Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rogue One: I can't believe no ones started a thread on it yet?!
Amazing movie, it explains so much to the first Star Wars A New Hope. I just saw it tonight with my son. I've been dying to see it, but I wanted to wait to see it with him. Anyways I'd been hearing mixed reviews from movie "critics" saying that while not terrible, not great either. And all week my Star war loving friends and co-workers have been telling me to ignore the critics and go see it now. I'm here to tell you to do the same if you haven't already. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 03:13 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Amazing movie, it explains so much to the first Star Wars A New Hope.  I just saw it tonight with my son.  I've been dying to see it, but I wanted to wait to see it with him.  Anyways I'd been hearing mixed reviews from movie "critics" saying that while not terrible, not great either.  And all week my Star war loving friends and co-workers have been telling me to ignore the critics and go see it now.  I'm here to tell you to do the same if you haven't already.   :andy:

Not sure why critics is in quotation marks.  That's what they do for a living so that's what they are.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 85%.  That's a solid number.  The critic's consensus:

Quote:Rogue One draws deep on Star Wars mythology while breaking new narrative and aesthetic ground -- and suggesting a bright blockbuster future for the franchise.

High praise indeed.  And, it's on my list to see along with quite a few other movies out right now.  Glad you enjoyed it and hope I will, too.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
There was a thread started about it a few weeks back:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story

But the discussion about it actually ended up being in the Force Awakens thread:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Star-Wars-VII-The-Force-Awakens?page=6
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 08:21 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Not sure why critics is in quotation marks.  That's what they do for a living so that's what they are.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 85%.  That's a solid number.  The critic's consensus:

High praise indeed.  And, it's on my list to see along with quite a few other movies out right now.  Glad you enjoyed it and hope I will, too.

Basically saying Disney is gonna milk this till the cow runs dry and your beloved franchise has been ran thru the dirt.

Wasn't excited about SW7 not excited about this one either. The Pre Trilogy really hurt the franchise in my mind.. (eps 1,2,3) darth vader is just a whining ***** now. after episode 3.

I'm sure a lot of new star wars movies will be coming out as fast as they can make them... Cant say that will be a good thing. They already look like they don't have any fresh ideas.

A Movie about darth vaders aprentence would be good I believe the force unleashed games were called canon when they released.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2016, 04:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Basically saying Disney is gonna milk this till the cow runs dry and your beloved franchise has been ran thru the dirt.

Doesn't all that go without saying?  This thing is a cash machine and all you can do is hope they make an interesting story every now and again.  After I, II and III you're owed some entertainment. 
Reply/Quote
I get the concerns about over saturation....But haven't most of the Bond movies been good/great? I think that's a fair comparison and expectation.

Only other loose comparison I can think of is the Alien/Predator series and related films. Bond is consistently good/great, while the former is more of a mixed bag but wouldn't disappoint me if that's the Disney "Star Wars" output.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
Rogue One was a little darker than the others in my opinion. The good guys were a little less good and more morally ambiguous, e.g. the ends justify the means.  I liked it better than any of the prequels. The snobs can complain all they want about Disney, but they have done a better job with Rogue One and A Force Awakens than George Lucas did with episodes I-III. 
Reply/Quote
Saw it last week. I liked it, maybe more than Chapter VII. Curious which of the two you preferred more?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 09:17 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Saw it last week.  I liked it, maybe more than Chapter VII.  Curious which of the two you preferred more?

That's hard to say.  If I was on death row and could only see one, I'd say Rogue One because it doesn't have an open ending.  Whereas with A New Awakening it leaves you with a bunch of unanswered questions to set up the next movie.  I'd feel, "Shit! I'm never going to know what happens next."
Reply/Quote
Han Solo Movie is coming....
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 05:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Han Solo Movie is coming....

Now this one I dont know about. Saw that Woody Harrelson signed on for it, but if it takes a cheesy kind of route it will suck.

But Rogue One was awesome imo. It was everything I wanted it to be for its place in the Star Wars universe. And I am not afraid to say it might be the 2nd best Star Wars movie ever, behind Empire.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

It's got to be about making the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs, doesn't it?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 06:34 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Now this one I dont know about. Saw that Woody Harrelson signed on for it, but if it takes a cheesy kind of route it will suck.

But Rogue One was awesome imo. It was everything I wanted it to be for its place in the Star Wars universe. And I am not afraid to say it might be the 2nd best Star Wars movie ever, behind Empire.

Did you watch the first season of True Detective?  That show and Harrelson's performance were not goofy at all.   He has played some goofy characters, but he isn't limited to goofy characters. But, I agree if it is similar to the prequels I will be disappointed. Hayden Christiansen's performance as a young Anakin is borderline embarrassingly painful to watch. Whomever is playing young Han has some huge shoes to fill. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 08:50 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Did you watch the first season of True Detective?  That show and Harrelson's performance were not goofy at all.   He has played some goofy characters, but he isn't limited to goofy characters. But, I agree if it is similar to the prequels I will be disappointed. Hayden Christiansen's performance as a young Anakin is borderline embarrassingly painful to watch. Whomever is playing young Han has some huge shoes to fill. 

I don't know, seeing Woody from Cheers in space would be kinda neat.

[Image: 25carr2190.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2016, 04:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: A Movie about darth vaders aprentence would be good I believe the force unleashed games were called canon when they released.

The first Force Unleashed was considered canon by George Lucas and was the only EU material to be dubbed canon by Lucas.

The problem with making it a movie is they kind of ignored his codename 'Starkiller' when they made the super Death Star in TFA.

Plus the game did a good enough job telling the story. Making it into a movie means things would have to be cut or altered and there's no point in doing it.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 08:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It's got to be about making the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs, doesn't it?

I would imagine its about a young hans solo...  As Woody is his mentor I believe.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 09:04 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I don't know, seeing Woody from Cheers in space would be kinda neat.

[Image: 25carr2190.jpg]

I'd prefer to see this guy

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
Reply/Quote

The thing I worry about is there are already a couple big names on it (Harrelson and Donald Glover) so I feel it would take the audience out of the movie
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 02:31 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'd prefer to see this guy

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

I wouldn't dare call that guy a nerf herder.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 05:35 PM)eoxyod Wrote: The thing I worry about is there are already a couple big names on it (Harrelson and Donald Glover) so I feel it would take the audience out of the movie

Harrelson being in it would probly be the only reason id watch it.
Reply/Quote