Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rodney Anderson Highlights
It's slow these days, so you probably have a few minutes.

Watch this tape and tell me if you still think taking a flyer on this guy in the last round was a mistake.

Granted, the list of oft-injured college RBs who go on to have all pro NFL careers is a short one. But for a 7th, for a guy with this obvious talent, it was worth it.

He can catch out of the backfield, has great vision and dynamite open field moves & speed. Not really a twixt-the-tackles runner, but there is an important, pre-defined role for guys like him in today's NFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w69Zu_ehTGM
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He finished on the injury list 75% of the time in college. That is a pretty glaring stat. And considering our issues with injuries.... is the pre-defined role on IR?

Per NFL draft prospects... (https://www.nfl.com/prospects/rodney-anderson?id=3219414e-4447-1841-e43a-8a52ce91e342)

He is not quick, takes punishing shots running upright between tackles, and has issues in pass protection. That and finishing 3 of 4 years with injuries...
Reply/Quote
No one argues the injuries being troublesome. That's why he went in the 7th.

But not quick? You lost me there.

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 11:39 AM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: He finished on the injury list 75% of the time in college.  That is a pretty glaring stat. And considering our issues with injuries.... is the pre-defined role on IR?

Per NFL draft prospects... (https://www.nfl.com/prospects/rodney-anderson?id=3219414e-4447-1841-e43a-8a52ce91e342)

He is not quick, takes punishing shots running upright between tackles, and has issues in pass protection.  That and finishing 3 of 4 years with injuries...
Sometimes freak occurrences just happen with the injuries. It's plenty people in the world that have broken bones so I dont know why when it come to athletes some people feel that they are not susceptible to this as well. Let's hope for the best and look at the bright side if he stays healthy and play up to his talent. We would have found a steal in the lower rounds. As hope for the future Frank Core tore both ACL's at the "U" and if I'm not mistaken twice on the same knee. Terry Allen the RB from the 90s with the Skins and Vikings as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 12:20 PM)804 fan Wrote: Sometimes freak occurrences just happen with the injuries. It's plenty people in the world that have broken bones so I dont know why when it come to athletes some people feel that they are not susceptible to this as well. Let's hope for the best and look at the bright side if he stays healthy and play up to his talent. We would have found a steal in the lower rounds. As hope for the future Frank Core tore both ACL's at the "U" and if I'm not mistaken twice on the same knee. Terry Allen the RB from the 90s with the Skins and Vikings as well.

Gore is the gigantic exception to that rule. He's something different. Most players aren't made like him. Willis McGahee was another.

Reply/Quote
If anyone mad about this pick, Anderson ran for 200 yards against a Georgia defense littered with NFL players in the college football playoff semis! I get the durability concerns, but well worth a 6th round flyer in my opinion. No pressure for Anderson to perform early either...Bengals may try to stash him on IR/practice squad and then let Gio walk the following year.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 11:58 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: No one argues the injuries being troublesome. That's why he went in the 7th.

But not quick? You lost me there.

Just going off of NFL Draft Prospects... 
  • Lacks twitch and dynamic movement as an athlete
  • Running style is more gradual than sudden
  • Marginal difference in burst between first and second gear
  • Average speed to the corner could be trouble against NFL pace
  • Slow to restart feet once he's forced to gear down
  • Struggles to elude tacklers in close quarters
I grouped a few of those points into "quickness" myself.  And with that being said, it is a comparative analysis between NFL backs. I am sure he is quick compared to a 7-eleven cashier. But side-by-side with other backs... he is not standing out for burst/acceleration/quickness.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 03:43 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Just going off of NFL Draft Prospects... 

• Lacks twitch and dynamic movement as an athlete
  • Running style is more gradual than sudden
  • Marginal difference in burst between first and second gear
  • Average speed to the corner could be trouble against NFL pace
  • Slow to restart feet once he's forced to gear down
  • Struggles to elude tacklers in close quarters
I grouped a few of those points into "quickness" myself.  And with that being said, it is a comparative analysis between NFL backs. I am sure he is quick compared to a 7-eleven cashier. But side-by-side with other backs... he is not standing out for burst/acceleration/quickness.

Well, that's an educated opinion. I don't see him that way. I see a guy who has great open field moves and runs instinctively with - yes - quickness. He's also stronger than he appears. I don't think he'd give Mixon any sort of run for his money even when healthy, but he could be a great 2 or 3 back. I do like Williams more, but they're both potentially solid or even above average NFL backs. 

Reply/Quote
What's 6th round pick? I'm totally ok with Anderson. I don't see alot of risk. He might not even make the team, though. Darrin Hall, the RB for Pitt we picked up, looks like a similar runner. We'll have some good competition this preseason;
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Last oft injured and very talented back came out of Oklahoma was Adrian Peterson.

Now settle down. Not saying he’ll be as successful as AP. Just sayin’ sometimes those injuries can come at once and then the back can go many years without an injury.
Reply/Quote
He is very well worth the pick, if he craps out we haven't really lost anything, and if he blossoms he could really be something. It will be a lot of fun watching the competition for the 3rd and 4th RB spots this year....
Reply/Quote
No more injury prone players please. At least he wasn't drafted in the first round like the other colleged-injured, NFL disappointment Ross.

You know its bad when you begin a sentence with " At least..."
Reply/Quote
Well, when you're talking about a throwaway 7th rounder, you can preface it with "at least."

Reply/Quote
I tend to lean more towards the possibility that this guy could be considered a steal of the draft, and tend to agree that throwing a 7th round pick is totally worth it in the realm of risk v reward. If nothing else, he's a great potential backup to Gio in terms of depth. Those were some pretty crazy highlights for a 7th rounder.
Reply/Quote
I didn't take the backlash as it being against the player.

Just the idea of "another rb" after selecting Williams a couple picks before.

I think fans were still waiting for a WR, DE, CB, RT prospect to be taken. Some of our perceived needs that were still outstanding.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
For Anderson, or Tyler Eifert, the injuries aren't conditioning type injuries that would indicate the player is somewhat responsible for their injuries and "injury-prone". Breaking bones, tearing ligaments, those are just injuries that happen. They can happen to anyone, some players can largely avoid them, some seem snake-bitten and unfortunately experience more than their share of them.

I don't know what some people want in a late round pick. You aren't getting a polished player with upside. You aren't getting a day 1 starter without risk. If you want a polished player late, he's going to be limited athletically. You want an athletic developmental guy that could become a late round steal and a key player, he's going to take a year or two to learn how to play the game. Maybe Anderson isn't "quick", but I've seen multiple grades on him where if he doesn't have the injury history, he's a second round pick.

If a 6th round pick can't play, most people aren't too hard on the organization for a wasted pick. It was a late pick they hoped would pan out. If Anderson can play (more of "if Anderson can stay healthy"), the Bengals hit on a player well worth the risk of a late pick. Nit-picking day 3 picks is a pretty futile exercise.
[Image: HZgos1.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 12:21 AM)TrenchWarfare Wrote: Last oft injured and very talented back came out of Oklahoma was Adrian Peterson.

Now settle down. Not saying he’ll be as successful as AP. Just sayin’ sometimes those injuries can come at once and then the back can go many years without an injury.

You mean DeMarco Murray.

I'm a Sooner fan, and at the start of the college season, Rodney was in the mix for Heisman candidate.

He's Quick to the gaps, elusive and very hard to bring down. He's not gonna break off 60 Yard runs, but he's good for 15-20 before being dragged down, he can catch very good to.

I was hoping we would take a late round flier on him. If he can get conditioned and stay healthy, he can be a great backup. He's not a Mixon level athlete, but still a good one.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 11:23 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: It's slow these days, so you probably have a few minutes.

Watch this tape and tell me if you still think taking a flyer on this guy in the last round was a mistake.

Granted, the list of oft-injured college RBs who go on to have all pro NFL careers is a short one. But for a 7th, for a guy with this obvious talent, it was worth it.

He can catch out of the backfield, has great vision and dynamite open field moves & speed. Not really a twixt-the-tackles runner, but there is an important, pre-defined role for guys like him in today's NFL

What i see in this vid is great balance, vision with good hands out of the backfield. I remember watching this guy and thinking he could be another great one at Oklahoma. I love how he lets his blocks set up and he just hits holes really fast. Follows his blockers extremely well. Traveon is a great talent and i like him a bit more but this guy is one hell of a RB too when he is healthy.

Damn, what a competition at RB!
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 11:23 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: It's slow these days, so you probably have a few minutes.

Thanks for video RKR! I like the way this guys runs. He's pretty smooth in the open and really like the 1 plant and go up field! If Mixon gets dinged, we might be in good hands with Anderson til Joe returns!
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 10:53 AM)oldschoolomen Wrote: For Anderson, or Tyler Eifert, the injuries aren't conditioning type injuries that would indicate the player is somewhat responsible for their injuries and "injury-prone". Breaking bones, tearing ligaments, those are just injuries that happen. They can happen to anyone, some players can largely avoid them, some seem snake-bitten and unfortunately experience more than their share of them.

I don't know what some people want in a late round pick. You aren't getting a polished player with upside. You aren't getting a day 1 starter without risk. If you want a polished player late, he's going to be limited athletically. You want an athletic developmental guy that could become a late round steal and a key player, he's going to take a year or two to learn how to play the game. Maybe Anderson isn't "quick", but I've seen multiple grades on him where if he doesn't have the injury history, he's a second round pick.

If a 6th round pick can't play, most people aren't too hard on the organization for a wasted pick. It was a late pick they hoped would pan out. If Anderson can play (more of "if Anderson can stay healthy"), the Bengals hit on a player well worth the risk of a late pick. Nit-picking day 3 picks is a pretty futile exercise.

Well put!
Reply/Quote