Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riggleman
Do the Reds keep Riggleman as manager for next year? He seems to have his finger on the pulse of the players and they have responded with quality wins against division contenders. Hard to ignore. I usually do not place much weight on the manager but Price was horrendous.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As of today I would say yes, but, let's wait and see where we are in Sept. I've seen a big change in this team since Riggleman has taken the helm. More "fire in the belly" attitude from this team, and seems like he's instilled a winning attitude! Finally!
Reply/Quote
He couldn't have inherited a much worse situation. Team was 3-15 and then bottomed out at 8-27. Since then he is 29-21.

If they play well up to the All Star break, I'd extend him a year. Keep Dr Death..Danny Darwin...also.
Reply/Quote
From the deck of cards he was handed to where they are now is nothing short of a miracle really. Hell yes I'd give him another shot really no matter how this season ends.

Because lets face it this little run most likely isn't going to last, we just don't have the starting pitching. But if the ownership/GM will actually get some returns on the trades and actually go get some pitching I could see this team being competitive in a year or two.

And Riggleman should get a chance to be at the helm IMHO.
Reply/Quote
Would be foolish not to keep him.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Riggleman has earned the job plain and simple. If he wants it is the question.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
He has them playing good ball, no question.  However, as others have said, you gotta see where they end up.  His track record isn't that stellar either.  One thing's for certain, this team is better to watch than it was with Price leading the charge.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 10:22 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: From the deck of cards he was handed to where they are now is nothing short of a miracle really. Hell yes I'd give him another shot really no matter how this season ends.

Because lets face it this little run most likely isn't going to last, we just don't have the starting pitching. But if the ownership/GM will actually get some returns on the trades and actually go get some pitching I could see this team being competitive in a year or two.

And Riggleman should get a chance to be at the helm IMHO.

We may not have elite starting pitching, but when you're scoring close to six runs a game and your bullpen rocks, maybe you can get around it.  No team really has everything.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm at game against White Sox. 7 rows back. I will say this, Riggleman looks like a pretty big guy. Sort of intimidating.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Not that it has diddly squat to do with the current situation, but at least one Nationals fan seemed to hold Riggleman in ...uhhh.. Slightly less than high esteem. Personally I like Riggleman. 
[Image: po2LmwwAj]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I know some members in the media and fans think the Reds need a full search for a manager this off season. Nevertheless, Riggleman manages each game like it's the World Series and the team has responded to his style. Front Office better think long and hard before discounting the "Riggleman effect."
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Well, some most forget the injury situation when Rigs took over. Some also forget he's a sub .500 (.449 to be exact) manager who quit on a team. I think we're simply seeing a better manager than a price lead  club. Price was just that bad. I personally think they can do better than Rigs. We have great roster flexibility, youth, a farm system now... we are actually appealing to a lot of potential skippers. It's great they're playing better now, but they were bound to not stay that bad due to the very nature of baseball being baseball. Who knows how much of that was "I like to bunt to much Riggleman"? The Reds are winning more than earlier in the year because they have Eugenio Suarez, Scott Schebler, Anthony DeSclafani, Michael Lorenzen and, to some extent, Matt Harvey. Joey Votto has started hitting like Joey Votto – remember his first month? Have the Reds been committing fewer errors or base running blunders? Not that I’ve seen. Did Riggleman have early practice sessions on how to hit grand slams? Because that would merit reporting. And they lead (or tied) for that this season. So basically, this team is playing how this team is supposed to play now. I don't see a reason to not look for a better manager.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 01:42 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Well, some most forget the injury situation when Rigs took over. Some also forget he's a sub .500 (.449 to be exact) manager who quit on a team. I think we're simply seeing a better manager than a price lead  club. Price was just that bad. I personally think they can do better than Rigs. We have great roster flexibility, youth, a farm system now... we are actually appealing to a lot of potential skippers. It's great they're playing better now, but they were bound to not stay that bad due to the very nature of baseball being baseball. Who knows how much of that was "I like to bunt to much Riggleman"? The Reds are winning more than earlier in the year because they have Eugenio Suarez, Scott Schebler, Anthony DeSclafani, Michael Lorenzen and, to some extent, Matt Harvey. Joey Votto has started hitting like Joey Votto – remember his first month? Have the Reds been committing fewer errors or base running blunders? Not that I’ve seen. Did Riggleman have early practice sessions on how to hit grand slams? Because that would merit reporting. And they lead (or tied) for that this season. So basically, this team is playing how this team is supposed to play now. I don't see a reason to not look for a better manager.
Sometimes the effect of the team manager gets entirely overblown, sometimes not. They usually get the most heat when the teams are losing.
I'd usually rather see a full season of results than a quick turnaround of half a season. 
I'm not opposed to the Reds conducting a quality search for a manager, but I'd also like to see how the team finishes out the rest of this season under Riggleman. Price left his stamp no doubt and it wasn't pleasant . So far Riggs has gotten a lot  from a sub bad team, but again ,it ain't over till it's over.  Managers really have little to no control over injuries or whether pitchers throw strikes or homeruns. Force of will only gets a team so far. They still need quality players to have a successful season. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 01:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: Sometimes the effect of the team manager gets entirely overblown, sometimes not. They usually get the most heat when the teams are losing.
I'd usually rather see a full season of results than a quick turnaround of half a season. 
I'm not opposed to the Reds conducting a quality search for a manager, but I'd also like to see how the team finishes out the rest of this season under Riggleman. Price left his stamp no doubt and it wasn't pleasant . So far Riggs has gotten a lot  from a sub bad team, but again ,it ain't over till it's over.  Managers really have little to no control over injuries or whether pitchers throw strikes or homeruns. Force of will only gets a team so far. They still need quality players to have a successful season. 

Yea, I think one of the managers biggest job is team direction and chemistry. I am not sure which one Price severely lacked, but it's clear as day that Rigs is miles better than him. To be completely transparent, I think they should 100% consider him, but in no way, shape or form just give him the job or remove the interim tag. That's not going thru their due diligence. I would not be in complete favor of Rigs, but I realize they can clearly do worse. Would just like the piece of mind knowing they at least went thru the process.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote