Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Right Guard
(02-11-2022, 09:11 PM)EasyPeasy Wrote: The trade back to get Carman affected the rest of the draft. It would have been very different, not the least of which would be missing out on McPherson. 

I've seen that mentioned here a couple times. I thought the trade back got us Smith and Shelvin in the 4th?  Did we have more than 1 pick in the 5th round?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 09:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I've seen that mentioned here a couple times. I thought the trade back got us Smith and Shelvin in the 4th?  Did we have more than 1 pick in the 5th round?

There was only one pick in the fifth. Without three 4th round picks netting DE,DT, and OT, the luxury of picking a kicker in the 5th would not have been available. 
Reply/Quote
Thumbs Up 
(02-11-2022, 09:37 PM)EasyPeasy Wrote: There was only one pick in the fifth. Without three 4th round picks netting DE,DT, and OT, the luxury of picking a kicker in the 5th would not have been available. 

Roger that, sounds good, I've wondered the thought process.  Shooter is on par with Chase when it comes to value from that draft.  Joe
Reply/Quote
Good, just hoping Carman can keep it together.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 05:46 PM)pally Wrote: Per Zac, they have seen enough out of Carman to start him.  When asked whether that would happen on Sunday the answer was a smirk and a "we'll see".  So maybe a change on the line this weekend

god. donald probably got a boner hearing this news. not that adeniji was any better really but at least he can move more than 3 yards without getting winded. i just hope joe survives this game in one peice. 
Reply/Quote
Heck, for this matter I hope he wins superbowl mvp although I doubt he would being a lineman.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 09:56 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: god. donald probably got a boner hearing this news. not that adeniji was any better really but at least he can move more than 3 yards without getting winded. i just hope joe survives this game in one peice. 

Carman has never had any issues moving and in fact has made eye poppingly good plays. His thing is he needs consistency. If he gets that he is a fixture at RG. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 10:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: I see we have another troll here. Three posts and all of them total nonsense. Carman has never had any issues moving and in fact has made eye poppingly good plays. His thing is he needs consistency. If he gets that he is a fixture at RG. 

go back and watch the browns game and see how easily he got winded. and when he starts getting winded, bad play starts to follow. he's not in great shape. that's not a secret. maybe he makes a huge jump next year. hope so, but he scares the hell outta me in this game and for joe's safety.

btw, calling someone a troll just cause you don't like their opinion? Facepalm
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 10:16 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: go back and watch the browns game and see how easily he got winded. and when he starts getting winded, bad play starts to follow. he's not in great shape. that's not a secret. maybe he makes a huge jump next year. hope so, but he scares the hell outta me in this game and for joe's safety.

btw, calling someone a troll just cause you don't like their opinion? Facepalm

Wrong. I said troll then decided not to keep it because you had three posts all of which had negative stuff that was not really accurate. Carman was out of shape a while ago but that was then and this is now. The issue has been consistency - they put Adeniji in because of communication errors not Carman's conditioning. 
Reply/Quote
This is going to be a big game for Carman. A poor performance in the Super Bowl might lead the first office to look for veteran RG during free agency.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:15 PM)Webbtown Wrote: This is going to be a big game for Carman. A poor performance in the Super Bowl might lead the first office to look for veteran RG during free agency.

I expect that even if Carman blanks Aaron Donald the FO will be seeking starter caliber vets for RT and RG at minimum. And likely the best ones available as well as they will not want to risk an injury leading to more issues. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 09:11 PM)EasyPeasy Wrote: The trade back to get Carman affected the rest of the draft. It would have been very different, not the least of which would be missing out on McPherson. 

You cant assume that at all,
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You cant assume that at all,

Yes, I can. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: I expect that even if Carman blanks Aaron Donald the FO will be seeking starter caliber vets for RT and RG at minimum. And likely the best ones available as well as they will not want to risk an injury leading to more issues. 

7 of the OL on our Super Bowl roster are 24 years old or under. If we go out there and shock the world and win this thing I’m not holding my breath expecting big outside OL free agency acquisitions. We would be confidently rolling in to next year with a young group who has a ring and room to grow.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 09:29 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: This is what I was gonna say. He stays alert and I've seen him come off a help block to pick up a free rusher. I wish he had been getting the starts but maybe the back was more of an issue than we thought.

Must be something like that. The only thing Carman has done worse than Adeniji is he has a couple more penalties.

He is a better pass blocker and a much better run blocker than Adeniji and I think would be a much safer option at RG going 
against Donald than the dude on roller skates obviously.
Reply/Quote
Carman is powerfu,but he needs to get the mental part of the game down.He misses assignments sometimes,and it’s disastrous.Just hope we get a good free agent signing on that RG position this offseason and lock down that RG position with a pro bowl lineman once and for all.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 11:28 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 7 of the OL on our Super Bowl roster are 24 years old or under. If we go out there and shock the world and win this thing I’m not holding my breath expecting big outside OL free agency acquisitions. We would be confidently rolling in to next year with a young group who has a ring and room to grow.

I agree with this. 

The secret to a winning organization is to have the winning lottery ticket (Joe Burrow) and then managing the salary cap.
It takes 3 years to develop offensive lineman. I think Jonah Williams in his 3rd year including his injured year is just now playing his best football. The Bengals have invested heavily through the draft on their Offensive Line.  Jackson Carmen (1), D'ante Smith (1), Trey Hill (1), Isiah Prince (2), Hakeem Adenji (2). The amount of playing time/experience they got this year will only help them get better. 

It will be interesting to see what they do in FA and the draft this coming year. I could actually see them trading their draft pick to fall further back in the draft to pick up future draft picks.
Reply/Quote
ZT seems to play a lot of games with his injury reports. I never know what to believe. Not saying Carman won't start ahead of Hakeem but there's no way of knowing. Same thing with Uzo imo... is he really planning to play on that bum knee? But I think it's all by design.

Whether you're going back to the Mixon injury that was contested through the media (he technically started but played just a handful of snaps- so I guess both sides were proven "correct") or Trey zipping through concussion protocol, or how the COVID "outbreak" conveniently occurred during our de facto bye in Week 18... it's hard to know what to take seriously anymore.

Regardless, I think a lot of our guys are playing through a ton of injuries- not just the normal wear and tear. Which is a testament to the team and how accountable they feel to each other, for better or worse. How Logan is back is beyond me: he played like a one-armed man in the first game versus KC. Thankfully he's had a few weeks since then to recover and looks like he's almost gotten healthy (!). Same thing with Hendrickson, I suppose, if not Pratt and Bailey.

So I guess it's a combo of Zac strategically using the injury report to confuse game plans, and players taking it upon to themselves to answer the bell if necessary. But I've never associated either one of those factors with the Bengals before. It's definitely a new vibe.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 11:28 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 7 of the OL on our Super Bowl roster are 24 years old or under. If we go out there and shock the world and win this thing I’m not holding my breath expecting big outside OL free agency acquisitions. We would be confidently rolling in to next year with a young group who has a ring and room to grow.

If we go out and win this thing it wont be because of the O line.  It would be in spite of having one of the worst O lines in the NFL.   Regardless of how young these guys are, Burrow has been knocked around all year long because of poor O line play.  There is no position on that Oline that coudnt be improved through free agency in the offseason including Williams who gave up 8 sacks in the regular season.  Let the young guys sit and learn while we get some proven O linemen in free agency.
Reply/Quote
If there were ever a player you would hope would surprise us, this would be the one. Bust open a few runs for Mixon and don't let anyone in clean.
Reply/Quote