Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rey M
(09-12-2016, 10:59 PM)treee Wrote: No worries man, I just felt like needlessly correcting someone and you happened to be there at the perfect moment LOL Who cares about the 3-4 anyway, that's what shitsburgh runs.

Real teams run a 4-3. I think we can all agree on that one. 
Reply/Quote
We will see a different defensive package against the Steelers and I predict Rey Maualuga will see many more snaps this week. He'll be needed to occupy a pulling guard, usually David deCastro, on those running plays where the Steelers run to the edges after sealing off the defensive ends. Did you see DeAngelo Williams run all over the Redskins last night? That's how the Steelers have done it since the days of Frenchy Fuqua, Franco Harris, and Rocky Bleier -- and it takes brains to counter it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 08:05 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We will see a different defensive package against the Steelers and I predict Rey Maualuga will see many more snaps this week.  He'll be needed to occupy a pulling guard, usually David deCastro, on those running plays where the Steelers run to the edges after sealing off the defensive ends.  Did you see DeAngelo Williams run all over the Redskins last night?  That's how the Steelers have done it since the days of Frenchy Fuqua, Franco Harris, and Rocky Bleier -- and it takes brains to counter it.

They are going to need to scheme something to combat those 1 second releases that Pittsburgh so masterfully displayed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 08:05 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We will see a different defensive package against the Steelers and I predict Rey Maualuga will see many more snaps this week. He'll be needed to occupy a pulling guard, usually David deCastro, on those running plays where the Steelers run to the edges after sealing off the defensive ends. Did you see DeAngelo Williams run all over the Redskins last night? That's how the Steelers have done it since the days of Frenchy Fuqua, Franco Harris, and Rocky Bleier -- and it takes brains to counter it.
If it takes brains to counter it, the Mauauluga isn't at the top of my list.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 08:22 AM)jason Wrote: If it takes brains to counter it, the Mauauluga isn't at the top of my list.

If it takes someone to pop Williams and make him see stars, Mau is my guy.....
Reply/Quote
Thanks guys for the very interesting discussion. Being an Australian and not being brought up on the game, I find the discussions about different defensive packages extremely interesting and valuable in increasing my knowledge and understanding of the game. I have followed the Bengals since the early 90's but have only been able to watch games in the last 6 years. Thanks again guys!
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 08:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If it takes someone to pop Williams and make him see stars, Mau is my guy.....
He did play as well as anybody not named Burfict in the playoff game last year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:24 PM)jungle93 Wrote: From what I read they played with only 2 linebackers for 90% of the game.  I need to learn what nickel and dime packages are.  Thanks for the scoop.  

Well, the definitions provided are mostly correct. The designations are old school and were around back when I was a kid.

Nickel means 5 defensive backs. Usually the 5th one is a corner cause you're playing to defend the pass. The designation of nickel was used because a Nickel is 5 cents.

The term Dime came along later when teams started passing more and defenses responded by playing 6 defensive backs and they just went to the next larger coin to get its name, a dime.

Normally you take out a LB when you go to nickel and either another LB or DT when you go from nickel to dime.

Sometimes you will see an extra safety come in for a LB spot while the team runs a nickel behind that. This is a dime with 3 CBs and 3 Ss. But other things happen as well. You might bring in a pass rushing LB for a DT and move a DE to DT spot.

Sometimes you will see 3 defensive linemen or even 2 (very rare, but NE used such a formation for most of a game to thoroughly confuse an opponent once).

The game plan this last week was clearly to play a zone and clamp down on Marshall and Decker. They had only 5 catches between them. This meant smaller LBs and we saw DE Hunt in at DT a lot.

Reply/Quote
We also saw Hunt and MJ in coverage more than I ever want to see them in coverage again.

Still, they weren't running no huddle/hurry up so Rey could have came in to stop the run. Its' not like he was inactive, or we haven't had to use heavy nickel in the past. He's never only played 8 snaps.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 05:36 PM)NKYRob Wrote: Bengals played nickel almost the entire game. Rey M. does not play in nickel packages.  Don;t think there was a message being sent.  The scheme just dictated that he wouldn't play a lot in this game.

It was a different scheme for us trying to just stop the pass and let them run on us and don't break in the end.

Fortunately it worked cause i usually like the scheme of stopping the run first and forcing the Offense to throw.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 08:38 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Thanks guys for the very interesting discussion. Being an Australian and not being brought up on the game, I find the discussions about different defensive packages extremely interesting and valuable in increasing my knowledge and understanding of the game. I have followed the Bengals since the early 90's but have only been able to watch games in the last 6 years. Thanks again guys!

You are very welcome!  Of all the 32 teams in the NFL, the Bengals have by far the most knowledgeable fans on any message board with the Green Bay Packers' fan base being a close second. This is due to the legacy of the early coaches of both the Packers and Bengals, the great Vince Lombardi and the master strategist Paul Brown, respectively.  Paul Brown got his start in Cleveland, of course, when the Cleveland Browns were the class of the NFL after which he became the Bengals' first head coach and eventually the owner of the team.

Ask us anything!  
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 04:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You are very welcome!  Of all the 32 teams in the NFL, the Bengals have by far the most knowledgeable fans on any message board with the Green Bay Packers' fan base being a close second. This is due to the legacy of the early coaches of both the Packers and Bengals, the great Vince Lombardi and the master strategist Paul Brown, respectively.  Paul Brown got his start in Cleveland, of course, when the Cleveland Browns were the class of the NFL after which he became the Bengals' first head coach and eventually the owner of the team.

Ask us anything!  

Good point FIK, i knew there was a reason i liked Packer fans better than most.

I just never thought of this before. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 04:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point FIK, i knew there was a reason i liked Packer fans better than most.

I just never thought of this before. Shocked

Oh yes, it's absolutely true.  We have several Green Bay fans at work and we get along very well.  In fact, as a Cincinnati fan the friendliest place outside of Paul Brown Stadium is Lambeau Field -- and I highly urge all Bengals fans to take in an away game there sometime.  The Green Bay fans in attendance are super knowledgeable and they have a natural affinity for those who come there to see the Bengals play.  There are no fights, everyone seems to clap for good plays no matter who makes them -- because Bengals and Packers fans are there to see the game, not to get drunk -- and there are heartfelt handshakes and hugs to congratulate the winner; I believe the last time the Bengals lost to the Packers was 1998. 

The Lombardi-Brown legacy lives on.  On the Bengals Message Board and on the Packers Message Board, you'll read posts by football enthusiasts who truly understand the nuances of the game, the history of the game, and the parts Paul Brown and Vince Lombardi played in that history.  Vince invented the seal-off block which springs runners to the edge*, Paul invented pass routes, Vince invented the pulling guard move, and Paul invented directional blocking.  Who came up with playbooks?  Paul Brown!  He even gave his players written and oral exams!  Even today, the "audition" for a potential Cincinnati quarterback includes an "explain the playbook" to me session -- which Andy Dalton nailed dead in 2011. 

*No, the Steelers did not build that!
Reply/Quote