. SO if the other team needs a TD instead of a FG then they would do much better at end of game scenarios. Unfortunately, all of our losses the other team just needed a FG. Still you can't put any blame on them for our losses, all 3 are squarely on the shoulders of Zac Taylor and our offense.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
I would like to hear the explanation for the three wide-open Ravens WRs last night. Those were three easy TDs had Jackson had half-way decent throws. You can be sure Allen and Mahommes would make the Bengals pay if they left WRs that open. Maybe Anarumo's strategy was based on the belief that Lamar Jackson can't make those throws consistently?
Reply/Quote