Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rex Burkhead
(10-28-2016, 11:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Seriously what have all you guys seen that makes you think Burkhead "makes plays"?

I'lll say it. It's because he is white.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 12:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'lll say it. It's because he is white.

I wa trying to stay away from that, but I agree.

But that is not all it is about.  There were also people here who claimed Bernard Scott would be a star on another team if he ever got the chance.  Same with Cedric Peerman.  After he broke off that long run in  a preseason game there were a lot of fans saying he should be our starting RB.
Reply/Quote
We need to cut hill and keep Burkhead. I've said this for months.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 12:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'lll say it. It's because he is white.

I couldn't disagree more.  I think people that know of him and have watched time with him are very realistic.

Is he more talented than Bennard and Hill?  I'd break it down like this:

40 yard dash:
Gio:  4.53
Hill: 4.66
Burkhead:  4.73

With those numbers and in general Gio and Hill both have better long speed..........I would not dispute that and most wouldn't even suggest differently.  This imo is why they start and share carries is because in the NFL, long speed matter as it changes the game for teams where as college, not as important.

Agility/40 Yard Shuttle:
Burkhead:  4.09
Gio:  4.12
Hill:  not completed

&

3 Cone (another agility drill for short acceleration and change of direction/balance):
Burkhead:  6.85
Gio:  6.91
Hill:  not completed

I could keep going, but all in all Burkhead has shown athletically he was a top performer in 5 of 7 draft skills and Gio was only in 2 of 7.

To state people are commenting based on race could be true for some?  Sure.  Though for me it has nothing to do with that and that is why I disagree with that being the MAIN REASON.   But it is clear to many through limited actual game experience, pre-season exp and practices what is obvious to the coaches through many articles etc....... but for whatever reason that doesn't seem to equate to more game touches which is pretty pathetic.

Though this seems to have been an issue for the Bengals for some time............being creative and putting players in positions to even play better than they are.

I in no way believe Burkhead should be starting over Gio or Hill..................but it is equally frustrating that we don't use players in ways to put them in a position to benefit the team more in keeping the chains moving with talented folks like Burkhead that instead of quote needing touches away from our two RB's.........could be complimenting them and making another weapon that folks have to worry about.

If the Bengals don't do it.........someone else will before it is all said and done.  Besides, if he was like most of you state.......he'd be on the practice squad.  However the Bengals knew he wouldn't have cleared waivers.  FACT.

Get the kid some touches.........he will prove those who ask these types of questions right imo and it will benefit the TEAM and imo help open up the run game even more.

AKBENGAL
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 10:11 PM)akbengal Wrote: If the Bengals don't do it.........someone else will before it is all said and done. 

No they won't. 

I heard the exact same things about Bernard Scott and even Cedric peerman.

Fact is that none of them will ever amount to anythinga s RBs in the NFL.

People act like the Bengals coaches are failures because they don't know how to use players, yet no ex-bengaks ever amount to anything special when they go toother teams.

Kevin Walter is the only example I can think of over the last decade.  So apparently the Bengal coaxches know a lot more about player talent than many fans here.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 11:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No they won't. 

People act like the Bengals coaches are failures because they don't know how to use players, yet no ex-bengaks ever amount to anything special when they go toother teams.

Kevin Walter is the only example I can think of over the last decade.  So apparently the Bengal coaxches know a lot more about player talent than many fans here.

Not many teams have the talent that we do consistently imo......  Also I tend to disagree with your talent argument in regards to fans/coaches............by your own point that would mean that since NO BENGAL does anything anywhere else according to you........ maybe there is a true lack of talent assessment and furthermore development that you've brought to our attention to.

I don't see that at all as the issue................I would go back to creativity and use of players more than a talent issue. 

My 2 cents.  Take care,

AKBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 11:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No they won't. 

..............guess I'll stick with my talent evaluation vs yours.  Cause yes, somebody will. 

People act like the Bengals coaches are failures because they consistently play players that should've been sat at times and at the very least others on the depth chart should've at least got a look.  Wasting talent is a lack of imagination in game preparation and coaching ability.  Simply put.

Later,

akbengal
Reply/Quote
Kind of funny reading this thread again.

Rex is our best RB on the roster right now and it showed late in the season.

He has the best vision, hands and cutbacks.

Bring him back, he will go somewhere and prosper if we don't.

I want him to do well in stripes.
Reply/Quote