Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reuben Foster out of combine for shoulder surgery
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/13/reuben-foster-out-of-combine-after-shoulder-surgery/

This gives me pause if I am the Bengals. We have had a rough time with 1st rounders missing their rookie year. TO take someone that high who is already injured would be a major red flag for me. I think he is a great talent, but we don't have the luxury of red shirting 1st rounders anymore.
Reply/Quote
4 months recovery time, he should be ready for camp....
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 02:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: 4 months recovery time, he should be ready for camp....

We have heard that before. I am just saying if someone is close on our board, I'd rather go with the one who we aren't hoping makes it back for camp.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I would be shocked if he is high on the Bengals list of priorities.

If you read the tea leaves, they really like what Vigil showed them last year, so I'm guessing he gets penciled in alongside Burfict. This is a 2 LB starting unit, so I highly doubt they see this spot as a priority.
Reply/Quote
We don't need to draft another injured 1st round pick.

I'd take him off my list.

Granted, I didn't really want to draft a LB anyway.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 05:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Honestly, I would be shocked if he is high on the Bengals list of priorities.

If you read the tea leaves, they really like what Vigil showed them last year, so I'm guessing he gets penciled in alongside Burfict.  This is a 2 LB starting unit, so I highly doubt they see this spot as a priority.

My thought exactly. Vigil and burfict will be starting lb. Drafting Foster means Foster or vigil would play less than 30 percent of snaps per game. 
Reply/Quote
He'll be fine. A young athlete can heal at an incredible rate, compared to average people. Heck, I had my shoulder completely rebuilt just 6 months ago, my Dr. has cleared me to resume competition in Strongman, and I'll be 48 real soon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He'll be fine.  A young athlete can heal at an incredible rate, compared to average people.  Heck, I had my shoulder completely rebuilt just 6 months ago, my Dr. has cleared me to resume competition in Strongman, and I'll be 48 real soon.

Maybe, but the point has been raised that a lot of Alabama players tend to come into the league banged up and are typically injury prone their first couple of years.  We've seen it first hand with Andre and Dre.  You would like to have Foster for rookie/mini camps if you plan on starting him week 1.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 11:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: Maybe, but the point has been raised that a lot of Alabama players tend to come into the league banged up and are typically injury prone their first couple of years.  We've seen it first hand with Andre and Dre.  You would like to have Foster for rookie/mini camps if you plan on starting him week 1.

You make a valid point and don't forget AJM was on IR his rookie year. 

Of all the injuries that bother me about a LB, shoulder is at the top. Let's just hope the light clicks on for PJ Lawson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 12:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You make a valid point and don't forget AJM was on IR his rookie year. 

Of all the injuries that bother me about a LB, shoulder is at the top. Let's just hope the light clicks on for PJ Lawson

I think there are a couple of LB's that may fall to us in 2, Haasan Reddick and Jarrad Davis, who could immediate impact starters for us.  Supposedly, the Eagles are shopping Mychael Kendricks, and may cut him if they can't trade him, and he would be an upgrade athletically for us.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 12:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You make a valid point and don't forget AJM was on IR his rookie year. 

That is a good point that I hadn't even considered.  There does seem to be a high number of 'Bama players that come into the league damaged.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
That's alright we have a loooot of options at 9.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 06:51 PM)Jpoore Wrote: My thought exactly. Vigil and burfict will be starting lb. Drafting Foster means Foster or vigil would play less than 30 percent of snaps per game. 

Neither are middle linebackers. The thought is Vigil will be our LOLB and Burfict is our ROLB. We need a MLB, one could say if we actually had a MLB that could cover we could go base personnel more often as they wouldn't be such a liability in coverage like we have had in the middle for a while now.
Reply/Quote
That's fine.  Give me that Vanderbilt LB instead.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 10:47 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: That's fine.  Give me that Vanderbilt LB instead.

I don't think they will look to him at 9. I think they are looking 2nd or 3rd based on an article Hobson posted earlier in the off season.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 10:18 AM)Au165 Wrote: Neither are middle linebackers. The thought is Vigil will be our LOLB and Burfict is our ROLB. We need a MLB, one could say if we actually had a MLB that could cover we could go base personnel more often as they wouldn't be such a liability in coverage like we have had in the middle for a while now.

No, we wouldn't.  You aren't going to put a MLB on the field when the other team is running 3 WR sets, you put a corner out there.  Marvin has said over and over that he views the nickel CB as a starter, which is why we are always drafting corners.

The league has completely changed, you don't see the true MLB in the game as much and I doubt you will ever really see one here as long as Marvin and Guenther are running the defense.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 04:40 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: No, we wouldn't.  You aren't going to put a MLB on the field when the other team is running 3 WR sets, you put a corner out there.  Marvin has said over and over that he views the nickel CB as a starter, which is why we are always drafting corners.

The league has completely changed, you don't see the true MLB in the game as much and I doubt you will ever really see one here as long as Marvin and Guenther are running the defense.

Actually it's the LOLB that normally comes off the field when teams are in passing situation. The ROLB and MLB for most teams stay on the field because they are your most athletic linebackers. It's the MLB of value we are missing, not the LOLB. In Seattle however they run their base personnel in 3 wide sets, normally only changing for four wide sets, they do similar things in Atlanata. We could get away with it too with the right MLB because we don't run man coverage all that often. Your not going to man up a LB on a slot WR, but in zone you can do it with success.
Reply/Quote
I think we'd be alright with bringing in an FA and targeting a LB in the 2nd or 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 11:32 AM)treee Wrote: I think we'd be alright with bringing in an FA and targeting a LB in the 2nd or 3rd.

I am kind of leaning that way as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 01:34 AM)Whatever Wrote: I think there are a couple of LB's that may fall to us in 2, Haasan Reddick and Jarrad Davis, who could immediate impact starters for us.  Supposedly, the Eagles are shopping Mychael Kendricks, and may cut him if they can't trade him, and he would be an upgrade athletically for us.

McMillan is currently projected as an early 2nd. I would prefer the route of grabbing a good DE at 9 (Allen, Thomas, Taco) and McMillan in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote