Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rodgers 4th Quarter Comebacks
I thought I saw last night a graphic in the Bears/Packers game that said Rodgers has 12 or 13 4th Quarter comebacks where he has tied or won the game.

If so, isn't that a very low number for a guy considered to be one of the all time greats?

I know he failed again last night as he threw 4 incompletions to end the game.

I think Dalton who has played far less games has more than Rodgers.

EDIT:I looked it up and Dalton has 17 already.

Thoughts? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
[Image: ykepg0e-gif.11135]
Reply/Quote
Rodgers doesn't have as many chances to "come back" because the Packers usually have the game in the bag by the 3rd quarter I guess. Game-winning or comeback drives are nice (I think Palmer got his 28th against us last week), but it only comes down to the wire if the other team stays in it.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2015, 02:04 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Rodgers doesn't have as many chances to "come back" because the Packers usually have the game in the bag by the 3rd quarter I guess.  Game-winning or comeback drives are nice (I think Palmer got his 28th against us last week), but it only comes down to the wire if the other team stays in it.

True maybe

Do you have a stat with number of comeback attempts to back up that assumption?

It would be interesting no know a success percent success rate versus just a number of comebacks successful.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2015, 12:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: True maybe

Do you have a stat with number of comeback attempts to back up that assumption?

It would be interesting no know a success percent success rate versus just a number of comebacks successful.

There is an easy to find list of game winning drives, but I have to say the percentage of success when in that situation does sound a lot more interesting.  Not sure if that list exists.  
Reply/Quote
When this article was written in 2012, Rodgers was only 3-18 for 4Q comebacks. The article rejects arguments that he hasn't had many opportunities, showing that roughly 30% of his games are chances for him to have a 4Q game winning drive. It also compares him to Joe Flacco to dispel an "unlucky" argument. They show that in their careers, Rodgers has had 20 close losses while Flacco had 17. Of Rodger's close losses, 50% were blown leads in the 4th quarter compared to 59% of Flacco's. 20% were Rodger's comebacks that the D then blew compared to Flacco's 29%. 15% could have been won but there was a missed FG compared to Flacco's 12%. Hell, this season alone, the Ravens' defense has accounted for 4 blown 4Q comebacks. Rodger's doesn't really have any excuse other than the fact that he just isn't performing.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/the-truth-about-the-front-running-green-bay-packers/15352/

Looking at the last 4 seasons, only 4 teams have a winning record in games where they lost the lead in the 4th quarter. GB is .364

https://brickwallblitz.wordpress.com/2015/07/13/blown-4th-quarter-leads-from-each-nfl-team-from-2011-2014/
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2015, 02:04 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Rodgers doesn't have as many chances to "come back" because the Packers usually have the game in the bag by the 3rd quarter I guess.  Game-winning or comeback drives are nice (I think Palmer got his 28th against us last week), but it only comes down to the wire if the other team stays in it.

This.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to downgrade Rodgers for this stat alone, but it does make an interesting argument toward how much the QB makes the team's success, or vice versa.

There seems to be a consensus that Dalton's winning percentage is largely due to his team being good and not his performance. I'm starting to think that is flawed...
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2015, 06:36 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: This.

That's actually false. He has had numerous chances and fails a lot. As my link showed, as of 2012, he had a chance in roughly 30% of all of his games (20 or so in 4 years).

Reply/Quote
We're going to get blasted tomorrow night Sad
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 11:46 AM)packerbacker Wrote: We're going to get blasted tomorrow night Sad

Please, just stop. Your 7-4 team is just fine despite 2 close losses to division opponents. 

Reply/Quote
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/pacestats

Quote:Updated through Week 12
Revised as of 12/1/2015

Pace stats compiled by Jim Armstrong

These stats are computed from NFL Drive Charts and Scoring Summaries. The concept of situation-neutral pace was introduced in Pro Football Prospectus 2005. The intent is to describe pace as dictated by each team's game plan or style of play, not pace that is situation-induced. The current definition discards plays when the score differential is greater than 10 points in the first half, plays when the score differential is greater than 8 points in the 3rd quarter, plays in the 4th quarter or overtime, and plays in the last five minutes of the first half.

The Time Stats table displays Time of Possession and Game Time breakdowns for each team.

The top number in each category is in bold type.  NFL ranking is in parentheses.

[Image: 120215.jpg]
I don't if that helps or not. But it show the amount of time a team played with the lead vs trailing.  Just not broke down by quarter.  Still searching.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2015, 12:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I thought I saw last night a graphic in the Bears/Packers game that said Rodgers has 12 or 13 4th Quarter comebacks where he has tied or won the game.

If so, isn't that a very low number for a guy considered to be one of the all time greats?

I know he failed again last night as he threw 4 incompletions to end the game.

I think Dalton who has played far less games has more than Rodgers.

EDIT:I looked it up and Dalton has 17 already.

Thoughts? 

Just for the sake of accuracy:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

[Image: Top_CB.jpg]
[Image: top_CBa.jpg]
[Image: top_CBb.jpg]
[Image: Top_CBc.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton
12 fourth quarter comebacks, 16 game-winning drives

Aaron Rodgers
9 fourth quarter comebacks, 13 game-winning drives
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 03:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: Andy Dalton
12 fourth quarter comebacks, 16 game-winning drives

Aaron Rodgers
9 fourth quarter comebacks, 13 game-winning drives

http://thebiglead.com/2013/09/24/espn-says-aaron-rodgers-is-not-clutch-due-to-5-24-record-when-trailing-in-4th/

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/aaron-rodgers-mr-irrelevant-fourth-quarter/15278/

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 11:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Please, just stop. Your 7-4 team is just fine despite 2 close losses to division opponents. 

And falling apart fast. 9-7 at best for this team.
Reply/Quote
Completely BS facemask call, but Rodgers took full advantage of that. Nice 4th Q comeback.

Reply/Quote
Add another one to the list for Rodgers, woooooooow. This is the week of last second bullcorn. MNF and TNF end of some low percentage hijinx. LOVE THIS GAME!
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 01:42 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Completely BS facemask call, but Rodgers took full advantage of that. Nice 4th Q comeback.

Agree about the facemask but Detroit defenders had no excuse to not have someone closer to the goal line.
Reply/Quote
Idc bout face mask that was insane
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote