Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Roe Vs Wade Overturned
It's hilarius how Facebook is blowing up on how "this is a horrible day for the progression of women in the country" and how the "country is going backwards and overstepping their limits," because I don't think most people realize that it's just the federal government staying out of it and leaving it up to the states on whether abortion is legal.

That literally says that the government is staying out of it and now it's more localized, which gives people more power.

Every woman that I've met that votes Democrat said they only do so because of women's rights, so will they turn Republican now that it's a local issue?

I don't think they understand because the Supreme Court is just saying that it's not in their power to make the ruling of Row vs Wade.

All the people that voted for Biden just because of this is hilariously ironic because of this and now we're stuck with Biden ***** everything up.
Reply/Quote
If most people didnt want this overturned won't they be more likely to vote Democrat now in order to send it back to the federal level?

I just don't see how Republicans doing something most people didn't want is going to convert people to their side.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 03:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If most people didnt want this overturned won't they be more likely to vote Democrat now in order to send it back to the federal level?

I just don't see how Republicans doing something most people didn't want is going to convert people to their side.

Gerrymandering the majority from having control is one reason it doesn't actually matter if things are popular or not.

I saw someone earlier say "We are two rapidly diverting ideologies living within a single border that can't sustain on this course for much longer" and I tend to agree with it. This kind of contention leads to radicalization and I worry that we aren't far off from more violence in the near future. Rhetoric being used describing people of opposing views more like enemy combatants than fellow citizens is a bad sign for how this thing goes. 
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: Gerrymandering the majority from having control is one reason it doesn't actually matter if things are popular or not.

I saw someone earlier say "We are two rapidly diverting ideologies living within a single border that can't sustain on this course for much longer" and I tend to agree with it. This kind of contention leads to radicalization and I worry that we aren't far off from more violence in the near future. Rhetoric being used describing people of opposing views more like enemy combatants than fellow citizens is a bad sign for how this thing goes. 

Right but he's postulating that people who voted democrat to preserve roe v wade might switch to voting republican now that republicans overturned it against their will. 

Just seems like an odd mindset.  
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right but he's postulating that people who voted democrat to preserve roe v wade might switch to voting republican now that republicans overturned it against their will. 

Just seems like an odd mindset.  

Oh didn't see the context, no that's not happening obviously. All this is going to do is potentially give the Democrats a fighting chance now in the mid terms where they previously had none. I think if the GOP could do it again they'd actually have preferred this have happened right after mid terms or a year ago.
Reply/Quote
It's an unfortunate decision in my mind but I have seen people talking about "abortion is now illegal" and I think some folks are running with that mindset. States are still able to regulate what is available. I also understand what the SCOTUS is doing - they are making a decision about whether the 14th amendment provides a constitutional right to abortion. Their answer is no. I think that their should be protections for abortion and that abortion should be available nationwide (regardless of state), but that isn't what the SCOTUS is debating.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: Oh didn't see the context, no that's not happening obviously. All this is going to do is potentially give the Democrats a fighting chance now in the mid terms where they previously had none. I think if the GOP could do it again they'd actually have preferred this have happened right after mid terms or a year ago.

If the mid terms were next week, maybe. But they aren't until November, people will have long figured out this didn't change much and states that want unfettered abortions will still have them. Gas, food and the economy will dictate the mid terms.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If the mid terms were next week, maybe. But they aren't until November, people will have long figured out this didn't change much and states that want unfettered abortions will still have them. Gas, food and the economy will dictate the mid terms.

People might take into account all the money they're going to have to spend on gas to drive to states where things are still unfettered.
Reply/Quote
My take? I don't know if Roe was a good legal decision. I've heard many say it was not, but I just don't know. twenty years ago I would have been thrilled with this, but today I wasn't if I'm being honest with myself. I think we are too far in to go back now. Sadly I believe I've become numb to abortion. My guess is the senate will now abolish the filibuster and pass a federal law. And of course the cynic in me believes the Democrat power structure loves this and the republican power structure hates this because it's all about power for them, and this helps the Dems in November.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: People might take into account all the money they're going to have to spend on gas to drive to states where things are still unfettered.

You really think there's that many people worried about gas money to get an abortion?  Hilarious Besides, companies are lining up knocking each other over trying to be the first to say they will pay for people to travel to kill their unborn. So it shouldn't cost them a dime.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: My take?  I don't know if Roe was a good legal decision.  I've heard many say it was not, but I just don't know.  twenty years ago I would have been thrilled with this, but today I wasn't if I'm being honest with myself.  I think we are too far in to go back now.  Sadly I believe I've become numb to abortion.  My guess is the senate will now abolish the filibuster and pass a federal law.  And of course the cynic in me believes the Democrat power structure loves this and the republican power structure hates this because it's all about power for them, and this helps the Dems in November.

You may be right, but if the Dems abolish the filibuster, watch how they scream and whine come January when they are in the minority. You would think they would realize that, but sadly they don't.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 03:50 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's hilarius how Facebook is blowing up on how "this is a horrible day for the progression of women in the country" and how the "country is going backwards and overstepping their limits," because I don't think most people realize that it's just the federal government staying out of it and leaving it up to the states on whether abortion is legal.

