Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romo Retired
With one less QB in the picture, does the retirement of Romo put AJ McCarron one step closer to a trade. Thoughts.
Reply/Quote
No. Teams won't pay what Mike wants, and I don't think that changes with Romo gone. The teams in the market for Romo were the Broncos and Texans. I think the Broncos will stay with Siemien, who had a promising first season (3400 yards, 18 TDs, 84.6 rating). The Texans may look to the draft, but could be a player if it doesn't shake out in their favor.

McCarron isn't getting a 1st round pick no matter what though. I could maybe see a 2nd with some other pick thrown in if a team gets really desperate. I don't think Mike will give him up for such an offer though. Mike probably views McCarron as cheap (and good) insurance for Dalton, and a free compensatory pick later. We all know how much Mikey loves his compensatory picks.

You'd think he'd want to do right by McCarron though, considering how much of a loving and caring guy he supposedly is. Whatever
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Can't hurt his chances of being traded
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They should be calling the Texans and/or the Jags to see if they can get a 2nd round pick for him. They aren't tho.

Only way they can trade a player is if they quit on the team.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I don't think the teams that wanted Romo are the teams who would want AJ. The connections to Romo have been Houston and Denver. I am not sure AJ is much different then the QBs in either location currently. What we want are teams with no real long term prospects on their roster. The two that jump out are Cleveland, but also the Jets. I think the Jets are a seriously underrated option for AJ.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 02:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No. Teams won't pay what Mike wants, and I don't think that changes with Romo gone. The teams in the market for Romo were the Broncos and Texans. I think the Broncos will stay with Siemien, who had a promising first season (3400 yards, 18 TDs, 84.6 rating). The Texans may look to the draft, but could be a player if it doesn't shake out in their favor.

McCarron isn't getting a 1st round pick no matter what though. I could maybe see a 2nd with some other pick thrown in if a team gets really desperate. I don't think Mike will give him up for such an offer though. Mike probably views McCarron as cheap (and good) insurance for Dalton, and a free compensatory pick later. We all know how much Mikey loves his compensatory picks.

You'd think he'd want to do right by McCarron though, considering how much of a loving and caring guy he supposedly is.  Whatever

Would gladly take a second round pick with nothing added without hesitation. 

Maybe even a third and fifth from somebody drafting high. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I agree with Bengals management on this. If Bradford iS worth a 1. no way should we trade Mccarron for less than a 1 + 3 or 1 + a 2 if round 1 pick isn't high enough. Mccarron is much more valuable than many of you posters realize
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 02:27 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I agree with Bengals management on this. If Bradford iS worth a 1. no way should we trade Mccarron for less than a 1 + 3 or 1 + a 2 if round 1 pick isn't high enough. Mccarron is much more valuable than many of you posters realize

He is worth what the market says he is worth.
Reply/Quote
Although disagree with others and believe it does make him more tradable.

Maybe not drastically or to those teams particularly. But now they will be taking another QB off the draft boards that other teams may covet.

We could absolutely use another 2nd round pick this year of all years.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 02:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't think the teams that wanted Romo are the teams who would want AJ. The connections to Romo have been Houston and Denver. I am not sure AJ is much different then the QBs in either location currently. What we want are teams with no real long term prospects on their roster. The two that jump out are Cleveland, but also the Jets. I think the Jets are a seriously underrated option for AJ.

JETS just gave 6 million (6 MILLION!) guaranteed to McCown. No way they make a move now. They are out of the running.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 02:27 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I agree with Bengals management on this. If Bradford iS worth a 1. no way should we trade Mccarron for less than a 1 + 3 or 1 + a 2 if round 1 pick isn't high enough. Mccarron is much more valuable than many of you posters realize

Would have an orgasm if Bengals get a 1st and 2nd round pick for AJ. 

Hope you are correct sir.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 02:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: JETS just gave 6 million (6 MILLION!) guaranteed to McCown. No way they make a move now. They are out of the running.

It's a one year 6 million deal making him a well paid back up, but by no means a guaranteed starter (little more than Nick Foles is getting). Aj's deal is so small it wouldn't be cost prohibitive and now you have a vet back up for him. I'd argue that makes it a better situation as I think AJ still will benefit from an older veteran back up to lean on with questions.
Reply/Quote
Kevin Kolb got traded from Philly to Arizona for a 2nd round pick and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

I think Kolb is the most like McCarron out of recent QB trades.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 02:40 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Kevin Kolb got traded from Philly to Arizona for a 2nd round pick and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

I think Kolb is the most like McCarron out of recent QB trades.

Kolb had a little more tape, but you could make a fair comparison there. I think a 2nd is a fair deal. Holding out for a 1st is hoping for a Teddy Bridgewater situation in the preseason and the odds of that happening are pretty slim.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 02:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's a one year 6 million deal making him a well paid back up, but by no means a guaranteed starter (little more than Nick Foles is getting). Aj's deal is so small it wouldn't be cost prohibitive and now you have a vet back up for him. I'd argue that makes it a better situation as I think AJ still will benefit from an older veteran back up to lean on with questions.

I'm thinking whoever trades for McCarron has to pay him. Not sure JETS will after dishing out the guaranteed money to McCown.

But maybe I've been brainwashed following this team, and thinking about Mike Brown who wouldn't dare pay 2 qb's big guaranteed money.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 02:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm thinking whoever trades for McCarron has to pay him. Not sure JETS will after dishing out the guaranteed money to McCown.

But maybe I've been brainwashed following this team, and thinking about Mike Brown who wouldn't dare pay 2 qb's big guaranteed money.

They could structure it to take the bulk of the cap hit next year when McCowans hit comes off the book, so more extension rather than new contract. They could also give him a signing bonus now but not change his salary this  year and let the signing bonus pro rate across the remaining years of the contract. I think it actually fits well there, but you got to figure out what they are doing with the two crappy young QB's they have on the roster now.
Reply/Quote
Houston is built to win now. I don't think New England trades jimmy g to them to see him in the playoffs. If the top qbs are gone I could maybe see their 1 this year or 2 this year and 3 next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
First of all, thank God Romo is replacing Phil Simms at CBS. Simms says some of the dumbest stuff. Second, I think Macaroni stays a Bengal this year as backup. We need to prepare if Dalton goes down.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 02:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Although disagree with others and believe it does make him more tradable.

Maybe not drastically or to those teams particularly. But now they will be taking another QB off the draft boards that other teams may covet.

We could absolutely use another 2nd round pick this year of all years.

Right, this was my logic also. It at the very least may cause a ripple in the draft which may ultimately put a team in desperation mode.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2017, 02:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would gladly take a second round pick with nothing added without hesitation. 

Maybe even a third and fifth from somebody drafting high. 

Same here, but I'm guessing Mike is asking a kings ransom because Mac is cheap, controllable and could get a compensatory pick later. If this team wasn't coming off a 6 win season with an aging core, I'd agree with that approach.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote