Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riiiight.... Fake news!!!
Do we have a highly regarded HC candidate on staff already?!

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/two-bengals-assistant-coaches-could-get-head-coaching-interviews

I doubt it. But maybe if things turn around who knows.

Callahan doesn't call plays and Lou. Well maybe the first 6 weeks. But even then I can't imagine them being hot candidates.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Lou? Yeah I call serious BS on that.. he's worked wonders for the defense since he got here... yeah let's hire him as head coach! That guy is a winner!

Only reason why a team would hire him is to cook for everyone on "Pasta Night"

That's a spicyyyyyy meatball!
Reply/Quote
Simmons would have to be the only candidate as he has been a very successful ST's coach for years in the NFL.

Don't see anyone else that is even close. Lou and Brian have been better at what they do this year but not enough
for any HC thoughts, crazy. Agree, fake news.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 08:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Simmons would have to be the only candidate as he has been a very successful ST's coach for years in the NFL.

Don't see anyone else that is even close. Lou and Brian have been better at what they do this year but not enough

This.

Simmons is legit.

No team anywhere would consider Lou or Brian for a head coaching position unless we make an amazing surge over the last 8 games.
Reply/Quote
Not often that a ST coach gets a HC gig.

Also not often that a guy stagnates in the same position for nearly 20 years and suddenly gets serious HC consideration.

Of course, that's been great for us. Simmons is a very solid coach.

I don't think we have anyone that we're at risk of losing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 06:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Do we have a highly regarded HC candidate on staff already?!

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/two-bengals-assistant-coaches-could-get-head-coaching-interviews

I doubt it. But maybe if things turn around who knows.

Callahan doesn't call plays and Lou. Well maybe the first 6 weeks. But even then I can't imagine them being hot candidates.

Apparently they had 13 names that could garner serious interest and over 50 "other" candidates.  Brian Callahan and QB Coach Dan Pitcher were mentioned in the "other" category.  Doesn't sound like they are hot prospects.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 10:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Simmons is legit.

No team anywhere would consider Lou or Brian for a head coaching position unless we make an amazing surge over the last 8 games.

Hell for that matter if Zac Taylor were to be fired this year.  

That dude would be a QB coaches in the NFL again.  

No one would hire him as a OC or even a HC.  

So I agree it'd have to be Simmons because at least his ST are steady. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 08:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Simmons would have to be the only candidate as he has been a very successful ST's coach for years in the NFL.

we need to hire Belichiks son just for the comedy it would bring to the sidelines
Reply/Quote
I doubt they're in the running too, but stranger things happen. It's hard to tell exactly what goes on in the minds of team owners and general managers when making such decisions..  It's not AS IF it's an exact science and they never miss..  Someone who knows someone who knew another guy who was friends with someone's drinking buddy in college and VIOLA! You're a head coach in the NFL! Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think one of our most underrated coaches (maybe only underrated coach) is DB coach Robert Livingston. He's worked with the Bengals for decades, under DC's Chuck (when our db's were great), Zimmer, Guenther, Marvin, Lou and we have always had a great defensive backfield while he was here, regardless of defensive struggles and rankings. He should have a wealth of defensive schemes to pull from and should have a pretty significant and diverse defensive playbook.

It's probably time for him to be considered as a DC somewhere.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Even Simmons... if you were going to get a ST guy, wouldn't you rather have the Chiefs or Ravens guys?

9 years now as ST Coordinator, and during that time the Bengals have only 2 return TDs and have been 23rd, 26th, 22nd, 24th, 9th, 21st, 9th, 23rd, and (so far) 22nd in FG%. I know there's more to ST than just those, but I don't see how that's crying "make me HC!"

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The article mentions QBs coach Dan Pitcher. Obviously Burrow has had some success, but then again he's Joe Burrow. Pitcher has been our QBs coach since 2018 so that would include some of those late Dalton years that weren't great. Power to Dan if he can land a coordinator or even HC job I guess. I don't think we'll be losing much.

Reply/Quote