That literally says that the government is staying out of it and now it's more localized, which gives people more power.

Every woman that I've met that votes Democrat said they only do so because of women's rights, so will they turn Republican now that it's a local issue?

I don't think they understand because the Supreme Court is just saying that it's not in their power to make the ruling of Row vs Wade.

All the people that voted for Biden just because of this is hilariously ironic because of this and now we're stuck with Biden ***** everything up.

1. This isn't a Biden thing. Trump appointed the people responsible for this. Trump always wanted to overturn Roe vs. Wade. 

2. What you said is true, but I believe there was motive behind it. Why even mess with it if there wasn't? Federal government is staying out of it, but by doing so they are SEVERLY limiting a woman's right to an abortion and making it illegal for over half the Woman in the US. That is purposeful. If you think this is "giving people more power" then I just straight up disagree with that. Rights that were protected by the government are now not. 

3. I personally disagree with the decision. I have struggled with whether I am pro life or pro choice my entire life (and am still unsure to be honest) but the effects of this are going to be devastating. Woman who are raped or unable to provide or care for a child will be unable to have an abortion. Healthy woman who have a compromised pregnancy could be in danger by not being able to have an abortion. Crime rates will sky rocket. Mental health and families will deteriorate. 

It's a big deal. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: My take?  I don't know if Roe was a good legal decision.  I've heard many say it was not, but I just don't know.  twenty years ago I would have been thrilled with this, but today I wasn't if I'm being honest with myself.  I think we are too far in to go back now.  Sadly I believe I've become numb to abortion.  My guess is the senate will now abolish the filibuster and pass a federal law.  And of course the cynic in me believes the Democrat power structure loves this and the republican power structure hates this because it's all about power for them, and this helps the Dems in November.

I could see this rallying a lot of support for the left just because most people didn't want this to happen, and lord knows how much of a rallying cry stuff like this can be during the political era of "Look what THEY are taking from you!"

With that being said, making it a state by state thing just makes it so women who can't afford to take sudden and vague "vacations to the north" are the ones being burdened by it.  
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You really think there's that many people worried about gas money to get an abortion?  Hilarious Besides, companies are lining up knocking each other over trying to be the first to say they will pay for people to travel to kill their unborn. So it shouldn't cost them a dime.  Ninja

So gas prices are the biggest issue going into this next election, but people who are looking at having to drive 1000 miles round trip for an abortion aren't going to care?  Ida know...I think you're trying to come up with ways that gas prices only serve your agenda.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: Gerrymandering the majority from having control is one reason it doesn't actually matter if things are popular or not.

I think that is definitely happening, but those people are the minority. The overwhelming majority of people in this country just want to live normal, unaffected, un-politicized, happy lives. Think about the majority of your family and friends - how many of those people are actual nutcases that would cause violence in order to pass their political agenda? Probably not a lot. 

The polarization of those minority groups is wild, though...and definitely a scary thing.  
Reply/Quote
I’m not sure the GOP message of “we control your bodies” and “you will obey my religious principles” is going to sit well with voters who are not already brainwashed. And hell some of the brainwashed ones may even frown on this.

This is bad. Why on a Friday? I feel like this is going to be a bad weekend.

I wonder if this is what it feels like living under taliban rule
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 05:06 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m not sure the GOP message of “we control your bodies” is going to sit well with voters who are not already brainwashed. And hell some of the brainwashed ones may even frown on this.

This is bad. Why on a Friday? I feel like this is going to be a bad weekend

The timing was intentional. Friday is when you release news that you don't want to get as much attention. They were hoping that the 2A decision, yesterday, would cover up the abortion decision today.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 05:06 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m not sure the GOP message of “we control your bodies” and “you will obey my religious principles” is going to sit well with voters who are not already brainwashed. And hell some of the brainwashed ones may even frown on this.

This is bad. Why on a Friday? I feel like this is going to be a bad weekend.

I wonder if this is what it feels like living under taliban rule

I kind of agree with this. I lean right, but why go and mess with abortion? Like that is just one of those things you just don't touch. You can talk about it, but every politician knows it's just that...talk. 

GOP is stupid for messing with this. 
Reply/Quote
5 people none of us have ever voted for just took rights away from half the country.

Does not sit right with me.

This is the type of shit that makes people feel like a cornered animal and makes them lash out
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 05:00 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think that is definitely happening, but those people are the minority. The overwhelming majority of people in this country just want to live normal, unaffected, un-politicized, happy lives. Think about the majority of your family and friends - how many of those people are actual nutcases that would cause violence in order to pass their political agenda? Probably not a lot. 

The polarization of those minority groups is wild, though...and definitely a scary thing.  

I don't think it's as fringe anymore as people think because it has seeped into mainstream so much. You can barely go anywhere without being subjected to political debate or discourse. My inlaws are conservative and they are not what I would call fringe people at all but in the last two years they have started using things like "Liberals" and "Democrats" in a combative and pejorative way. 
Reply/Quote