Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ron Rivera as potential DC
(12-04-2019, 06:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's true, Nate.  The Bengals should be looking at men like Ron Rivera, and thinking to themselves "Wow, that guy's always been a winner, he got a raw deal do to injuries that he couldn't control.  We should reach out to him.".  However, let's not forget who our ownership and General Management team consists of, and the philosophies that they live by..

I know, just a dream. If i was the owner i would take Rivera over Taylor after this season in a heartbeat, just me.

I would already be on the phone, season is over for us anyways...
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 05:54 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I don't think he's gonna have to ruffle any feathers. I believe they are behind him 100%, and know that this season he wasn't ready with staff/players/FA's etc, they did the same with Marvin in his first year. Got him FA's that he wanted and for the next couple years to. They will do the same for Zac now that he's got his feet wet. Also how many coaches did Marvin have to hire to start his tenure? Not to many, then slowly he picked and chose his own. Big difference.

Yeah, but Marv actually won quite a few games his first few years. Zac has won 1.

Was all for Taylor but i have seen some bad calls from him and i just hope he is starting to find his nitch and we are gonna 
go on a tear next season after he gets the players he needs. Guess this is all we can hope and just hope MB and company
like you said are behind Zac 100% and lets him get the players he needs.

Gonna have to delve into FA though, have to. Big time.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 04:39 PM)depthchart Wrote: You are probably right.

He is a young man with a wife and family getting an NFL Head Coach paycheck so he may not want to risk his job by bracing up to Mike & Duke's Roster Plans.

Hopefully he can smooth talk for some of his own ideas versus the "ruffling" approach but it would be nice to see someone "ruffle" Mike towards a New approach to the point of causing countless wrinkles to be seen in Mike's suit right after the ruffling. Tongue

They seem to hire coaches with a certain personality type...
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 06:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's true, Nate.  The Bengals should be looking at men like Ron Rivera, and thinking to themselves "Wow, that guy's always been a winner, he got a raw deal do to injuries that he couldn't control.  We should reach out to him.".  However, let's not forget who our ownership and General Management team consists of, and the philosophies that they live by..

Wait. I thought injuries where excuses..... Confused

Excuses are for losers.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 07:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, but Marv actually won quite a few games his first few years. Zac has won 1.

Was all for Taylor but i have seen some bad calls from him and i just hope he is starting to find his nitch and we are gonna 
go on a tear next season after he gets the players he needs. Guess this is all we can hope and just hope MB and company
like you said are behind Zac 100% and lets him get the players he needs.

Gonna have to delve into FA though, have to. Big time.

I'm not making excuses for anyone, but as was noted earlier....Marvin didn't have to hire a staff in the middle of February (some good and bad in that), and the FO actually spent some coin on REAL FAs that off-season too. They did exactly jack shit this year.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 08:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm not making excuses for anyone, but as was noted earlier....Marvin didn't have to hire a staff in the middle of February (some good and bad in that), and the FO actually spent some coin on REAL FAs that off-season too. They did exactly jack shit this year.....

That is true, plus Taylor was in the Superbowl and couldn't start here as soon as all the other coaches.

He WAS put in a bad position.

Just hope he can gain a lot of knowledge from the losing season and get the guys he needs to make this team a contender
again. Like you said, the FO actually spent some coin on REAL FA's that time around and it paid off with a much better 
record. Need the FO to learn from the past for damn sake.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You just gotta think that teams like the Redskins, Jets, Browns, Bears and others would likely see him as a great HC option.

Is he really a great option? He's had something like 3 winning seasons in 9 years.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 08:58 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I'm not making excuses for anyone, but as was noted earlier....Marvin didn't have to hire a staff in the middle of February (some good and bad in that), and the FO actually spent some coin on REAL FAs that off-season too. They did exactly jack shit this year.....

Marvin was a highly regarded coach when he landed the job. He could fill out a staff because colleagues respected and believed in what he could do. I'd never heard of Zac Taylor til Marvin was fired, and as far as I can tell he got hired because he knows Sean McVey. Hard to get some legit coaches to work under you if deep down they feel they're better than you.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 09:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is true, plus Taylor was in the Superbowl and couldn't start here as soon as all the other coaches.

He WAS put in a bad position.

Just hope he can gain a lot of knowledge from the losing season and get the guys he needs to make this team a contender
again. Like you said, the FO actually spent some coin on REAL FA's that time around and it paid off with a much better 
record. Need the FO to learn from the past for damn sake.

True,

(12-04-2019, 11:49 PM)jason Wrote: Marvin was a highly regarded coach when he landed the job. He could fill out a staff because colleagues respected and believed in what he could do. I'd never heard of Zac Taylor til Marvin was fired, and as far as I can tell he got hired because he knows Sean McVey. Hard to get some legit coaches to work under you if deep down they feel they're better than you.

and true.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 11:44 PM)jason Wrote: Is he really a great option? He's had something like 3 winning seasons in 9 years.

Who cares?  He at least took his team to the Superbowl.  Were you even alive, the last time the Bengals were in the Superbowl?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hire him now and tell ZT to keep calling plays as OC. Or fire him, actually ya just fire him.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 12:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who cares?  He at least took his team to the Superbowl.  Were you even alive, the last time the Bengals were in the Superbowl?

Um... Yes. For both of em to be specific. He earned his nickname with an aggressive style. Carolina had a stout defense, and the MVP that year. It doesn't exactly take a masterful coach to guide that to the Super Bowl. All he had to do was not be a terrible coach. Bill Callahan took a team to the Super Bowl too. It took Jay Gruden smoking weed, and pushing up on college chicks on video for him to get another HC "shot". Don't get me wrong... Riverboat's an upgrade over Kitchens, and I don't think it's a stretch to the think he could have a HC job next year..I just don't think he's a home run hire.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Some team that needs a QB is going to hire him and go after Cam.

That'd be my guess. He's good enough to be a HC somewhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2019, 11:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Defense is playing alot better even if you try to look at from a glass half empty view. They played bad offenses earlier in the season too and those offense moved the ball fairly easily against the Bengals defense. Lately they are making stops, getting their hands on balls, and pressuring the QB it doesnt matter what ranked the offense is that is a good thing.

[Image: tenor.gif]

(12-04-2019, 02:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We're 1-11. The WORST record in the NFL.

In Dave Shula's rookie year, he won 5 games and lost another 5 by 7 points or less.

In the NFL, you either win or lose. You don't count close losses.

Plus, against the Bills and I believe Cards...we barely moved the ball in the 1st half. Terrible performances.

Agreed. Every losing team looks at close losses to feel better.

In truth, most NFL games are decided by 7 or fewer points.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Rivera deserves another HC gig. I'd like for him to be that in Cincinnati but DC (and maybe Cleveland and other locations) would be more appealing.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2019, 01:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif]

Agreed. Every losing team looks at close losses to feel better.

In truth, most NFL games are decided by 7 or fewer points.

Indeed. Dave Shula's 2nd season here where he lost 13 games...our losing margin through like 10 games was very similar. That team didn't get beat by 40 points every game.

Interestingly, the Dolphins were getting blown out early in the year and have 3 wins.
Reply/Quote
Or fire that 1 -15 jr high school kid and make Rivera HC
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2019, 02:34 PM)J24 Wrote: Rivera will be a head coach somewhere next season or he will get a fat check from ESPN then get a sweet coaching gig. Doubt  he would be a  coordinator anywhere.

He could potentially replace Zac then have lifetime job security under MB.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote