Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rick Santorum Wants Pope Francis To Stop Talking About Climate Change
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/02/rick-santorum-pope-climat_n_7498768.html

Quote:Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum says he loves Pope Francis, but he wants the pontiff to stop talking about climate change.

Santorum, a devout Catholic, told Philadelphia radio host Dom Giordano on Monday that the pope should "leave science to the scientists."

His comments come as the pope, who earned a master's degree in chemistry before turning to the priesthood, becomes increasingly vocal about climate change. Pope Francis is preparing a groundbreaking encyclical to be released in the coming weeks that's expected to make the case that taking action to fight climate change is a moral and religious imperative.

Santorum described himself as a "huge fan" of the pope and said he appreciates the pontiff's commitment to family issues, but he wants the church to stay out of science.

“The church has gotten it wrong a few times on science, and I think that we probably are better off leaving science to the scientists and focusing on what we're really good at, which is theology and morality,” Santorum said. "When we get involved with political and controversial scientific theories, I think the church is not as forceful and credible."

His full comments from "The Dom Giordano Show" are included below. The discussion of the pope starts at about the 10-minute mark.

(Story continues below audio.)

Despite his pleas to the pope, Santorum has a history of rejecting established science. He denies that climate change is man-made and has dismissed global warming as a "hoax" despite the fact that 97 percent of actively publishing climate scientists agree that "climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities," according to NASA.

Santorum has also rejected evolution and instead believes in "intelligent design,” according to Discover magazine.

Pope Francis says evolution does not contradict church doctrine.

(h/t Raw Story)

Translation: I really like this guy when he says things I agree with...otherwise he needs to shut his stupid pie hole and let me continue to say things that make no sense so I can get elected.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
"leave science to the scientists."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/rick-santorum-climate-change/

He will when you do, Rick.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
So I like how he managed to lump science in with political stuff as if he is any more qualified to discuss the issue than the Pope. Also, will this mean he will stop talking about theological and moral issues as well. Fair's fair, right?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I'd like Santorum to stop talking about everything.  Leave the public discourse to non-idiots and all.
[Image: 11334119_821528401230267_9125155048478156431_o.jpg]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Hopefully the Pope asks Santorum to stop breathing.
Why does anyone take the Pope serious on these non religious matters?

Really his position is not to take political positions... His position is to sort out matters of the Catholic Church... How about advocating for the ones in the Middle East who are being slaughtered.... Or children who are being sold into slavery.

Stop wasting time on climate change and start advocating for the things that are affecting people now. Human trafficking would be a great start.

He is my pope.... And I am tired of the nonsense he spews sometimes .... He needs to know his role... Start advocating for people without a voice... Not for big money interests pushing for gov giveaways for climate.
And as far as Santorum.... He needs to Just stop it. Get substantive and either seperate himself from the other progressives Bush/Rubio/Christie/walker or get out.
(06-04-2015, 05:27 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why does anyone take the Pope serious on these non religious matters?  

Really his position is not to take political positions... His position is to sort out matters of the Catholic Church... How about advocating for the ones in the Middle East who are being slaughtered....  Or children who are being sold into slavery.    

Stop wasting time on climate change and start advocating for the things that are affecting people now.   Human trafficking would be a great start.  

He is my pope.... And I am tired of the nonsense he spews sometimes .... He needs to know his role... Start advocating for people without a voice...  Not for big money interests pushing for gov giveaways for climate.

How about he can try and do both?

Or is two things at once too much for you?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-04-2015, 05:27 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why does anyone take the Pope serious on these non religious matters?  

Really his position is not to take political positions... His position is to sort out matters of the Catholic Church... How about advocating for the ones in the Middle East who are being slaughtered....  Or children who are being sold into slavery.    

Stop wasting time on climate change and start advocating for the things that are affecting people now.   Human trafficking would be a great start.  

He is my pope.... And I am tired of the nonsense he spews sometimes .... He needs to know his role... Start advocating for people without a voice...  Not for big money interests pushing for gov giveaways for climate.

Is the Pope not the head of state for the Vatican? That's a political position, not just a religious one. The Vatican is a theocracy and the Pope is the head.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-04-2015, 08:11 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is the Pope not the head of state for the Vatican? That's a political position, not just a religious one. The Vatican is a theocracy and the Pope is the head.

That's accurate.

Yeah Pope, stop speaking up for the Earth! It has a voice.
It's good for the Pope to understand science. He can consider issues more objectively if he understands both the scientific and the religious views.
(06-03-2015, 08:39 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: [Image: 11334119_821528401230267_9125155048478156431_o.jpg]

He merely studied chemistry and worked as a technician in college. He never graduated before joining the seminary.

http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/does-pope-francis-have-ma-chemistry

Santorum thinks the Pope should "leave science to the scientists"?

One question, Rick... Should the age of the earth and evolution also be left to the scientists?
(06-04-2015, 08:11 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is the Pope not the head of state for the Vatican? That's a political position, not just a religious one. The Vatican is a theocracy and the Pope is the head.

No one wants to hear the pope chime in on a gov boon doggle.   

he needs to be serious about his faith .... Climate change is all about funneling gov money to political friends..... Or Now with the UN .... Using it as an excuse to redistribute to poor countries a where political friends can capitilize.   

It's all a joke.   No different than the military boon doggle.