Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Livingston promoted to DB coach
(01-11-2018, 09:21 PM)N_B Wrote: I don't follow other organizations nearly as closely, so I'm not sure.

What I do know is we are statistically and philosophically one of the more conservative defenses out there.  The way our safeties are asked to play is a clear example of this; keep everything in front, looking for hitting/tackling more so than turnovers, etc

There was a play this past season that encapsulated our defense to me this past season.

Right at the end of the 1st half of the Titans game, Titans ball.  Forget the down and distance but they  five, six, seven seconds left, driving for  FG.

Instead of going ahead and attempting the FG, they run a play, a very quick slant for about five yards.  I think it went to Decker.  They call an immediate timeout, kick the FG.  It was kind of a long attempt, and without the extra five yards, he misses.

With the amount of time they had left, they could never go more than four, five yards downfield.  How do we D it up?  Five yard cushion.  Nutshell.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 09:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: “One of the” is not mentioning who you believe is aggressive. Our safeties play pretty much what the league plays . Are you saying overall the league is conservative? Every team in our own division plays a more conservative defense than we do...

I really don't know where you're getting this from. We are statistically one of the lowest in blitz perc, press man to man coverage, and turnover perc. The ravens and steelers are more aggressive, both philosophically and statistically.
If you're going to throw shit against the wall, then actually have some
Facts to actually back it up.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 09:29 PM)McC Wrote: There was a play this past season that encapsulated our defense to me this past season.

Right at the end of the 1st half of the Titans game, Titans ball.  Forget the down and distance but they  five, six, seven seconds left, driving for  FG.

Instead of going ahead and attempting the FG, they run a play, a very quick slant for about five yards.  I think it went to Decker.  They call an immediate timeout, kick the FG.  It was kind of a long attempt, and without the extra five yards, he misses.

With the amount of time they had left, they could never go more than four, five yards downfield.  How do we D it up?  Five yard cushion.  Nutshell.

I agree. And I worry that's it's more of a Marvin thing than a Pauly thing
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 09:38 PM)N_B Wrote: I agree.  And I worry that's it's more of a Marvin thing than a Pauly thing

I think it's definitely a Marvin thing.  Zimmer didn't play that way.  And, ironically enough, Paulie was the blitz whisperer for Zim.  Just seems like Marv didn't have the level of trust in Paulie that he had in Zim.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 09:29 PM)McC Wrote: There was a play this past season that encapsulated our defense to me this past season.

Yep, that's the "Marin ball" we've all come to loathe and despise.  He'd rather concede the FG, thinking that he's protecting from the big score, rather than just going balls-out to leave the opponent with nothing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 09:30 PM)N_B Wrote: I really don't know where you're getting this from. We are statistically one of the lowest in blitz perc, press man to man coverage, and turnover perc. The ravens and steelers are more aggressive, both philosophically and statistically.
If you're going to throw shit against the wall, then actually have some
Facts to actually back it up.

Being aggressive doesn’t mean more blitz. You blitz when you can’t cover and can’t rush. We were sixth in sacks.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 11:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Being aggressive doesn’t mean more blitz. You blitz when you can’t cover and can’t rush. We were sixth in sacks.

Then I ask again: how are the bengals aggressive?

And what about 2016, when the bengals were literally at the bottom of the league in blitzing despite ranking just 23rd in overall sack rate?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 08:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Your complaints are more about scheme and style of play instead of these players.   We just don’t play the boring conservative defense that you seem to want to play.   No new safety will ever please you because we just play a style of defense that you don’t seem to want to watch.    Dallas plays that awful and boring Tampa 2 so maybe that would be better for you to enjoy.

Playing single high coverage is not conservative defensively. And neither is asking your players to make tackles. And having one safety back is not Tampa 2...
Reply/Quote
It's when you combine the lack of blitzing with our soft zones with way too much cushion that you get our chronic (except under Zimmer) problem of offenses just marching up and down the field on us. It's why Zimmer shied away from using zone and towards press man coverage.
Reply/Quote