Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rodgers 4th Quarter Comebacks
What an insane win here's the vid

http://youtu.be/tPn12mHB4lw
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
NBC Sports - ProFootballTalk: Facemask rule, as written, wasn’t violated by Lions
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/04/facemask-rule-as-written-wasnt-violated-by-lions/

Quote:Notwithstanding the explanation provided by NFL V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino after the Packers beat the Lions with an untimed down after a facemask penalty at the end of a Stanford-band-style hackey-sack play by the Packers, the rules suggest that what happened to Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers wasn’t a foul.

“No player shall grasp and control, twist, turn, push, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction,” Rule 12, Section 2, Article 14 states.

The rule comes with an important caveat: “If a player grasps an opponent’s facemask, he must immediately release it. If he does not immediately release it and controls his opponent, it is a foul.”

Lions defender Devin Taylor grazed the facemask of Aaron Rodgers, at best. If there was any grasping (and there wasn’t), Taylor immediately released the facemask.

The game-deciding penalty underscores the need for the NFL to embrace technology, not necessarily as part of a second-guess replay review process but as a first look at the call based on the many available camera angles. If the NFL had a video official in the booth charged with assisting the on-field crew on a real-time basis in getting all calls right, that official could have informed referee Carl Cheffers and there was no grasp and control, no twist, no turn, no push, and no pull of the facemask.

Even if an official makes that call “every time,” as Blandino claims, it doesn’t make the call right. The video evidence makes it clear that there was no violation.

The outcome couldn’t have been more dramatic, for either team. The Packers avoided falling 1.5 games behind the Vikings in the NFC North, and the Lions had, as a practical matter, a death blow applied to their season. All because the officials didn’t accurately interpret the events unfolding in front of them.

If the NFL wants seasons to hinge on such arbitrary outcomes, so be it. But those who prefer that the officials always get it right will always have the ability to complain when the correctable frailties of human perception give a team an unwarranted opportunity to win a game.
Reply/Quote
The facemask was ticky tack but you have to give it up for both of the Rodgers on that last play. Escapes a sack and launches a perfect, high throw and Rodgers the TE fielded it perfectly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 03:46 AM)Joelist Wrote: The facemask was ticky tack but you have to give it up for both of the Rodgers on that last play. Escapes a sack and launches a perfect, high throw and Rodgers the TE fielded it perfectly.

Oh it was fantastic execution. Lions have only themselves to blame... Odds of hitting that are so small .
Reply/Quote
Saw it. Not surprised. It's the Lions.
Reply/Quote
Like I said, BS facemask call... but I understand why it was called. Refs don't watch the game in replay, they watch it real time.

It was close enough that it looked like it from their point of view.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 09:27 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Like I said, BS facemask call... but I understand why it was called. Refs don't watch the game in replay, they watch it real time.

This is why penalties need to be reviewable. Not all because that would slow the game down dramatically, but giving each coach 2 extra challenges just for penalties would be great. 

That said, the refs didn't throw a 70 yard hail mary at the end.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 09:27 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Like I said, BS facemask call... but I understand why it was called. Refs don't watch the game in replay, they watch it real time.

Officials call what they THINK they see...not what actually happens.

Shame we don't have the technology to tell them they were in a bad position and the rest of the world knows what really happens.

Maybe someday we'll be able to communicate with the officials on the field when they make a game changing mistake like that.

Someday.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
Dangit... I picked the Lions... they had that game in hand... sadness
Reply/Quote
Go figure the Browns and Lions found exciting and unbelievable ways to lose this week. I'm astonished.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 11:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: Officials call what they THINK they see...not what actually happens.

Shame we don't have the technology to tell them they were in a bad position and the rest of the world knows what really happens.

Maybe someday we'll be able to communicate with the officials on the field when they make a game changing mistake like that.

Someday.

Game changing plays based on human errors is what the game was built on. All sports have this. It's the same argument for challenging balls and strikes in baseball.

Why bother having them on the field at all? Just take a break after every play and see if there were any penalties...

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 11:40 AM)GMDino Wrote: Officials call what they THINK they see...not what actually happens.

Someday.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.....and

My issue is there were 2 refs involved. The one furthest away threw the flag. I saw no conference with the closer official. I saw no turn of Rodgers head (typical for a face mask to be called.
It was a bad call and game should have been over. In this case, the refs took a game away from Detroit and gave it to the Packers. I like the Packers so I was happy for them, but I hate bad calls costing games and possibly changing playoff teams. The Vikes and any possible wildcard team has to be very upset along with the Lions who if they ran the table also may have made the playoffs. 1 bad call ended their season and that is just not right.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 09:35 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Game changing plays based on human errors is what the game was built on. All sports have this. It's the same argument for challenging balls and strikes in baseball.

Why bother having them on the field at all? Just take a break after every play and see if there were any penalties...

You are 100% correct about human error. If that was the only point of discussion, there would be no discussion.

My biggest beef is the NFL makes a ton of money, yet they use a bunch of part time officials. They could afford to hire and train the best, make them full time with a lot more accountability for their human errors. I ma not saying fire them after one mistake, but a grading system used for raises and or discipline over time. Pay them as full time employees and then hold them accountable as we all do for people we hire and pay large sums of money and give great benefits.

I also agree we can't challenge every play. In fact, I feel it should be all or nothing. Either allow more challenges and expand what can be challenged or end replay and go back to the human error as was the norm in all sports in the past.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2015, 09:35 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Game changing plays based on human errors is what the game was built on. All sports have this. It's the same argument for challenging balls and strikes in baseball.

And yet they have the technology to change them and refuse to do so.

I made a suggestion on another board that would help a lot:

Have two cameras, one over each sideline, running from the wire like the one in the middle of the field.  Line those cameras up with the first down marker after each play and on the end line when it is goal to go.  The mount a camera on the goal line (each side of each line).  

Simple fix.

Does that eliminate every close call?  Of course not.  Would it help using existing technology to ensure that the most obvious missed calls are corrected?  Yes.

Add a rule that if the replay officials sees an obvious mistake. (The face mask on Rodgers) they can tell the officials on the field.  Detroit beat GB for 60 minutes...and the officials, by making a call they THOUGHT they saw, allowed GB another chance.  Even when the officials with the best view did NOT make the call.

But the NFL probably doesn't care because people are talking about the NFL.  They are the new WWF.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2015, 01:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: And yet they have the technology to change them and refuse to do so.

I made a suggestion on another board that would help a lot:

Have two cameras, one over each sideline, running from the wire like the one in the middle of the field.  Line those cameras up with the first down marker after each play and on the end line when it is goal to go.  The mount a camera on the goal line (each side of each line).  

Simple fix.

Does that eliminate every close call?  Of course not.  Would it help using existing technology to ensure that the most obvious missed calls are corrected?  Yes.

Add a rule that if the replay officials sees an obvious mistake. (The face mask on Rodgers) they can tell the officials on the field.  Detroit beat GB for 60 minutes...and the officials, by making a call they THOUGHT they saw, allowed GB another chance.  Even when the officials with the best view did NOT make the call.

But the NFL probably doesn't care because people are talking about the NFL.  They are the new WWF.

I thought my sarcasm made it clear having this technology to review every single call would be an unnecessary burden to the game. 

Luvnit, I'll never disagree they need better trained, full time refs. That's a far more reasonable fix.

Reply/Quote
Really wasn't a bad call. He hit him on the head then it should have been called a horse collar tackle anyway the way he yanked Rodgers down. The play before that should have been pass interference anyway on Detroit as the cornerback raped Abberderaius I think it was but no call. That should have put us in FG range anyway for the game winning kick. Lion fans can whine all they want but if you can't stop a 65 yard hail Mary you don't deserve to win period. I love Cincinnati too but if they didn't call the facemask on Dalton in that situation you guys would not be happy either. It's a tough game that can go either way. We should have lost but thank God we won. I'll take it and run. I still don't think this team will go far but I'll be happy with another divisional title.
Reply/Quote
Calls like that one in the Ravens game almost makes me want this review after every call. Miami defender shoves a Ravens receiver 15 yards down field and falls on his ass.

Ravens receiver then has a 53 yard TD.

They call it OPI

Reply/Quote
http://dailysnark.com/refs-call-one-worst-pass-interference-calls-nfl-history/

Reply/Quote
Awful. The ref who threw that flag should be fired.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote