Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robbie Gould
(09-05-2016, 11:48 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I found this from today's Chicago Tribune : "Gould had a rough patch last season after starting on a tear by making his first 15 field-goal attempts. Gould missed a 36-yarder wide left as regulation time expired in a 26-20 overtime loss to the 49ers at Soldier Field on Dec. 20. A week later, his 50-yard try with 1 minute, 40 seconds remaining was wide right in a 24-21 loss to the Redskins, also at home.

Gould finished the season right near his career average by making 84.6 percent of his field goals, but he did miss six of his final 24."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bears-to-release-robbie-gould-20160904-story.html

This just made it easier to excuse dumping his $2.9 million salary for a cheaper and younger option.

I still think he's a damn good kicker though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
He's a solid vet,cold weather kicker. I like him, but that said, I like Nuge as well.

Not sure that Gould is an upgrade and as previously mentioned, I like him.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This just made it easier to excuse dumping his $2.9 million salary for a cheaper and younger option.

I still think he's a damn good kicker though.

This was the most detail I could find on why he was cut. I like him too, but do wonder if there isn't something behind this other than saving a million or so. It just doesn't feel right for what that's worth ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:58 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He's a solid vet,cold weather kicker. I like him, but that said, I like Nuge as well.

Not sure that Gould is an upgrade and as previously mentioned, I like him.

FG% Rankings Recently...

Nugent:
2013: 23rd
2014: 27th
2015: 23rd
50+ '13-'15: 5/10 (50%)

Gould:
2013: 12th
2014: Did Not Qualify (Was hurt, went 9/12)
2015: 19th
50+ '13-'15: 10/14 (71.4%)

- - - - - -

Not saying Gould is the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything, but he's clearly an upgrade over Nugent.

That said, Cody Parkey might be a more interesting add. More upside if less certainty.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 12:08 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: This was the most detail I could find on why he was cut. I like him too, but do wonder if there isn't something behind this other than saving a million or so. It just doesn't feel right for what that's worth ....

I was thinking the move was $ related because they cut Gould immediately after signing Sitton, and they signed a cheaper replacement at kicker. It just seemed a bit harsh to cut such a reliable guy after a small rough patch. Plus why keep him through the preseason and then cut him when they had no replacement on the roster. All those things combined led me to believe it was to clear out cap space/save money after spending on Sitton the same day.

Obviously I could be wrong though. Maybe the Bears just like Connor Barth and pounced.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 12:43 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was thinking the move was $ related because they cut Gould immediately after signing Sitton, and they signed a cheaper replacement at kicker. It just seemed a bit harsh to cut such a reliable guy after a small rough patch. Plus why keep him through the preseason and then cut him when they had no replacement on the roster. All those things combined led me to believe it was to clear out cap space/save money after spending on Sitton the same day.

Obviously I could be wrong though. Maybe the Bears just like Connor Barth and pounced.

Well, if Gould has to be replaced, Barth looks like a good choice. Who Knows? Maybe he's the Bears next Robbie Gould. 

Gotta say this: Gould's career stats are not to be denied. I'd sign him but you'd be able to knock me over with a feather if the Bengals do. Cutting Nugent now just isn't Bengals-like. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 12:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: FG% Rankings Recently...

Nugent:

Gould:

- - - - - -

Not saying Gould is the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything, but he's clearly an upgrade over Nugent.

That said, Cody Parkey might be a more interesting add. More upside if less certainty.

I admit, I thought you may have made a mistake with your calculations, but after looking in detail, Nugent is lower tier kicking field goals. It is not like he is a cheap option either, we should upgrade.

Nice work
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 01:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think even the biggest homers could admit that Gould would be a clear upgrade.

The Bengals should jump on this.

nugents salary has already been fully garenteed for the year.... so probly not.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 12:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: FG% Rankings Recently...

Nugent:

Gould:

- - - - - -

For the price of cutting Nugent and signing Gould who had a worse pre season and end of year last year than Nugent.. Im totally passing on this thought and stay positive with how Nugent finished last 8 games, going 13 out of 15, all PATs made and roll with him one more year 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 12:56 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Well, if Gould has to be replaced, Barth looks like a good choice. Who Knows? Maybe he's the Bears next Robbie Gould. 

Gotta say this: Gould's career stats are not to be denied. I'd sign him but you'd be able to knock me over with a feather if the Bengals do. Cutting Nugent now just isn't Bengals-like. 

Cutting him at all isn't very Bengals-like, especially right now.

(09-06-2016, 10:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: nugents salary has already been fully garenteed for the year.... so probly not.

Well now we can definitely forget it. Sad that this franchise would put loyalty or money ahead of having the best possible player on the field.

Heck, I almost feel like they replaced Tate by accident. It's not like they made a conscious effort to find players to replace him. Erickson was supposed to be a typical camp body. They just stumbled on a diamond in the rough there. He forced their hand.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 09:05 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I admit, I thought you may have made a mistake with your calculations, but after looking in detail, Nugent is lower tier kicking field goals. It is not like he is a cheap option either, we should upgrade.

Nice work

It is kind of shocking when you see how low Nugent actually ranks.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:48 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I found this from today's Chicago Tribune : "Gould had a rough patch last season after starting on a tear by making his first 15 field-goal attempts. Gould missed a 36-yarder wide left as regulation time expired in a 26-20 overtime loss to the 49ers at Soldier Field on Dec. 20. A week later, his 50-yard try with 1 minute, 40 seconds remaining was wide right in a 24-21 loss to the Redskins, also at home.

Gould finished the season right near his career average by making 84.6 percent of his field goals, but he did miss six of his final 24."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bears-to-release-robbie-gould-20160904-story.html

This makes sense.  He missed two kicks that would have given the Bears wins at home.  Then, missed a couple of PATs this preseason.  Perhaps the Bears were smart to cut ties with him?  Maybe a change of scenery could do him good?  I'd still be all for bringing him in for some honest competition, as Nuge' is way too comfortable around here..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 05:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This makes sense.  He missed two kicks that would have given the Bears wins at home.  Then, missed a couple of PATs this preseason.  Perhaps the Bears were smart to cut ties with him?  Maybe a change of scenery could do him good?  I'd still be all for bringing him in for some honest competition, as Nuge' is way too comfortable around here..

Anyone still remember the Panthers game Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 04:17 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Anyone still remember the Panthers game Big Grin

Sure, just like I'm sure that many Bears fans remember their kicker letting them down twice, at home, last season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 04:17 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Anyone still remember the Panthers game Big Grin

Of course. We all do. 

Anyone remember last Sunday, week one, against his old team the Jets? The game where Nuge made the kick for the win.

As I previously mentioned I like Gould as well but I consider both to be savy vets at this point in their careers of almost equal value.

Nuge's willingness to make or at least try to make the tackle on a potential run back situation may work in his favor with his boss's.

Reply/Quote
Can he play center?
Reply/Quote
Found this amusing:

http://www.12up.com/posts/3812271-bears-k-connor-barth-misses-field-goal-that-robbie-gould-made-over-100-straight-times

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote