Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring of Honor voting starts today
I'm on board with the old timers and wanting them to enjoy it. I worry the most about Krumrie and Trumpy. Don't know about Trumpy's health, but he's getting old and I don't hear about him. Reggie Williams too.

But Krumrie's got something like CTE. Let's celebrate him while he can appreciate it.

Darn, we had a lot of really fine players. Part of me wishes we could celebrate more of them, and part of me wants to have the celebration every year.

For me though Krumrie is a must and whatever other fine old timer we have who is starting to look like they're on the way out needs to be with him.

Krumrie was just so many things: tough, old school, vicious, competitive, smart, wiley, skilled, unstoppable. Man I need to find some old tape of these guys and watch.

Maybe when I retire...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Chad and Boomer will be there soon enough. The two guys who are most HoF worthy are Parrish and Dillon. They should be the next 2 to go in. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2023, 01:31 PM)yang Wrote: I am sure this will get interesting once everyone starts analyzing everything but the Ring of Honor to me exemplifies what it means to be a great Bengal during their career and many of these players became whiners and left and I can't put them in over those who spent their careers here and were Die-Hards. And I love many of those players that left especially Montoya and Parrish. But c'mon man, Krumrie and Reggie Williams left their heart and souls on that turf their entire careers. Breech was a great kicker and spent 14 years here. Trumpy spent 8 season and was one of the league's best tight end still holding a lot of Bengals records.

And we had Lapham but he did leave for Donald Trump's New Jersey Generals in the end.

So it's Krumrie and Williams for me. True Die Hard Bengals.

Breech shouldn't sniff anywhere near any accolades, aside from, "longest-tenured kicker."

I get he was, "clutch," but he wasn't good, ever.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2023, 08:15 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Parrish is a gimmee for me. He is the reason Riley did not get into the Hall for so long. They said QBs threw at Rioey because everyone was afraid to throw at Parrish. It was not all correct,,Riley played great after Lemar moved on, but it wasn't all wrong, either.

Parrish was an 8 time Pro-Bowler (6 with us), 3 time first team all pro (once with us), two time 2nd team all-Pro (both with us). 47 picks and 13 TDs (INT + returns). I know there were off-field issues, but Parrish is a HOFer in my book. Easily.

The 2nd pick is tougher. Boomer, Chad, Montoya, Krumrie, and Williams are tough to decide between. I'll go Chad, but it is tight.

Lamar is it for me as well.  His name probably sticks out the most from my years as a barely able to grow hair anywhere besides the top of my head kid.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2023, 04:06 PM)grampahol Wrote: Lamar is it for me as well.  His name probably sticks out the most from my years as a barely able to grow hair anywhere besides the top of my head kid.. 

Parrish was an 8 time Pro-Bowler. 3 time first team all pro, two time 2nd team all-Pro. 47 picks and 13 TDs (INT + returns). Leapin' Lamar Parrish is a HOFer.

Put him in the ring
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2023, 10:31 PM)CincyKid Wrote: Parrish was an 8 time Pro-Bowler. 3 time first team all pro, two time 2nd team all-Pro. 47 picks and 13 TDs (INT + returns). Leapin' Lamar Parrish is a HOFer.

Put him in the ring

Everyone mentions Ken Anderson, Willie Anderson, and they would mention Ken Riley as the players who should be in the hall, but Parrish’s accolades alone puts him in the hall.

How many other players have that many pro bowls and are not in the hall? I’m gonna guess maybe 1 other

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
This is really tough. I've been around since the start and I tend to favor the old guys. But damn, Boomer and Chad...Imagine the atmosphere if those two went in on the same night. It's good to have so many great players to choose from.

After careful consideration, my first vote goes to Lemar Parrish, who should be in Canton. He played with Ken Riley and was probably better than Rattler. 60 career takeaways (47 ints, 13 fumble recoveries) and 13 return TD's. Still has the record for season punt return average after the merger (18.8 in 1974). Lemar is one of six corners with at least 8 Pro Bowls and is the only one not in the Hall of Fame. Putting him in the ROH might help get him into Canton.

Second vote to Tim Krumrie. All time leading tackler from the NT position, he defined heart and hustle. There is no doubt in my mind that we would have won the Super Bowl in Miami if he doesn't blow out his knee on that pathetic excuse for turf.

It was such a shame that Riley was inducted posthumously. Let's honor these guys while we can.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2023, 10:46 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Breech shouldn't sniff anywhere near any accolades, aside from, "longest-tenured kicker."

I get he was, "clutch," but he wasn't good, ever.

really ??   a few years ago for our 50 year celebration he was voted top 5 player of all time for bengals.  When he retired he was 10th leading score in NFL history, he was total clutch.. going 9 for 9 in OT games , you can't compare eras, kicking today and the approach is much different than back when Breech played, he was a solid kicker during his era and totally deserves someday to be in our HOF. 
Reply/Quote
I'm playing both sides of the fences and going with 1 old dude and one younger old dude:

1. Trumpy: a great player but too old for me to see live. I know him more as an announcer and I remember him being a major Bengal homer when it wasn't always easy being a Bengals fan.

2. CJ 85: He gets my pick for re-engaging with the city of Cincinnati and Bengal fans in retirement. I love his twitter persona and is always paying respect to the current players and fans. He could have blown us off but he keeps coming back for more Cincy love. I respect that a hell of lot.
Reply/Quote
Dillon can flip burgers. Gimme Lamar and Chad
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2023, 10:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Everyone mentions Ken Anderson, Willie Anderson, and they would mention Ken Riley as the players who should be in the hall, but Parrish’s accolades alone puts him in the hall.

How many other players have that many pro bowls and are not in the hall? I’m gonna guess maybe 1 other

I think all are deserving,  I don't think parrish is more deserving though, as for not being mentioned as much it is more because he played the least years as a bengal than the others.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 03:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: really ??   a few years ago for our 50 year celebration he was voted top 5 player of all time for bengals.  When he retired he was 10th leading score in NFL history, he was total clutch.. going 9 for 9 in OT games , you can't compare eras, kicking today and the approach is much different than back when Breech played, he was a solid kicker during his era and totally deserves someday to be in our HOF. 

Who's comparing eras? Breech was average to poor AMONGST HIS PEERS:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/breecjim01.htm

- 5 seasons out of 14 being top 10 in FG%
- 104th all-time in FG% (71.47%), despite being 47th in attempts (340).

His peers include the Anderso/ens, Eddie Murray, Nick Lowery, Norm Johnson.

- 79.7% for Morten, 270 more attempts
- 80.1% for Gary, 230 more attempts
- Murray 75.5%, 120 more attempts (and got worse as he got older, which means he was better during his and Breech's heyday)
- Lowery 80%, 140 more attempts
- Johnson 76.7%, 140 more attempts

- Morten (47.6% 50, 67.7 40), Gary (30% 50, 71.1%), Murray (48.8% 50, 65% 40), Lowery (44.8% 50, 70.9% 40), Johnson (42.5% 50, 67.1% 40) were ALL better than Breech's 23% from 50 and 50% from 40

- Morten is 31st (859 XP attempts at 98.8%), Gary is 18th (827 XP attempts at 99.1%), Murray is 37th (545 XP attempts at 98.7%), Lowery is 27th (568 XP attempts and 98.9%), Johnson is 24th (644 XP Attempts at 99%) are all SIGNIFICANTLY better than Breech, who is 129th, with 95.9% made XPs in 539 attempts.

Breech had 1 thing going for him (which you repeated) in that he was clutch. That's it. Otherwise, he was a league-average to below league-average kicker that came into the league probably 10 years too late and that's probably why his career ended in 1992, while all of his peers played basically to the millennium.

You don't get accolades because you were mediocre at your job for 14 years. Breech wasn't good, period.

And stop arguing it: don't be a Fred.
Reply/Quote
Why would you want to vote a kicker in before all of these other guys who actually had to hit and be hit in the games?
A good, consistent kicker is valuable to have but no way am I putting any of them in the ROH unless they are consistently great and make a SB winning kick. Even then there will probably be a lot of other guys who deserve it more.
I think there should only be very few great ones who get into the HOF - Guys like Vinatieri and Tucker.
Breech was a good kicker for the Bengals but he does not deserve to go into the ROH much less the HOF.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 03:20 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: This is really tough.  I've been around since the start and I tend to favor the old guys.  But damn, Boomer and Chad...Imagine the atmosphere if those two went in on the same night.  It's good to have so many great players to choose from.

After careful consideration, my first vote goes to Lemar Parrish, who should be in Canton.  He played with Ken Riley and was probably better than Rattler.  60 career takeaways (47 ints, 13 fumble recoveries) and 13 return TD's.  Still has the record for season punt return average after the merger (18.8 in 1974).  Lemar is one of six corners with at least 8 Pro Bowls and is the only one not in the Hall of Fame.  Putting him in the ROH might help get him into Canton.

Second vote to Tim Krumrie.  All time leading tackler from the NT position, he defined heart and hustle.  There is no doubt in my mind that we would have won the Super Bowl in Miami if he doesn't blow out his knee on that pathetic excuse for turf.

It was such a shame that Riley was inducted posthumously.  Let's honor these guys while we can.

Not true at all. He didn't blow out his knee and the injury had nothing to do with the turf. He was double teamed (as usual) and stuck his left leg out at a bad angle to attempt to make a stop, and his leg was broken in three places and his foot in one. All below the knee. You are right about one thing though, if we hadn't lost him, we would have beaten SF.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2023, 10:41 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Who's comparing eras? Breech was average to poor AMONGST HIS PEERS:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/breecjim01.htm

- 5 seasons out of 14 being top 10 in FG%
- 104th all-time in FG% (71.47%), despite being 47th in attempts (340).

His peers include the Anderso/ens, Eddie Murray, Nick Lowery, Norm Johnson.

- 79.7% for Morten, 270 more attempts
        - 80.1% for Gary, 230 more attempts
        - Murray 75.5%, 120 more attempts (and got worse as he got older, which means he was better during his and Breech's heyday)
        - Lowery 80%, 140 more attempts
        - Johnson 76.7%, 140 more attempts

- Morten (47.6% 50, 67.7 40), Gary (30% 50, 71.1%), Murray (48.8% 50, 65% 40), Lowery (44.8% 50, 70.9% 40), Johnson (42.5% 50, 67.1% 40) were ALL better than Breech's 23% from 50 and 50% from 40

- Morten is 31st (859 XP attempts at 98.8%), Gary is 18th (827 XP attempts at 99.1%), Murray is 37th (545 XP attempts at 98.7%), Lowery is 27th (568 XP attempts and 98.9%), Johnson is 24th (644 XP Attempts at 99%) are all SIGNIFICANTLY better than Breech, who is 129th, with 95.9% made XPs in 539 attempts.

Breech had 1 thing going for him (which you repeated) in that he was clutch. That's it. Otherwise, he was a league-average to below league-average kicker that came into the league probably 10 years too late and that's probably why his career ended in 1992, while all of his peers played basically to the millennium.

You don't get accolades because you were mediocre at your job for 14 years. Breech wasn't good, period.

And stop arguing it: don't be a Fred.

So we have to bow down to your gospel??  You are sounding like Fred..
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2023, 11:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So we have to bow down to your gospel??  You are sounding like Fred..

It's not "his gospel" it's just facts. I love me some Jim Breech, but he was average at best compared to his peers. Unfortunately, that holds true for a number of Bengal greats. Personally, I love Reggie Williams and would be fine with him in the ROH, but it's because he was a great Bengal, not a great NFL LB. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2023, 10:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Everyone mentions Ken Anderson, Willie Anderson, and they would mention Ken Riley as the players who should be in the hall, but Parrish’s accolades alone puts him in the hall.

Wait wait wait.... So NOW Pro Bowls matter to you? See, because you repeatedly argued that they didn't in the Jonah Williams vs Orlando Brown thread.

Just asking for clarification.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2023, 11:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So we have to bow down to your gospel??  You are sounding like Fred..

LOL

A petulant and childish way of saying, "I got soundly trounced in this discussion and have no rebuttal for cold, hard facts, other than my emotions."

(05-29-2023, 12:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It's not "his gospel" it's just facts. I love me some Jim Breech, but he was average at best compared to his peers. Unfortunately, that holds true for a number of Bengal greats. Personally, I love Reggie Williams and would be fine with him in the ROH, but it's because he was a great Bengal, not a great NFL LB. 

Williams was actually a VERY GOOD player amongst his peers though: he is also 72nd all-time in fumble recoveries (out of a pool of literally thousands more players that qualify for that stat) and 23rd all-time in safeties, plus he had 63.5 "unofficial," sacks and I can only imagine that he was up there in tackles every year as well.

He also won the WP Man of the Year award: 'nuff said.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2023, 10:53 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: LOL

A petulant and childish way of saying, "I got soundly trounced in this discussion and have no rebuttal for cold, hard facts, other than my emotions."

Williams was actually a VERY GOOD player amongst his peers though: he is also 72nd all-time in fumble recoveries (out of a pool of literally thousands more players that qualify for that stat) and 23rd all-time in safeties, plus he had 63.5 "unofficial," sacks and I can only imagine that he was up there in tackles every year as well.

He also won the WP Man of the Year award: 'nuff said.

There are many Bengals, who by their stats should no doubt be in the HOF. For some reason, the Hall has always snubbed Bengals players.
Reply/Quote