Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Return of Burfict looking bigger and bigger
(10-02-2015, 12:39 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote:   Sorry but the only thing "BULLSHIT" is your post.  Rey Maualuga is 3rd on the team in tackles with 17 (puts him in top 50 of linebackers of NFL) in 3 games.. He also plays about 60 percent of the snaps not on the field 40 percent of the time. 
He is not a all pro.. but to say he is mediocre is not backed up by the stats for the three games played this year.  
Here are the links I used
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/totalTackles/qualified/false

There's much more to being an above average LB other than being in the top 50 in tackles.

Are we all aware of that, or no?
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:43 PM)djs7685 Wrote: There's much more to being an above average LB other than being in the top 50 in tackles.

Are we all aware of that, or no?

well since he is third on the team and plays 60 percent of the time and since there are 150 or so starting linebackers.. I would say where you are nationally and on your team is part of the evaluation.. don;t you think ??   We can use other intangibles.. but stats do help to refute or support a argument without them, not much to argue with...

My point is his stats after three games do not support the argument that he is mediocre ...... do you dispute this ? 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:53 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: well since he is third on the team and plays 60 percent of the time and since there are 150 or so starting linebackers.. I would say where you are nationally and on your team is part of the evaluation.. don;t you think ??   We can use other  intangibles.. but stats do help to refute or support  a argument without them, not much to argue with...

My point is his stats after three games do not support the argument that he is mediocre ...... do you dispute this ? 

I'd like to see his missed tackles and stops in comparison to other MLBs around the league. It is sort of silly to compare him to guys that don't even play his position, it would be difficult to assess how good he is at MLB compared to how good another player is at SLB for example. Different roles, not really fair to compare.

If someone could post his MTs and stops compared to other MLBs, then I could make the decision whether the stats say if he's mediocre or not. Until then, I'll go with what my eyes have told me and they're saying that he has played well at times, but has seemingly missed a lot of tackles so far this year (more so than his peers around the league in comparison to snap counts). I'd like to see if the stats back that up though, because I could be wrong.
Reply/Quote
Having had microfracture surgery myself, I'm guessing that Burfict will not be "his old self" this season. I was on crutches for 12 weeks after the surgery and even now (4 years later) the knee still gives me trouble sometimes.

Granted ... I was 60, not in my mid-20s, when I had the surgery, but if anyone thinks that Tez will be 100% this year is smoking funny cigarettes.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:58 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I'd like to see his missed tackles and stops in comparison to other MLBs around the league. It is sort of silly to compare him to guys that don't even play his position, it would be difficult to assess how good he is at MLB compared to how good another player is at SLB for example. Different roles, not really fair to compare.

If someone could post his MTs and stops compared to other MLBs, then I could make the decision whether the stats say if he's mediocre or not. Until then, I'll go with what my eyes have told me and they're saying that he has played well at times, but has seemingly missed a lot of tackles so far this year (more so than his peers around the league in comparison to snap counts). I'd like to see if the stats back that up though, because I could be wrong.

well i will go with my eyes plus stats.. so nope he is not mediocre this year. 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:39 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote:   Sorry but the only thing "BULLSHIT" is your post.  Rey Maualuga is 3rd on the team in tackles with 17 (puts him in top 50 of linebackers of NFL) in 3 games.. He also plays about 60 percent of the snaps not on the field 40 percent of the time. 
He is not a all pro.. but to say he is mediocre is not backed up by the stats for the three games played this year.  
Here are the links I used
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/totalTackles/qualified/false

Take a closer look at the stats. He had 4 solo tackles last two games as a MLB. 

Bad in coverage and poor tackling angles IMO. Great leader and high motor though. I don't think he's bad, but would really prefer a lesser role for him is all. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 09:44 AM)xavierdude Wrote: i seriously doubt u have any knowledge as to what is going on with BUrflict

I know he was already working out during training camp.  Everyone knows that.  Surprised that you did not.  

The fact that he was working out on the knee leads me to believe that he is able to stand the pain level.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 10:37 AM)Wilikn Wrote: Burfict's concussions are a greater concern than any of his appendages IMO.

I was also concerned with how easily he seemed to keep getting knocked silly last year.  

But the fact that he has not had a long history of concussions before last year makes me hope that he just needed more recovery time.

Wasn't it the Atlanta game last year when he got knocked woozy on the field so bad that the ref made him leave the game, but then the Bengals put him back in later in the same game?  That seemed crazy to me.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 12:58 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I'd like to see his missed tackles and stops in comparison to other MLBs around the league. It is sort of silly to compare him to guys that don't even play his position, it would be difficult to assess how good he is at MLB compared to how good another player is at SLB for example. Different roles, not really fair to compare.

What Rey brings to the table is more than tackles.
So I will agree with one poster on this but not his reasoning.

