Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ringer article about Burrow’s deep ball

It’s too long to post here, but it’s good stuff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 11:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s too long to post here, but it’s good stuff.

So many gems in that article:

"Everything with Burrow is intentional. Chase told me that against Chicago last September Burrow underthrew a deep pass. It was an easy adjustment for Chase—and an impossible one for two Bears defenders, who collided with each other as Chase came back for the ball and then glided into the end zone for a 42-yard score. Burrow found Chase after the play and told him he meant to do that."

"NothingNothing is impossible in the Joe Burrow offense, and that’s what makes it work. “He has a creative arm, I like to call it,” Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson, Burrow’s former teammate at LSU, said. “He can put the ball exactly where you want. He is a crazy player.” Jefferson told me that it starts with his accuracy, of course, but it’s more than that. When the pocket collapses, Burrow is still looking downfield and can throw it deep. He can throw any pass out of any situation.

“Joe’s greatest gift is he’s got an incredible perception of what everybody on the field is doing and where they are located,” Callahan said."

That vision, married with the touch he can put on his passes, means he can do anything at any time. Or, as Higgins puts it: “The ball is at the right place at the right time, all the time.” Bengals coaches said that Burrow is unusually talented at reading his own receivers’ body language, the way they plant their steps, and their leans while they run. One rule of the offense is that if it’s press coverage, Burrow wants Chase to look back at him in the first 10 yards of the play and they’ll change the route. It is the closest thing to basketball you can find in football."

"Taylor said Burrow can do this both because he understands exactly what type of pass to throw in every situation, and because he has a brilliant ability to understand the body position of everyone on the defense. “He can see a safety or linebacker turned a certain way,” Taylor said, “and understand it doesn’t feel like double coverage anymore because they’re not in position with the play.”"
Reply/Quote
Great article love the Ringer.

Lot goes into the mind of a great QB.... we got one.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 12:28 PM)Nepa Wrote: So many gems in that article:

"Everything with Burrow is intentional. Chase told me that against Chicago last September Burrow underthrew a deep pass. It was an easy adjustment for Chase—and an impossible one for two Bears defenders, who collided with each other as Chase came back for the ball and then glided into the end zone for a 42-yard score. Burrow found Chase after the play and told him he meant to do that."

"NothingNothing is impossible in the Joe Burrow offense, and that’s what makes it work. “He has a creative arm, I like to call it,” Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson, Burrow’s former teammate at LSU, said. “He can put the ball exactly where you want. He is a crazy player.” Jefferson told me that it starts with his accuracy, of course, but it’s more than that. When the pocket collapses, Burrow is still looking downfield and can throw it deep. He can throw any pass out of any situation.

“Joe’s greatest gift is he’s got an incredible perception of what everybody on the field is doing and where they are located,” Callahan said."

That vision, married with the touch he can put on his passes, means he can do anything at any time. Or, as Higgins puts it: “The ball is at the right place at the right time, all the time.” Bengals coaches said that Burrow is unusually talented at reading his own receivers’ body language, the way they plant their steps, and their leans while they run. One rule of the offense is that if it’s press coverage, Burrow wants Chase to look back at him in the first 10 yards of the play and they’ll change the route. It is the closest thing to basketball you can find in football."

"Taylor said Burrow can do this both because he understands exactly what type of pass to throw in every situation, and because he has a brilliant ability to understand the body position of everyone on the defense. “He can see a safety or linebacker turned a certain way,” Taylor said, “and understand it doesn’t feel like double coverage anymore because they’re not in position with the play.”"

He's pretty much like a Larry Bird was on the BB court. Instinctive, creative and at least 3 eye balls in seeing everything develop before it actually does.
Reply/Quote
A lot of things the really great CBS do is completely invisible to the fans. These complex reads and adjustments might just result in a simple 10 yard completion. And since the receiver is wide open it looks "easy".
Reply/Quote
Good read - thanks for sharing

The QB position is much more than the arm and making throws. Gotta have a lot between the ears and be the hardest worker/studier on the team. I like hearing the Peyton Manning comparisons because that guy was a football genius who out studied everybody.
Reply/Quote
Burrow's deep ball accuracy is incredible, and honestly mind bending. I'm not going to start the debate because you can't go wrong with either, but people drool over themselves at Herbert's rocket arm and deep ball accuracy, but Joe had better grades on all depths. Short, intermediate and deep as well as higher average depth of target and big time throw %, amongst a plethora of other metrics. All while getting battered behind a treacherous offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 06:11 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Burrow's deep ball accuracy is incredible, and honestly mind bending. I'm not going to start the debate because you can't go wrong with either, but people drool over themselves at Herbert's rocket arm and deep ball accuracy, but Joe had better grades on all depths. Short, intermediate and deep as well as higher average depth of target and big time throw %, amongst a plethora of other metrics. All while getting battered behind a treacherous offensive line.

