Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rex Burkhead
Im not sure why we never give this guy an opportunity to play.  `The only thing I ever see out of this guy is maximum effort everytime we call his number.  I know his runs were in garbage time last week vs Browns but did you see how quick his lateral jump cuts were in the hole? 

I know he is way more agile than he is fast but I really think this team needs to find a way to get him 3-5 carries a game and a 5-10 other plays working out of the slot or RB. 

Would love to see us create matchup problems with having him and Gio in the game on 3rd downs.  Both of these guys working option routes vs LB should almost guarantee we pick up and 3rd and 5 or shorter.

Patriots have been doing similar concept with Edelman / James White and/or Dion Lewis and formerly Shane Vereen. Most notably in the SB vs a very good Seahawks defense.

With how bad our RT is struggling we need to get ball out of Daltons hand quickly and Gio and Burkhead would be great at getting open quickly for him.
Reply/Quote
There really is nothing special about Rex Burkhead, he is a fine #3 back but let's slow down on him a bit. I think it's funny the game he gets a couple carries and looks decent no one seems to find it funny it was the same game we had one back go for 160 and another for 80.....maybe the Browns made everyone look good?
Reply/Quote
Maybe.  But I am more focused on just how quick his lateral agility is in the hole.  That jump cut he made to his right and then back left would have looked great against any opponent.  Once again, it was garbage time, but the athleticism of the move itself really caught my attention. 
Reply/Quote
I know they gambled on Erickson and they want to give him time and experience, but still in the hunt like they are, don't see why they don't use Rex as the main KR. He has looked much better and confident than Erickson has.
Reply/Quote
Brian Leonard syndrome. Yeah he could use a couple more touches a game. Maybe 3/4 per, but if he's used in any level of an extensive form, he'll be less effective on special teams (Which is already terrible so we can't afford making it worse). He's not special anywhere and he has 2 backs ahead of him who have about 20x the talent. He's fine in his role and when he inevitaby leaves he'll probably be effective. But he doesn't need more snaps here as a result
Reply/Quote
Rex has never done anything that makes me think he should get more touches.

Career totals 19 carries for a 3.7 average, 18 receptions for an 8.5 average, 4 KR for 19.5 avg.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 12:37 PM)CoreyK Wrote: Im not sure why we never give this guy an opportunity to play.  `The only thing I ever see out of this guy is maximum effort everytime we call his number.  I know his runs were in garbage time last week vs Browns but did you see how quick his lateral jump cuts were in the hole? 

I know he is way more agile than he is fast but I really think this team needs to find a way to get him 3-5 carries a game and a 5-10 other plays working out of the slot or RB. 

Would love to see us create matchup problems with having him and Gio in the game on 3rd downs.  Both of these guys working option routes vs LB should almost guarantee we pick up and 3rd and 5 or shorter.

Patriots have been doing similar concept with Edelman / James White and/or Dion Lewis and formerly Shane Vereen.  Most notably in the SB vs a very good Seahawks defense.  

With how bad our RT is struggling we need to get ball out of Daltons hand quickly and Gio and Burkhead would be great at getting open quickly for him.

To be honest, if you are not copying, you are not trying. With that being said, not only do we have the personnel to copy the Patriots, we have two running backs with some of the best hands in the NFL (Bernard - Burkhead), It is disgusting to see the Patiorts run up the score with their simple A*ss looking offense
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 05:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rex has never done anything that makes me think he should get more touches.

Career totals 19 carries for a 3.7 average, 18 receptions for an 8.5 average, 4 KR for 19.5 avg.

Not saying that we should take touches away from Hill or Bernard, but 8.5 yards per catch is pretty good.  Haven't watched him closely enough to know how well he picks up the blitz, but he would be a good outlet receiver on 3rd downs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 06:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not saying that we should take touches away from Hill or Bernard, but 8.5 yards per catch is pretty good.  Haven't watched him closely enough to know how well he picks up the blitz, but he would be a good outlet receiver on 3rd downs.

I would like to see this option as well, until this offense is clicking more on third downs/redzone plays...both are really killing this team this season.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 06:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not saying that we should take touches away from Hill or Bernard, but 8.5 yards per catch is pretty good.  Haven't watched him closely enough to know how well he picks up the blitz, but he would be a good outlet receiver on 3rd downs.

All for what Sunset says here and CoreyK is right about the Pat comparison. Rex is very quick with great hands and
some nice cutback moves unlike Hill right now. Say what you want about how talented Hill is but his cutbacks are not
his strong suit. Nothing wrong with using a variety of skills at different positions.

Rex brings a variety of skills and has great hands.

Rex is also decent at picking up the blitz unlike Jeremy Hill who has atleast 2 sacks attributed to him alone IMHO this
year. The Dallas game and the Pats game.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 12:37 PM)CoreyK Wrote: Im not sure why we never give this guy an opportunity to play.  `The only thing I ever see out of this guy is maximum effort everytime we call his number.  I know his runs were in garbage time last week vs Browns but did you see how quick his lateral jump cuts were in the hole? 

Patriots have been doing similar concept with Edelman / James White and/or Dion Lewis and formerly Shane Vereen.  Most notably in the SB vs a very good Seahawks defense.  

What if he's gay? Ninja
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 05:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rex has never done anything that makes me think he should get more touches.

Tongue in cheek? Pretty solid numbers.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

Geoff, he would be a star in New England.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 12:55 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I know they gambled on Erickson and they want to give him time and experience, but still in the hunt like they are, don't see why they don't use Rex as the main KR.  He has looked much better and confident than Erickson has.

THIS and a few plays per game like the ones mentioned by OP. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

Come on Debbie...give the kid a chance. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Went to Citrus Bowl Nebraska vs Georgia with a friend who was a big Georgia fan. As the game progressed I starting noticing #22 for Nebraska. He was killing it. I believe around 130 yards rushing, 37 receiving, 2 TDS.
I asked two Nebraska fans who #22 was. I thought he was great. One said "that's Burkhead, he's a work horse." I asked if he would get drafted. They said no. I couldn't believe the talent I just saw wouldn't get drafted. I starting following him. (That's why I'm now a Bengal fan). At the combine he scored in top 5 in three categories. He has never gotten a chance. He has less carries than every other back taken in that draft. I'll be happy when his contract is up and he's picked up by another team. We'll finally get to see just how good he is.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 10:21 PM)tlotharw Wrote: Geoff, he would be a star in New England.

Joking aside, Bill would probably make Rex a Pro Bowler. We all know this is truth.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Because our coaching staff has no idea how to utilize players or how to get players involved in the game plan. Burkhead does nothing but make plays when he gets a chance.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 11:50 AM)Crowe Wrote:  Burkhead does nothing but make plays when he gets a chance.

By averaging 3.7 per carry?  In 19 carries he has converted 3 first downs (including one td) but has also fumbled once. The longest run of his career was 12 yards.

Only 8 of his 18 receptions have converted first downs.  His longest reception is 27 yards and he has averaged 8.5 per catch.

Seriously what have all you guys seen that makes you think Burkhead "makes plays"?
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 11:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: By averaging 3.7 per carry?  In 19 carries he has converted 3 first downs (including one td) but has also fumbled once. The longest run of his career was 12 yards.

Only 8 of his 18 receptions have converted first downs.  His longest reception is 27 yards and he has averaged 8.5 per catch.

Seriously what have all you guys seen that makes you think Burkhead "makes plays"?

Has made a few nice ones on ST's.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote