Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rex Burkhead...
(08-09-2015, 01:48 AM)J24 Wrote: Sanu and Rex have similar workout numbers the only major difference between them is size. Which Sanu wins.

Burkhead is about 220 lb.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 10:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wouldn't proper utilization of the 2 TE set alleviate the need for the WR2 to take defenders deep?  By sending AJ and Eifert deep out of that set, should certainly allow for TE2 or WR2 to end up with a favorable 1 on 1 vs a LB.

Every defensive team has different strengths, but more importantly weakness. There are teams that can cover TE's and there are teams that can cover the #2's and slots.

My point is the more bullets Hue has in the gun, the more flexibility he has to adapt based on the opponent. All teams have tendencies, but the more you can hide them, the better the advantage matching wits with the opposing DC in Hue's case.

I am excited because I see us with depth and developmental guys like Kroft and Alford and a guy like Rex who all bring something a little different to the table. The question is can Hue tap it and then can AD or AJ (I only mention AJ as AD may get hurt and I think AJ is our backup) execute the matchup issues created.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 12:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Every defensive team has different strengths, but more importantly weakness. There are teams that can cover TE's and there are teams that can cover the #2's and slots.

My point is the more bullets Hue has in the gun, the more flexibility he has to adapt based on the opponent. All teams have tendencies, but the more you can hide them, the better the advantage matching wits with the opposing DC in Hue's case.

I am excited because I see us with depth and developmental guys like Kroft and Alford and a guy like Rex who all bring something a little different to the table. The question is can Hue tap it and then can AD or AJ (I only mention AJ as AD may get hurt and I think AJ is our backup) execute the matchup issues created.

I guess I was also assuming that out of that 2 TE set, there would be effective passing to the RB, as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 10:30 AM)Joe Pong Wrote: Burkhead is about 220 lb.

He is also 5-10 compared to Sanus 6-2.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 10:00 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I like the idea we could have multiple receivers capable of playing and playing well more than one WR position. I like the idea of getting depth because we all know there will be injuries, whether for a series due to a player being dinged or concussion protocol or for games. It is a very good thing having guys like Rex and Bernard who have the ability to jump into the slot for a few plays each game. It also gives Hue more ability to create mismatches the more versatile his backs and receivers are so we lose predictability.

They all can be effect.  That I'll agree.

However a lot of Green's high percentage routes are those of mid-level.

It sure would be nice for CBs to be worried about another WR playing deep that is a serious threat.

If not to pull them for AJ then to actually make some of those deep plays from time to time.

Sanu doesn't have the abilities and Tate has speed but doesn't beat coverage well.

All I'm saying is if Marvin Jones doesn't produce or is injury prone we could be in for some trouble long run.

Eifert might get past some FS/SS but to ask him to beat CBs on a regular basis is not realistic.  Especially with our history of playcalling.

As fas as I'm concerned Eifert is in the same boat as Marvin Jones.  He needs to produce and stay healthy.  Otherwise there's a lot of doubt still looming.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 01:06 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: They all can be effect.  That I'll agree.

However a lot of Green's high percentage routes are those of mid-level.

It sure would be nice for CBs to be worried about another WR playing deep that is a serious threat.

If not to pull them for AJ then to actually make some of those deep plays from time to time.

Sanu doesn't have the abilities and Tate has speed but doesn't beat coverage well.

All I'm saying is if Marvin Jones doesn't produce or is injury prone we could be in for some trouble long run.

Eifert might get past some FS/SS but to ask him to beat CBs on a regular basis is not realistic.  Especially with our history of playcalling.

As fas as I'm concerned Eifert is in the same boat as Marvin Jones.  He needs to produce and stay healthy.  Otherwise there's a lot of doubt still looming.

I think some feel a deep threat has to be able to streak down the field and outrun everyone. I know it is early, but Alford catching crossing routes of 20 plus yards and catch the ball in the middle of the field and split the seam could be a huge weapon. The key with any deep threat is the OL needs to go from 2.5 seconds of no pressure, to 3.5 to 4 seconds so the QB has time. AD or AJ also need to help the OL by being able to move to the right spot and make the 1st guy miss.

My point is Jones definitely if healthy has enough speed to get the attention of a safety. If we add in a speed guy with Green and Jones with Alford, then defenses have to play it safe making them very predictable on coverage so advantage goes to the OC. This does not even factor in Eifert and a great running game with Hill and Gio. It is early, but I see some guys I would love to watch and see if they can grow into very good NFL players in 2015 and beyond.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 12:43 PM)J24 Wrote: He is also 5-10 compared to Sanus 6-2.

Which means he's more compact and powerful.
Reply/Quote
I just wonder if Peerman is the odd man out. I know he's a ST beast, but he's the one that is replaceable. Could Burkhead take over the reigns on ST in place of peerman?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 02:43 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I just wonder if Peerman is the odd man out.  I know he's a ST beast, but he's the one that is replaceable.  Could Burkhead take over the reigns on ST in place of peerman?

Peerman needs to actually show something as a RB eventually. We have some talented guys at the backend now. Shouldn't be an easy lock for that 3/4 RB spot. 
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 01:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think some feel a deep threat has to be able to streak down the field and outrun everyone. I know it is early, but Alford catching crossing routes of 20 plus yards and catch the ball in the middle of the field and split the seam could be a huge weapon. The key with any deep threat is the OL needs to go from 2.5 seconds of no pressure, to 3.5 to 4 seconds so the QB has time. AD or AJ also need to help the OL by being able to move to the right spot and make the 1st guy miss.

My point is Jones definitely if healthy has enough speed to get the attention of a safety. If we add in a speed guy with Green and Jones with Alford, then defenses have to play it safe making them very predictable on coverage so advantage goes to the OC. This does not even factor in Eifert and a great running game with Hill and Gio. It is early, but I see some guys I would love to watch and see if they can grow into very good NFL players in 2015 and beyond.

No there have been a lot of college players with great speed but couldn't transition to the NFL as one trick ponies.

The beauty of Marvin Jones if reaching potential is that he has shown the ability to fight for contested catches.

Not many #2 WRs are going to be streaking past DBs without pursuit unless coverage is blown.

The ability to beat that single coverage either consistently or on deep plays from time to time brings respect.

Sanu has had a handful of moments at #2 but never showed the flash MJ did. 

When I say flash it was just that.  Some games he disappeared.

There is no clear proof he can do it game in and game out for a full season.

Does Rex have a chance at playing some slot?  Sure. 

I'm just a bit concerned on those other parts of the field that may be neglected or unreliable if MJ doesn't produce/play.

Sanu/Burkhead/(insert name), can produce in the slot.  It doesn't seem like much of a void to fill IMO. 

Which if Eifert is playing might make it a non-issue anyway depending on the formation.  You're more likely to have #1 and #2 on the field together.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 02:43 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I just wonder if Peerman is the odd man out.  I know he's a ST beast, but he's the one that is replaceable.  Could Burkhead take over the reigns on ST in place of peerman?

That is what i have been seeing barring injury. So long Peerman and grateful for all you have done.

Fine ST player that has done everything we asked of him. He is just not the RB or receiver that Rex is and Rex can play ST's.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 04:32 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The slot has definitely evolved.

Housh was a slower ball possession slot guy, which is what we were originally looking for with Sanu.

However, I believe most teams in the NFL prefer the quick burst speed slot receiver as they can do so much more with the revamped defensive rules in pass coverage.

There used to be a place for the bigger slot guys when defenders could manhandle receivers more... but since that is not as it used to be the quick guys are the way to go.

Both kinds of slot guys have their uses I guess, and some of the quick burst guys can be fragile.
Good point, but even Rex pointed out recently that not many of the "smaller" slot guys are 215lbs.  He is built like a tank but has great short area quickness.  He was one of those guys that didn't have the fastest 40 time, but could seemingly always get open and get great YAC at Nebraska.  He had the fastest short shuttle in his entire draft class, and he was also the fastest in his class from 0-10 yards.

I was surprised when I read that while playing Welker on the scout team last season, the Bengals were surprised as to how difficult a time the defense was having in covering him.  It was almost like they hadn't read their own scouting report???

I could see Rex being a real boost to the offense in the slot and he could rotate in that position with Sanu.
Reply/Quote

Lets hope, no reason Rex can't do all of what Peerman does and more minus the veteran presence but Rex isn't exactly a rookie either!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
AJ Green and Marvin Jones get their share of snaps in the slot. Jones gets quite a few actually I'd say the same or even more than Sanu.

The Bengals can hit you with so many skill sets now Sanu' big bodied box you out, Rex and Gio will break your ankles, and Super Mario is just gonna blow right by you.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 05:47 AM)Synric Wrote: AJ Green and Marvin Jones get their share of snaps in the slot. Jones gets quite a few actually I'd say the same or even more than Sanu.

The Bengals can hit you with so many skill sets now Sanu' big bodied box you out, Rex and Gio will break your ankles, and Super Mario is just gonna blow right by you.

..and the TE's will be like buildings running through your defense.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I don't care what title Burkhead has if he can help them team put him in as just "dude".
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Getting a lot of hype going into this season as one of our Slot guys and played well for us
in the Playoffs unlike all the rest of our Receivers. Dude is quick and can beat backers at
will and has been doing it again this Offseason.

Might be a surprise player for us this season in the mold of a Wes Welker 2.0.

First thread i started on the new board BTW.

Only one problem, our linebackers don't cover ANYONE. Ninja

All jokes aside, he has looked good out there, and that is encouraging.  Could be a more dynamic Brian Leonard for us.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2015, 03:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, and as i asked Milksheikh. Who is our starting Slot guy right now?

Sanu?

We need a quicker dude in the Slot than Mo IMO.

.....and one with better hands.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2015, 06:04 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, but even Rex pointed out recently that not many of the "smaller" slot guys are 215lbs.  He is built like a tank but has great short area quickness.  He was one of those guys that didn't have the fastest 40 time, but could seemingly always get open and get great YAC at Nebraska.  He had the fastest short shuttle in his entire draft class, and he was also the fastest in his class from 0-10 yards.

I was surprised when I read that while playing Welker on the scout team last season, the Bengals were surprised as to how difficult a time the defense was having in covering him.  It was almost like they hadn't read their own scouting report???

I could see Rex being a real boost to the offense in the slot and he could rotate in that position with Sanu.
I agree.   I remember looking at his film when he was at Nebraska.   You would think his forte at 5-11 220 would be power.  But he has REALLY good acceleration and lateral movement.  

He's a guy who can catch the ball really well who is really good at yards after the catch.   I really hope they use him more than on just 3rd downs.  With enough reps he could develop into a multi-tool weapon.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2015, 05:47 AM)Synric Wrote: AJ Green and Marvin Jones get their share of snaps in the slot. Jones gets quite a few actually I'd say the same or even more than Sanu.

Boy that's the hope!  If he can be consistent in his routes and catching the ball he's the kind of guy that does better with guys like Sherman and Haden
Reply/Quote