And that's the thing that just boggles the mind.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The best line…

Burrow is part football genius, part point guard, part chaos agent…
Reply/Quote
Great stuff. I just read what other's were quoting as I have to go right now but I didn't want this to make it
to the 2nd page yet. Want this handy to read later. Bump.
Reply/Quote
I have no doubt Burrow worked on it after being pretty poor at the deep ball in 2020, but Chase going out there Mossing guys and making great adjustments/catches is always going to make me wonder how much of Burrow's deep ball improvement is just Chase being really really good at football.

That's not a knock on Burrow, it just makes me think of when Tom Brady was throwing to Randy Moss and suddenly Brady went from 10, 9, 8 passes of 40+ yards in '04-'06 to 15 in 2007 when he got Moss, while leading the league in both Completion % and YPA (...and Burrow in 2021 had 15 passes of 40+ yards while leading the league in Completion % and YPA). It's just too damn similar for my mind to dismiss. (Though Randy Moss was 9 of those 15, while Chase was *merely* 8 of the 15. Lol)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 12:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I have no doubt Burrow worked on it after being pretty poor at the deep ball in 2020, but Chase going out there Mossing guys and making great adjustments/catches is always going to make me wonder how much of Burrow's deep ball improvement is just Chase being really really good at football.

That's not a knock on Burrow, it just makes me think of when Tom Brady was throwing to Randy Moss and suddenly Brady went from 10, 9, 8 passes of 40+ yards in '04-'06 to 15 in 2007 when he got Moss, while leading the league in both Completion % and YPA (...and Burrow in 2021 had 15 passes of 40+ yards while leading the league in Completion % and YPA). It's just too damn similar for my mind to dismiss. (Though Randy Moss was 9 of those 15, while Chase was *merely* 8 of the 15. Lol)

There is no doubt Chase helps big time and their chemistry together is unlike any other.

Still, Burrow's accuracy is next to none IMO.

He might be even better than Brady in his best year and I think Burrow is the better deep ball passer already.

He has a killer instinct too, just had a terrible OL last year. If we stay healthy on the OL Burrow could break records this season.

Not even kidding. Burrow just needs to learn how to slide, dude is terrible at it lol
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 12:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I have no doubt Burrow worked on it after being pretty poor at the deep ball in 2020, but Chase going out there Mossing guys and making great adjustments/catches is always going to make me wonder how much of Burrow's deep ball improvement is just Chase being really really good at football.

You make a great point. Obviously if Burrow was throwing to the Ravens receivers his numbers wouldn't be anywhere as good. Same reason Brady's last year in New England was mediocre by his standards, then he goes to Tampa and throws for 5000 yards at 44 years old. 

In that same vein, Chase, Higgins, etc. wouldn't be as good if Mac Jones was throwing them the football. It goes hand in hand.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 02:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: There is no doubt Chase helps big time and their chemistry together is unlike any other.

Still, Burrow's accuracy is next to none IMO.

He might be even better than Brady in his best year and I think Burrow is the better deep ball passer already.

He has a killer instinct too, just had a terrible OL last year. If we stay healthy on the OL Burrow could break records this season.

Not even kidding. Burrow just needs to learn how to slide, dude is terrible at it lol

You can always tell the QBs who were never baseball/soccer players when they're terrible sliders. It always blows my mind how professional athletes can be such bad sliders when people much much less athletic than them can easily do it, but then I remind myself that they didn't get it beaten into their muscle memory from the age of like 4-5 onwards which probably makes a huge difference.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 02:14 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: You make a great point. Obviously if Burrow was throwing to the Ravens receivers his numbers wouldn't be anywhere as good. Same reason Brady's last year in New England was mediocre by his standards, then he goes to Tampa and throws for 5000 yards at 44 years old. 

In that same vein, Chase, Higgins, etc. wouldn't be as good if Mac Jones was throwing them the football. It goes hand in hand.

This is why we need to keep Chase and Burrow together for their entire career as TLL says, they complement each 
other perfectly and Chase really helps out Burrow if the pass isn't perfect as was said. Chase Mosses people, too bad
we probably won't be able to keep Tee here too cause he also Mosses people.

Tee completely Mossed those 2 Raven Secondary players in our last game against them. Was beautiful.

(08-21-2022, 02:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can always tell the QBs who were never baseball/soccer players when they're terrible sliders. It always blows my mind how professional athletes can be such bad sliders when people much much less athletic than them can easily do it, but then I remind myself that they didn't get it beaten into their muscle memory from the age of like 4-5 onwards which probably makes a huge difference.

Yeah, that has to be it. He was a basketball player. I was the same way, never slid but I sure would of learned how to do it
if I was an NFL QB with dudes trying to take me out at any moment when I had to run.
Reply/Quote