When Rey isn't in there, teams can gash us. (Look at the run D when he is out the last 2 years) 
When he is in there, teams try to run away from him or at the very least get him moving laterally. (which is why he should have stayed at SLB)

Fun fact: They lined Rey at NT on the goal line. It worked. 
Reply/Quote

well some stats is better than no stats when it comes to linebackers... bottom line he is not near the middle or bottom in tackles for linebackers after three games.. that does give some comparison.. I don't know all inside linebackers in the league outside of the elite .. so until i get some stats from someone that has a nice comparison of inside linebackers.. i will use mine plus what i see on the field.  Rey is a run stopper that is what is most needed from him.. he is off the field in most passing downs like many other middle linebackers.. his angles are not perfect for sure but over the first three games I thought he played pretty well and that is what the poster was referring too when he called him mediocre at best.
Reply/Quote
Remember there is being in shape, and being in football shape. Considering he hasn't played any form of football since last season, time is indeed a factor. I would like to get the Pro Bowl LB back also, but Bengals will have 4 games over with. At some point in the season, if he isn't back, you have to consider it too late to get him caught up and in football shape. I don't know it that is after 8 games, or what, but I'm sure there is a date that if he isn't back by then, he is put on the list where he can't play in 2015. Lifting weights and such is not the same as putting on the pads and hitting and getting hit and getting into top football shape. If we get him back, fine....if we don't, Bengals go on without him. 3-0 so far without him.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
You know your LB corps is in trouble when Rey M is your best player. Seriously though, he is playing decent and he is our best LB atm so that should tell you all you need to know.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2015, 07:05 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: When do we think he'll be back? The first Steelers game is in week 8, right? I thought I heard he could be back by then. If he is really 100%...man oh man. I'm salivatin'.

He is on the PUP list so he has to sit out the first six weeks.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 01:00 PM)PV Bengal Wrote: Having had microfracture surgery myself, I'm guessing that Burfict will not be "his old self" this season. I was on crutches for 12 weeks after the surgery and even now (4 years later) the knee still gives me trouble sometimes.

Granted ... I was 60, not in my mid-20s, when I had the surgery, but if anyone thinks that Tez will be 100% this year is smoking funny cigarettes.

Even if he's not 100% he will be a huge improvement to our defense. The biggest reason why Burfict is such a good LB is his instincts, leadership, and his toughness IMO. Even if his knee isn't 100% he still should be playing good.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 11:09 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: He is on the PUP list so he has to sit out the first six weeks.

And he can't practice, so add 3 weeks of practice to get back in form to that....
Reply/Quote
We will see with Burfict, i have no info on how he is in football shape or anything else of the sort.

But hopefully he can work himself into being the man he once was. Right now i would like for us to
start working in Dawson a bit instead of Lamur. I am done with that dude, i used to think Lamur might
be a great player but it don't look like that is happenin'.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 11:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And he can't practice, so add 3 weeks of practice to get back in form to that....

He can't practice, but he can still use the workout room.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 02:08 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: well some stats is better than no stats when it comes to linebackers... bottom line he is not near the middle or bottom in tackles for linebackers after three games.. that does give some comparison.. I don't know all inside linebackers in the league outside of the elite .. so until i get some stats from someone that has a nice comparison of inside linebackers.. i will use mine plus what i see on the field.  Rey is a run stopper that is what is most needed from him.. he is off the field in most passing downs like many other middle linebackers.. his angles are not perfect for sure but over the first three games I thought he played pretty well and that is what the poster was referring too when he called him mediocre at best.

I challenge you to pay special attention to him against chiefs. Dont lookonly at what he does do, but pay attention to what he doesnt do.many times he quits on the play when a ball carrier get behind him or latteral to him at 5yds away. Your vision will be restored.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2015, 09:27 PM)kevin Wrote: Remember there is being in shape, and being in football shape. Considering he hasn't played any form of football since last season, time is indeed a factor.  I would like to get the Pro Bowl LB back also, but Bengals will have 4 games over with. At some point in the season, if he isn't back, you have to consider it too late to get him caught up and in football shape. I don't know it that is after 8 games, or what, but I'm sure there is a date that if he isn't back by then, he is put on the list where he can't play in 2015.  Lifting weights and such is not the same as putting on the pads and hitting and getting hit and getting into top football shape. If we get him back, fine....if we don't, Bengals go on without him. 3-0 so far without him.

I may be wrong, but I believe  the Bengals have a 3 week window after week 6 to activate Burfict. I believe he will be permitted to start practicing with the team after week 6 and our bye so he will get a full 2 weeks of practice minimum to shake off the rust before being activated.

I have a hunch he will be more than ready. ML stated it was a tough decision outing him on IR. I think Burfict was expected to be ready by week 3 or 4, but they decided to be safe with him. I respect and agree with the decision. If so, this means he may be ready right now and each week is adding conditioning and strength which would be a great thing for him and the team.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
This article from early last month has some good info: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/10/vontaze-burfict-vows-to-be-ready-come-nov-1-steelers-game/

he’s confident the microfracture surgery he had to combat persistent knee problems will enable him to be back on the field by their Nov. 1 game against the Steelers.

“I feel good,” Burfict told Jim Owczarski of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “I feel better than when I had the first ‘scope. That’s why I had to get the microfracture. But now I feel better than when I did before. So just keep going day-by-day and try and get to 100 percent.”

Burfict injured his knee last October against the Ravens, and had an arthroscopic procedure soon thereafter. But it didn’t respond, and he finished the year on IR. After undergoing microfracture in January, there have been persistent questions about when or if he’d return.

“I was just going to focus on my lower body, and I’m just putting everything together now, and in seven weeks he thought it was going to be practical for me to get back on the field. Now I’m going through my own little training camp you could pretty much say.”

Burfict can return to practice following the Oct. 18 game against the Bills, allowing him a chance to prove he can hit his new timeline, which will be impressive given what he’s been through.

Emphasis mine.

Edit: More information (and I'd suggest not reading it unless you want to get a bit depressed -- it sounds like recovery from this surgery is far from a sure thing): 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery#Use_in_professional_sports

Reply/Quote