Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revised Top 3 rounds: From a SIM
21: R1P21
DL VITA VEA
WASHINGTON

There simply aren't many people on the planet with his size, strength, and athleticism. I don't think the Bengals would do it, as they don't value DT highly enough to warrant a first round pick, but when he was there I had to take him. No more problems stopping the run, and helps keep our LBs clean. FWIW, all the top OTs were gone, and there were still plenty of C on the board.

46: R2P14
LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
BOISE STATE

Again, I bet the fan base would implode when the defense gets the first two picks, but couldn't believe this guy was available. He is the new prototypical MLB that has the speed to stay on the field in nickel packages. A playmaker with high character.

77: R3P13
C FRANK RAGNOW
ARKANSAS

I was prepared to go with the guy from Bama, as a big mauler in the middle, but was pleased to see Ragnow available. Many folks here will say there is no way he would last this long, but not every team looks at Center as desperately as the Bengals fans right now.

100: R3P36
TE MIKE GESICKI
PENN STATE

A steal. Showed a lot more athleticism than people expected at the combine and is a versatile chess piece for Lazor. Loved watching this guy. Eifert can be let go without a new contract after this year and the Bengals could get a very nice compensatory pick Sick if he has a good season and gets a big contract elsewhere.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thats a really nice haul. What simulator did you use?

It wouldnt surprise me if Ragnow dropped for reasons you alluded to. Don't see Gesicki falling that far though. I'd rather get Arden Key with the second pick, then go LB Griffen at 100. Were those two available? I like Griffen a lot more than Vander Esche. Then I'd go TE in the 4th round. Nice draft though.
Reply/Quote
I get it's a sim, but last 3 picks all seem like they will be gone at least 20-30 spots earlier. If it fell that way though, I would be beyond pumped!
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 12:23 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Thats a really nice haul. What simulator did you use?

It wouldnt surprise me if Ragnow dropped for reasons you alluded to. Don't see Gesicki falling that far though. I'd rather get Arden Key with the second pick, then go LB Griffen at 100. Were those two available? I like Griffen a lot more than Vander Esche. Then I'd go TE in the 4th round. Nice draft though.

Arden Key went WAY early, which I found odd...I used Walter Football as the draft rankings and first-pick.com.  I love Griffen, too, especially the speed he has to cover TEs, but since we only have our MLB signed for one year, I thought Vander Esche could be a long-term solution to what seems to be an endless problem.  Maybe Griffen would be available in the fourth?  We clearly need more than one, and that kid is also a special teams demon as well as a possible nickel edge rusher on a blitz. 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 02:42 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: I get it's a sim, but last 3 picks all seem like they will be gone at least 20-30 spots earlier.  If it fell that way though, I would be beyond pumped!

LOTS of QBs early, lots of DEs early, and lots of CBs early....none of which are really big Bengal needs (depending on who you ask Hilarious)
Reply/Quote
Would love the last 3 picks but I can't State this enough I hate the first pick. If this was 2005 ok but it is 2018 would rather draft Hurst then Vea.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 05:42 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Would love the last 3 picks but I can't State this enough I hate the first pick. If this was 2005 ok but it is 2018  would rather draft Hurst then Vea.

Have you not seen Gesicki operate on the sideline routes?  Dude's catching ability and body control is up there with AJ's.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 07:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Have you not seen Gesicki operate on the sideline routes?  Dude's catching ability and body control is up there with AJ's.

I was talking about Maurice Hurst the DT from Michigan.
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 05:42 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Would love the last 3 picks but I can't State this enough I hate the first pick. If this was 2005 ok but it is 2018  would rather draft Hurst then Vea.

We don't need another Geno-type player that wouldn't be as stout in the rush defense.  Those great Raven defenses in early 2000 had huge bodies in the middle that freed up everyone else.  Vea isn't just big:  he is extremely agile and quick for a big man.  I saw him tackle a RB in the open field from behind and my eyes about fell out of my head.  

I am not saying you are wrong and I am right, but the team really struggled with no big body in the middle last year.  He us freakishly strong, big, and fast.  There are simply not many people on the planet that can do what he can do.  

I like Hurst, if we weren't extending Geno...and any playing time Hurst would get would come at Geno's expense. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 08:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We don't need another Geno-type player that wouldn't be as stout in the rush defense.  Those great Raven defenses in early 2000 had huge bodies in the middle that freed up everyone else.  Vea isn't just big:  he is extremely agile and quick for a big man.  I saw him tackle a RB in the open field from behind and my eyes about fell out of my head.  

I am not saying you are wrong and I am right, but the team really struggled with no big body in the middle last year.  He us freakishly strong, big, and fast.  There are simply not many people on the planet that can do what he can do.  

I like Hurst, if we weren't extending Geno...and any playing time Hurst would get would come at Geno's expense. 

We get killed when Geno isn't on the field though and he is on the wrong side of 30 as well. I think Vea is a good player but his position isn't valuable anymore it's just like the Sam LB or FB.  It's like drafting a center in Basketball because he is a good post defender but in reality you need a big that can defend against the pick roll.
J24

Reply/Quote