Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pride NY bans gay police officers
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nyc-pride-parade-bans-police-gay-officers-disheartened/ar-BB1gM9vm

Quote:NEW YORK (AP) — Organizers of New York City’s Pride events said Saturday they are banning police and other law enforcement from marching in their huge annual parade until at least 2025 and will also seek to keep on-duty officers a block away from the celebration of LGBTQ people and history.

They can do what they want, but wow. It hasn't been that long since gay police officers felt compelled to hide the fact they were gay. It should be celebrated.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 05:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nyc-pride-parade-bans-police-gay-officers-disheartened/ar-BB1gM9vm

They can do what they want, but wow.  It hasn't been that long since gay police officers felt compelled to hide the fact they were gay.  It should be celebrated.

Yeah, I saw this.  NYPD should refuse to work the parade in any fashion, that should turn out well.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 05:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, I saw this.  NYPD should refuse to work the parade in any fashion, that should turn out well.

It blows my mind that a group that has fought so long for inclusiveness is now exclusive based on occupation.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Well that won't help.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 05:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It blows my mind that a group that has fought so long for inclusiveness is now exclusive based on occupation.

Don't look for consistency on the radical left (or right for that matter).  They have become what they purport to hate.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 05:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Don't look for consistency on the radical left (or right for that matter).  They have become what they purport to hate.

To be fair, it's not like the police have been exactly helpful for the lect side of the aisle or their causes, what with the immediate use of crowd dispersing tactics last summer.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 09:23 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: To be fair, it's not like the police have been exactly helpful for the lect side of the aisle or their causes, what with the immediate use of crowd dispersing tactics last summer.

Well, having been directly involved in said "activities" and, at the time, living literally a block from the epicenter of the Hollywood protests I can tell you this was definitely not a one sided affair.  I don't expect you to view my opinion as unbiased, but I can tell you that law enforcement was insanely patient and put up with a lot of shit before said tactics were deployed.  The problem is the news never shows the hours worth of crap that led up to said "dispersion tactics" because that would be too much like telling the whole story.

[Image: 30d885fb63ee7573a6d314e7a1d4d83797a79e3d...dbf0_1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Disappointing.

I'm not familiar with the history of all these events, or that one in particular, but I thought a big part of them was inclusiveness. Excluding some of the community based on their profession, not actions, isn't very inclusive.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 11:22 PM)Benton Wrote: Disappointing.

I'm not familiar with the history of all these events, or that one in particular, but I thought a big part of them was inclusiveness. Excluding some of the community based on their profession, not actions, isn't very inclusive.

Indeed it is not.  You're right though, "inclusiveness" only extends to the right sort of people.  The wrong sort must be excluded for the sake of inclusiveness.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 05:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Don't look for consistency on the radical left (or right for that matter).  They have become what they purport to hate.

I've been noticing that a lot lately and have been wanting to mention it on here and on Facebook (but I know I'll be bashed on Facebook for it) and that's that the left is becoming exactly what they claim to hate and exclude everyone without their exact mindset.

I don't know how they haven't just completely collapsed in on themselves but I think that goes to show just how crazy they really are.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 11:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've been noticing that a lot lately and have been wanting to mention it on here and on Facebook (but I know I'll be bashed on Facebook for it) and that's that the left is becoming exactly what they claim to hate and exclude everyone without their exact mindset.

I don't know how they haven't just completely collapsed in on themselves but I think that goes to show just how crazy they really are.

To be fair, Brad, both sides do the exact same thing.  The difference now is that the left/far left is ascendant, therefore they're currently the bullies.  

I use this analogy frequently and it perfectly encapsulates this phenomena.  The Citadel is a paramilitary type college in South Carolina.  The freshmen, or plebs, get hazed the entire year, the goal is to make them quit.  People make their lives miserable.  You want to guess which group is the most cruel and active in this regard?  The sophomores.  The people who just went through that miserable experience and, one might think, would empathize with the freshmen, are, in fact, the worst towards them.

I call it the "it's my turn now" effect.  Many, if not most, people lack empathy.  Instead of recognizing the treatment they did not like and not engaging in it towards others, the majority of people appear to instead prefer inflicting that pain on the new disadvantaged group.  I suppose it's empowering or cathartic to a degree, but mostly I think it's just an atavistic need to inflict on others what you had to endure.  To make them suffer as you suffered.  As long as we keep buying into the cycle it will endlessly repeat.  
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 09:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well, having been directly involved in said "activities" and, at the time, living literally a block from the epicenter of the Hollywood protests I can tell you this was definitely not a one sided affair.  I don't expect you to view my opinion as unbiased, but I can tell you that law enforcement was insanely patient and put up with a lot of shit before said tactics were deployed.  The problem is the news never shows the hours worth of crap that led up to said "dispersion tactics" because that would be too much like telling the whole story.

[Image: 30d885fb63ee7573a6d314e7a1d4d83797a79e3d...dbf0_1.jpg]

I don't doubt that some police dealt with a lot of shit before going full on suppression. Just like I don't doubt that some police didn't deal with a lot of shit before going full on suppression.

I've read enough first hand accounts, news articles, and spoken to friends who were at events to know which happened more often in my neck of the woods. That's not to undermind what you're saying, btw - but Midwest vs west coast are usually tales of two tapes.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 09:23 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: To be fair, it's not like the police have been exactly helpful for the lect side of the aisle or their causes, what with the immediate use of crowd dispersing tactics last summer.

Anything other than peacefully protesting should have been put down immediately.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 02:25 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Anything other than peacefully protesting should have been put down immediately.

I'm genuinely wondering where I said anything to the contrary. 
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 02:46 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I'm genuinely wondering where I said anything to the contrary. 

Sorry, didn't mean to quote you.  Meant to just post.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 02:57 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Sorry, didn't mean to quote you.  Meant to just post.

You're good - just wanted to make sure nobody was putting words in my mouth or taking something I said and running way off to another field with it.
Reply/Quote
Can someone explain to me how you can organize such an enormous event in a public space and then dictate who can and cannot participate?

I could see if you got a permit to take over a small park or something like that, and it was contolled by *irony alert* the police but when you're marching through the streets of the city in the US I don't understand how you have any right to say certain people can't march.

PS I've had a few different conversations with those who are in the LGBTQ community where they told me the DESPISE the Pride Parade. Like absolutely cannot stand what it's become and are embarrassed to be attatched to it any way.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 05:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It blows my mind that a group that has fought so long for inclusiveness is now exclusive based on occupation.

Well, both sides used to get along just fine.

[Image: 5909f039c0cd1.image.jpg?crop=1080%2C1080...p%2Cresize]
Reply/Quote
I wonder what these folks would have to say if police held some sort of self-celebration and would not allow gay people to attend.

But this way around, sure, let's be all prejudiced and declare all police bad and bogeymen. Tolerance, pah.

This story is a shame and this attitude (that sure is not restricted to the USA) deserves being called out, especially from folks on the same ideological spectrum. So here I go, barking at the moon.
Reply/Quote