Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rey M
Only played 8 snaps.... Smart coaching? End of line for him as a Bengal? Run game didn't look good without him. I've never seen him play so little even against high flying offensive teams (which not sure JETS are). Notable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The signing of Dansby signalled the end of Rey playing a lot of snaps. Once Burfict is back we wont see much of the other Rey either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Bengals played nickel almost the entire game. Rey M. does not play in nickel packages. Don;t think there was a message being sent. The scheme just dictated that he wouldn't play a lot in this game.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 05:36 PM)NKYRob Wrote: Bengals played nickel almost the entire game. Rey M. does not play in nickel packages.  Don;t think there was a message being sent.  The scheme just dictated that he wouldn't play a lot in this game.

^This is a good point. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 05:36 PM)NKYRob Wrote: Bengals played nickel almost the entire game. Rey M. does not play in nickel packages.  Don;t think there was a message being sent.  The scheme just dictated that he wouldn't play a lot in this game.

From what I read they played with only 2 linebackers for 90% of the game.  I need to learn what nickel and dime packages are.  Thanks for the scoop.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:24 PM)jungle93 Wrote: From what I read they played with only 2 linebackers for 90% of the game.  I need to learn what nickel and dime packages are.  Thanks for the scoop.  

Nickel = 3 corner backs, 2 safeties. Played against teams who like to pass/have a lot of WRs.

Dime = 4 corner backs, 2 safeties. Played against teams who lineup their RB at WR, or have 4 WRs on the field at the same time.

Essentially, Rey M is too slow to guard a WR or RB.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:24 PM)jungle93 Wrote: From what I read they played with only 2 linebackers for 90% of the game.  

Which is part of the reason the jets ran all over us.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:28 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Nickel = 3 corner backs, 2 safeties. Played against teams who like to pass/have a lot of WRs.

Dime = 4 corner backs, 2 safeties. Played against teams who lineup their RB at WR, or have 4 WRs on the field at the same time.

Seems like we're definitely seeing the death of the 2 down LBs in the NFL and the gradual increase of smaller more athletic guys. Rey is kind of a dying breed unless you need a thumper in a 3-4 defense. The 4-3 has kind of killed the bigger run stoppers. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:38 PM)Beaker Wrote: Which is part of the reason the jets ran all over us.

You have to give it to 'em though, if they're running out of those formations and it's working that's just really good play-calling and execution. 
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:28 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Nickel = 3 corner backs, 2 safeties. Played against teams who like to pass/have a lot of WRs.

Generally speaking, yes.

More specifically it is 5 DBs and 6 DBs respectively, regardless of position in the backfield.

For example, if you want to roll with 5 corners and 1 safety, it is still a dime defense.  Or 3 corners and 3 safeties, still dime coverage.
Reply/Quote

This we learned his rookie and 2nd year, when teams like Baltimore would smoke him with the screen pass.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

as is many middle Linebackers that are run type LBs first
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:46 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Seems like we're definitely seeing the death of the 2 down LBs in the NFL and the gradual increase of smaller more athletic guys. Rey is kind of a dying breed unless you need a thumper in a 3-4 defense. The 4-3 has kind of killed the bigger run stoppers. 

There was a move towards that over the last decade, and the trend is actually a return to the big defenders who can overpower.

The Colts defenses were built the way you describe, and their failures and the success of the Seahawks has caused a shift in mindset.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 05:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: Only played 8 snaps.... Smart coaching? End of line for him as a Bengal? Run game didn't look good without him. I've never seen him play so little even against high flying offensive teams (which not sure JETS are). Notable.

The run defense didn't look good the first 6 weeks of last year WITH him.

It's not Maualuga the D was missing, but Burfict. The Bengals' run D has been pretty bad without Burfict. Made a huge improvement as soon as he came back last year. Peko being carried around the LoS like a swaddled baby didn't help either.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Ehh, one of the staples of the defense that Zim installed is that we can make the base D work against 3 WR sets of most teams but we saw what the Jets did with that at the beginning of the game. They have a pretty good WR corp so we made the switch to Nickel and the Jets severely abused our nickel D on the ground. I think we'll see a lot more Rey M next week as we'll be in the base D a lot.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 09:46 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: There was a move towards that over the last decade, and the trend is actually a return to the big defenders who can overpower.

The Colts defenses were built the way you describe, and their failures and the success of the Seahawks has caused a shift in mindset.

It also didn't help that they picked some terrible guys to build around. I think most teams realize you need to be diverse when it comes to the defense. I guess "multiple" is the best descriptor these days. 

It does seem like most of the top MLB's are guys who can do it all, which is my only hesitation with Rey, especially in a 4-3. Seems like he would be a perfect 3-4 MLB.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:49 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: It also didn't help that they picked some terrible guys to build around. I think most teams realize you need to be diverse when it comes to the defense. I guess "multiple" is the best descriptor these days. 

It does seem like most of the top MLB's are guys who can do it all, which is my only hesitation with Rey, especially in a 4-3. Seems like he would be a perfect 3-4 MLB.

I know it seems like semantics but at that point he would be an ILB instead of an MLB and there would be two of them.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:51 PM)treee Wrote: I know it seems like semantics but at that point he would be an ILB instead of an MLB and there would be two of them.

Yeah, just labeled them as two MLB's because I'm an idiot. It's been a long, long day. Sorry about that.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:51 PM)treee Wrote: I know it seems like semantics but at that point he would be an ILB instead of an MLB and there would be two of them.

And one of them would come off the field in nickel and dime formations, which I think was what Pike was getting at.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:56 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Yeah, just labeled them as two MLB's because I'm an idiot. It's been a long, long day. Sorry about that.

No worries man, I just felt like needlessly correcting someone and you happened to be there at the perfect moment LOL Who cares about the 3-4 anyway, that's what shitsburgh runs.
Reply/Quote