Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return of Rudi Rudi Rudi
It's no ring of honor but still cool. Tiger Rudis always been one of my favorites.

Quote:When Rudi Johnson and the rest of about 15 Bengals legends are introduced to the Paul Brown Stadium crowd before Sunday’s game (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 19), the chant will no doubt start somewhere.

“Rudi, Rudi, Rudi.”

That will take you back about a decade and more, back when the Bengals not only socked away wins with the running game but relished the very act of getting four yards per carry. There is no coincidence that while the 5-10, 220-pound Johnson pin-balled his way to the franchise’s two greatest rushing seasons in 2004 and 2005 the Bengals finally contended in the new AFC North and won it in 2005.

“It’s always nice to hear. Music to my ears,” Johnson says of the chant that defined his Cincinnati career. “That always got me through and it got my teammates through. That’s how we closed out games. Those guys would be blocking for me. Big Will (Anderson), and Levi (Jones) and Richie (Braham) and (Andrew) Whitworth and (Eric) Steinbach and those types of guys. Whenever we heard that, we knew it was close-out time. It’s always good to hear.”

Two other players from those 2005 AFC North champions are expected to be a part of this Legends Weekend, anchored by Hall-of-Famer Anthony Munoz and all-time leading scorer Jim Breech. The Bengals all-time leading receiver Chad Johnson and Shayne Graham, the man behind Breech on
the list, join Rudi Johnson to represent the team that went 11-5 for the first of head coach Marvin Lewis’ four division titles.

It is Rudi Johnson’s first visit to PBS since 2008 Cut Down Day when he was released in a move that stung Bengaldom even though it took no one by surprise since his name had surfaced in trade rumors the week before. Just a year removed from a 1,309-yard season, a bout of nagging injuries at age 28 reduced his carries by half in 2007 but a blue collar crowd favorite is a blue collar crowd favorite.

“It was always more business for me than personal. I’m a businessman,” Rudi Johnson says. “The Bengals gave me an opportunity and I took it. I hope the way I played shows my appreciation.”

Now 36, Johnson is still the businessman living in Miami, where he dabbles in several ventures, ranging from real estate

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Return-of-Rudi-Rudi-Rudi/c0bc8525-2688-4e0a-b93f-a46a736bcd81
Reply/Quote
Lots of people on the message boards hated Rudi back then. I would guess most of them are over that by now.
Reply/Quote
I will make sure to boo the hell out of Shayne Graham when that dweeb is announced.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 04:23 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I will make sure to boo the hell out of Shayne Graham when that dweeb is announced.

Why? He's probably better than the guy that will suit up on Sunday.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fred is banned? What did I miss?
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 06:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fred is banned?  What did I miss?

RIP what happened  Ninja
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
A. Rudi Johnson was way too short lived to be considered a "Bengal Great".

B. Really, what did fredtoast finally do to get "banned", or at least suspended?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I remember when he first started getting carries. This team had an embarrassment of riches, that much is for certain. You could get big yards on the ground, or through the air to Chad and Housh. Fun games to watch.

Reply/Quote
lol hope they honor fred too.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 08:10 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I remember when he first started getting carries. This team had an embarrassment of riches, that much is for certain. You could get big yards on the ground, or through the air to Chad and Housh. Fun games to watch.

You mean an actual OL, that included a legitimate Center?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You mean an actual OL, that included a legitimate Center?

I barely remember what strong run blocking looks like. I get reminders sometimes, when I watch other teams.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This video is how picture Fred right about now. Severe withdrawl symptoms. He's begging and bartering with mods to just let him in so he can get his fix. He's got the shakes, the sweats, and looks like death. Hes probably arguing with himself in an MS Word document just to keep from losing his mind.

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 04:25 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This video is how picture Fred right about now. Severe withdrawl symptoms. He's begging and bartering with mods to just let him in so he can get his fix. He's got the shakes, the sweats, and looks like death. Hes probably arguing with himself in an MS Word document just to keep from losing his mind.

I'm thinking he's puling a De Niro in The King of Comedy, but instead of Jerry Lewis and Liza Minnelli, he's talking to cardboard cut-outs of Mike and Marv, while a cardboard Lap "whispers" in the background.

[Image: Comedy.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I used to love it back in the day when Bengals' announcer Brad Johansen used to say, "Touchdown, RUUUUUDI!" Back when the Bengals had a legitimate offensive line, Brad said that a lot.
Reply/Quote