Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocketman
This is a tough one for me. First thing is I was hoping for more of a biopic, and this wasn't it. It was a little bit biopic, and a lot more of a musical and fantasy. I'm not a big fan of musicals so that's going to affect my opinion, but just because I don't like it that genre doesn't make it bad.

They present a lot of Elton's songs, but they are in no way in some sort of chronological order as in fact many didn't exist at the time of his life he sings them when it presents them. Usually in musical numbers with dancers. I'm sure someone or many people are gushing about the Crocodile Rock performance/levitation at the place in LA, but I found it ridiculous. And Crocodile Rock wasn't a song yet.

i wonder if Elton getting hooked up with Bernie was as random as portrayed in the movie.

If you like the flashy, musical, not too caught up in details kind of movie, then this will be a winner. If you were looking for the story of Elton John where the music is presented in performances or perhaps rehearsals, then you will be somewhat disappointed, but still might have some fun.

And was this John Reid fellow as big a dick as he is portrayed in two different movies by two different GoT stars?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As far as remakes go, was like a whole new movie.
Reply/Quote
I saw it last weekend and I am still walking around signing Elton John songs.  His hits were HUGE when I was growing up, and I still like a lot of them.

(06-03-2019, 11:16 AM)michaelsean Wrote: i wonder if Elton getting hooked up with Bernie was as random as portrayed in the movie.

Apparently it was close.  They both answered the same ad for "singer/songwriters" and met through the auditions.

(06-03-2019, 11:16 AM)michaelsean Wrote:   And was this John Reid fellow as big a dick as he is portrayed in two different movies by two different GoT stars?

Must have been something special about him.  He was banging both Freddy and Elton and pissed them both off.
Reply/Quote
Some people talk about the 1970's like it was a music wasteland, but there were some incredible talents like Stevie Wonder, Billy Joe and Elton John. Those guys were not just singers or frontmen. They were also fantastic musicians and songwriters.
Reply/Quote
The actor singing sounds uncannily like Elton, dead on at times.   Yeah, it's kind of a musical but I felt like it really told you the story of Elton's life to that point.  And that was the artistic vision Elton had as he was involved in the production.  I thought it was brilliant how he tied the music into the therapy, drugs, depression and disappointment.   He had this huge success, but he was miserable for the best 25 years of anyone's life.  We've heard/seen that before, but you actually understand the demons that drove him to attempt suicide.

I thought it was pretty damn good.  Best biopic or whatever you want to call it second only to "Ray".
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 03:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Some people talk about the 1970's like it was a music wasteland, but there were some incredible talents like Stevie Wonder, Billy Joe and Elton John. Those guys were not just singers or frontmen. They were also fantastic musicians and songwriters.

I'm 7 months after the fact lol but, they do?

The Who
Floyd
Zeppelin (overrated to death and a half)
Rush
Beginning of different genre Metal Acts like Metallica, Def Leppard, Van Halen
Discopop, ala the BeeGees (as crap as the music is, theya re PHENOMENAL vocalists and they sold a shit-ton of records)

I mean, I can go on to death.

IMO, the 70s is the best decade EVER for music, with so many genres, so many hits, so many... everything lol.

The 80s and beyond are a much bigger wasteland in comparison; music was so rich and plentiful with new sounds and acts, in the 70s.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 03:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm 7 months after the fact lol but, they do?

The Who
Floyd
Rush
Discopop, ala the BeeGees (as crap as the music is, theya re PHENOMENAL vocalists and they sold a shit-ton of records)

IMO, the 70s is the best decade EVER for music, with so many genres, so many hits, so many... everything lol.

The 80s and beyond are a much bigger wasteland in comparison; music was so rich and plentiful with new sounds and acts, in the 70s.

And all of Motown. Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Spinners, Temptations, Four Tops, and 50 more. The variety out of the 70s was insane.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 03:49 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm 7 months after the fact lol but, they do?

The Who
Floyd
Rush

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote