Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rex Burkhead
(12-23-2015, 11:13 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: ^this^ and as Rocker pointed out, the entire blocking scheme needs improving. Little about it looks 'inspired', plus having Gio pick up blitzes puts him in mis-matches often it seems. Everything looks like it's a 'bubble off', so to speak. 

Much has been written about how long this group has been together etc. Why they don't collectively play "pissed" every game is beyond me, especially after how obvious the need to ramp it up and keep it there is/has been for some time now. It's the NFL. You don't let up period, if you want the best shot at winning that is ....

^This^

Our blocking from every player has been completely uninspired, flat, and just bad.  Their blocking is like oh gawd I'll just play patty cake for a second and then I'm done.

If this doesn't change for the Denver game and of course beyond here comes - it's the same.... old song........
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:05 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Seriously? They couldn't block EVERYONE and decide for the RB where to go? 

[Image: 34o4iyq.png]

Part of the problem in both photos is that Hill seems to pick poor gaps to run through.  In the first photo he should have run to the right of Hewitt.   Zeitler (I think) had enough control of his man that Hill should have been able to hit the hole.   I could be wrong.  The positions of the defensive players may look that way in response to Hill's cutting back, but it looks like he could have made it through that hole.

In the second photo it looks like Hill could have cut hard behind Burkhead and made some yardage.

I don't have the benefit of seeing the play developing.   I'm just saying it appears that Hill's vision is suspect.
Reply/Quote
Hill has missed the "hole/gap" all season, look at a majority of his runs and he misses the hole.....which is shocking as much tiptoeing as he has done behind the line
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 02:48 PM)3wt Wrote: Part of the problem in both photos is that Hill seems to pick poor gaps to run through.  In the first photo he should have run to the right of Hewitt.   Zeitler (I think) had enough control of his man that Hill should have been able to hit the hole.   I could be wrong.  The positions of the defensive players may look that way in response to Hill's cutting back, but it looks like he could have made it through that hole.

In the second photo it looks like Hill could have cut hard behind Burkhead and made some yardage.

I don't have the benefit of seeing the play developing.   I'm just saying it appears that Hill's vision is suspect.

You're exactly right. The yards were there. Hill didn't get them. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 02:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Here's about all I need to know about Whitworth.....

As a redshirt freshman he started every game, and was a first-team Freshman All-American. As a sophomore in 2003, he started all 14 games.  He led the team with 1008 snaps and credited with 105 key blocks, including 82 knockdowns.  Then he moved to LT in 2005. He played every offensive snap in nine of the 13 contests, for an offense that averaged 374.1 yards per game. By not allowing a sack all season, he finished his career with 22 straight games of no sacks allowed. He was credited with 104 key blocks/knockdowns.

His 52 career starts from 2002-05 rank second in NCAA Division I history. He earned All-Southeastern Conference first-team honors in each of his last two seasons, including a consensus nod as a senior.

I mean, hell, *I* could "coach up" a guy like this, and I haven't sniffed a football field in almost 20 years!

Boling was a first team PFW All American going into the draft, and considered a top prospect at guard.

That's why Barrett Jones is the best OL in the NFL...or that means nothing when you get to the NFL. 
If Whitworth had the pure talent you claim he does, he would have gone top 5 in the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 05:17 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's why Barrett Jones is the best OL in the NFL...or that means nothing when you get to the NFL. 
If Whitworth had the pure talent you claim he does, he would have gone top 5 in the draft. 

Look at the snaps played.  It tells me that Whit is a gamer, hard worker, and doesn't let little nagging injuries sideline him.  In other words, you have something to work with.  The talent is the icing on the cake.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 05:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Look at the snaps played.  It tells me that Whit is a gamer, hard worker, and doesn't let little nagging injuries sideline him.  In other words, you have something to work with.  The talent is the icing on the cake.

Lol. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 06:20 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Lol. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. 

Ok....so if you think that a guy who plays at an All American level and leads a National Championship team in snaps....has outstanding stats in the powerhouse conference at the time (at two positions no less).....leaves the game 2nd in all time snaps played in the NCAA isn't a gamer....then yeah....we most certainly disagree. 

He was drafted as a G , was he not? That couldn't have a thing to do with draft position ....could it? I mean 55 overall is still no slouch....especially for a G.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 07:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ok....so if you think that a guy who plays at an All American level and leads a National Championship team in snaps....has outstanding stats in the powerhouse conference at the time (at two positions no less).....leaves the game 2nd in all time snaps played in the NCAA isn't a gamer....then yeah....we most certainly disagree. 

He was drafted as a G , was he not? That couldn't have a thing to do with draft position ....could it?  I mean 55 overall is still no slouch....especially for a G.

dude.
I never said he wasn't a gamer.

He was drafted to be a tackle by Paul Alexander, whereas most SCOUTS said he would probably have to be a guard or RT at best.
But you can't pull the stick out of your ass long enough to give PA any credit for anything at all. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 02:48 PM)3wt Wrote: Part of the problem in both photos is that Hill seems to pick poor gaps to run through.  In the first photo he should have run to the right of Hewitt.   Zeitler (I think) had enough control of his man that Hill should have been able to hit the hole.   I could be wrong.  The positions of the defensive players may look that way in response to Hill's cutting back, but it looks like he could have made it through that hole.

(12-23-2015, 03:35 PM)corpjet Wrote: Hill has missed the "hole/gap" all season, look at a majority of his runs and he misses the hole.....which is shocking as much tiptoeing as he has done behind the line

(12-23-2015, 05:16 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: You're exactly right. The yards were there. Hill didn't get them. 
I don't know what's going on but it seems Hill is either thinking too much after getting the ball(secure it/follow blocks)and not just hitting it.

The other troubling thing is him going down from simple arm tackles and grabs.

I attribute this to him not moving forward and more laterally.  That little hop skip thing he's trying to do.

It really takes something away from his velocity.

Now those runs designed for inside of the pile for 1 yard gains when the box is stacked is all on the line, and the QB not checking out of the play or having another option.

Sometimes out manned by the D and filling the gaps yet trying to run the ball directly into it is a design for failure IMO.  No matter who is the back.

On a side note I always hated Peko playing FB...  but at this point on those much needed one yard or less plays maybe he needs to be in there.

His fat ass can plug up two oncoming defenders that's for sure.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 10:53 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: It's not just them... Even though they have been poor at times.

Especially Bodine.

The other blocking from receivers, running backs  and tight ends have not been very good either.

Spot on, the Receivers, RB's and TE's need to block much better along with Bodine and the boys.

But the OP has a good thought. Hill has not been near as good catching the ball either this year.

Rex has great hands, better than Hill.

That used to be one of Hill's strengths last year too and in college. The dude has fell off this year in lots of ways.

Sucks, hope he finds his stuff again. Mentally seems to be the problem with Hill this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 10:27 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't know what's going on but it seems Hill is either thinking too much after getting the ball(secure it/follow blocks)and not just hitting it.

The other troubling thing is him going down from simple arm tackles and grabs.

I attribute this to him not moving forward and more laterally.  That little hop skip thing he's trying to do.

It really takes something away from his velocity.

Now those runs designed for inside of the pile for 1 yard gains when the box is stacked is all on the line, and the QB not checking out of the play or having another option.

Sometimes out manned by the D and filling the gaps yet trying to run the ball directly into it is a design for failure IMO.  No matter who is the back.

On a side note I always hated Peko playing FB...  but at this point on those much needed one yard or less plays maybe he needs to be in there.

His fat ass can plug up two oncoming defenders that's for sure.

It seems like that's what we've been seeing way too much of, without any adjustments being made unless Andy passes or scrambles his way around it.  We have to hope Hue and the rest are working out some solutions to this.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 02:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: I mean, hell, *I* could "coach up" a guy like this, and I haven't sniffed a football field in almost 20 years!

Boling was a first team PFW All American going into the draft, and considered a top prospect at guard.

Boling was a 4th rounder.

And your claim that you could turn a 2nd round pick into the best LT in the league just shows how ignorant you are about the NFL.  Every year there are lots of first round picks that are complete flops.  Alexander has never had a top pick flop like most other O-line coaches in the league have. 

And blaming Alexander for the O-line problems of the 90's shows how little you know about the Bengals. From 1992 to 2002 the Bengals used a total of ONE pick in the first two rounds on an offensive lineman, and only 2 more in the third round. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 08:01 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: dude.
I never said he wasn't a gamer.

He was drafted to be a tackle by Paul Alexander, whereas most SCOUTS said he would probably have to be a guard or RT at best.
But you can't pull the stick out of your ass long enough to give PA any credit for anything at all. 

He started at G.....then moved to tackle after what...2, 3 years?  On the staffs of the 2nd worst decade in all of professional sports history....would be #1 if not for an 0-16 season. Thanks Detroit.  I'm not going to give him any credit.....he's average at best.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Boling was a 4th rounder.

And your claim that you could turn a 2nd round pick into the best LT in the league just shows how ignorant you are about the NFL.  Every year there are lots of first round picks that are complete flops.  Alexander has never had a top pick flop like most other O-line coaches in the league have. 

And blaming Alexander for the O-line problems of the 90's shows how little you know about the Bengals. From 1992 to 2002 the Bengals used a total of ONE pick in the first two rounds on an offensive lineman, and only 2 more in the third round. 

Obvious hyperbole.  And I'm the ignorant one?  Ppffftttttp !!!!!!!!  

Boling was considered one of the best guards in his draft.  Your incessant rambling does nothing to change that.

No one is blaming him.  I see people saying he's not that good.  Then a couple of you run in on some goddamned crusade like he's a 1st ballot HOFer.  If he's so great , he should be able to mask weaknesses and coach subpar players to at least be serviceable.  He didn't then, and he can't now. That's the point. He's Mikey's boy , and that's why he's still here....not some mystic coaching prowess that has somehow managed to keep him as an oline coach in midwestern America his entire career.  Spare me.......

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2015, 07:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: He started at G.....then moved to tackle after what...2, 3 years?  On the staffs of the 2nd worst decade in all of professional sports history....would be #1 if not for an 0-16 season. Thanks Detroit.  I'm not going to give him any credit.....he's average at best.

He played LG due to injury.
He moved to LT when Levi left for good. 

Similar to how Fisher and Ogbuehi are being treated now
Reply/Quote
This thread is titled 'Rex Burkhead.'

Merry Christmas you grumpy old men Wink
Reply/Quote
Sexy Rexy
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
"TD Rex-a-saurus , Tex-Rex, Rex the wonder dog, bringing Rexium relief, the Home Rex-er"

[Image: nbc105-9-15-98-snl.jpg]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2015, 08:38 AM)TGISunday Wrote: This thread is titled 'Rex Burkhead.'

Merry Christmas you grumpy old men Wink

LOL Touche

Merry Christmas!

Reply/Quote