Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie Award
The AFC’s Defensive Rookie Player Of The Month is Jessie Bates! He was also named on PFF’s mid season All Pro list with a 83.8 grade. I just wanted to give props to this young player and to anyone involved with the pick. It says a lot when working with the LB’s that he’s done so well out of the gate.
Reply/Quote
He certainly has not disappointed.

Congrats to him !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Was super excited about this kid when we drafted him, and he’s living up to the hype.

Other than Dunlap, I think he’s been our most consistent player on defense so far this season.

Reply/Quote
Great news. He has definitely been a bright spot on a dark D.

Reply/Quote
Some good news on defense, great for him, great for us.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 01:08 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The AFC’s Defensive Rookie Player Of The Month is Jessie Bates! He was also named on PFF’s mid season All Pro list with a 83.8 grade. I just wanted to give props to this young player and to anyone involved with the pick. It says a lot when working with the LB’s that he’s done so well out of the gate.

Bates and Hubbard have been huge parts of this team's success.  
Reply/Quote
I had a strong feeling that Bates was going to be good, but I didn't expect him to become a rookie starter, let alone be a rookie standout.

Congrats to the War Room crew, for knocking that selection out of the park!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He leads the team in int's and I believe he leads in tackles too, not that you want a S to be your leading tackler.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 01:08 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The AFC’s Defensive Rookie Player Of The Month is Jessie Bates! He was also named on PFF’s mid season All Pro list with a 83.8 grade. I just wanted to give props to this young player and to anyone involved with the pick. It says a lot when working with the LB’s that he’s done so well out of the gate.

Those of us who touted Bates leading up to the draft, go ahead and pat yourselves on the back!  :andy:
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 09:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Bates and Hubbard have been huge parts of this team's success.  

Agree and who would have thought we could add 2 solid players to defense yet still be struggling ?  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:03 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and who would have thought we could add 2 solid players to defense yet still be struggling ?  

I think we are much better than we display. We have some good players with great talent which seem to be in the wrong places at the wrong times and failing to execute. A lot of this can be put on coaching but not all of it. One good thing is rookies getting some playing time and some chances to display their talents and grow better each week. This team is very tough on fans. It's tough to sway either way weather they are a boom or bust this season. But Bates and Hubbard surely are a bright spot.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think we are much better than we display. We have some good players with great talent which seem to be in the wrong places at the wrong times and failing to execute. A lot of this can be put on coaching but not all of it. One good thing is rookies getting some playing time and some chances to display their talents and grow better each week. This team is very tough on fans. It's tough to sway either way weather they are a boom or bust this season. But Bates and Hubbard surely are a bright spot.

I agree with this - except for the linebacker room, and there is even potential for a significant improvement there if they can get healthy and Burfict can keep his head out of his backside.

The biggest problem besides the LBs is the confusion in the defensive backfield.   I think it's a combination of rookies and a new defensive scheme - plus injuries.

Hopefully they solve some of those issues in the 2nd half.
Reply/Quote
Yep. Congrats to Jessie for sure.
Reply/Quote
Bates has played more snaps (607) than anyone on the team. Kirkpatrick has played the second most (558) and he has almost 50 fewer than Jessie
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 09:27 AM)McC Wrote: He leads the team in int's and I believe he leads in tackles too, not that you want a S to be your leading tackler.

Bates leads the team with 60 tackles, but Vigil had 51 in just 6 games.

Shawn Williams is third with 45, so 2 of our top 3 tacklers are safties.
Reply/Quote

Bates looks like a good one. You knew from his scouting report that he'd be good in coverage, but his tackling in the run game has been solid. That was the one area coming out of college that you could question.

Fej grades really high at PFF too. I kid you not, he was grading out as an Elite Safety up until recently when he had too few snaps to qualify.

Really Quickly:

Williams 63.3 - Above Average #57 S
Bates 83.8 - High Quality #4 Safety
Fej 91.0 - Elite - But not enough snaps to qualify anymore. He was something like the #2, 3 safety when I looked several weeks back.

So between Bates and Fej...we could have 2 Top 5 Safeties out there.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bates leads the team with 60 tackles, but Vigil had 51 in just 6 games.

Meanwhile, we're paying Preston Brown 10M to average 5.5 tackles per game..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bates leads the team with 60 tackles, but Vigil had 51 in just 6 games.

We need Vigil back.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 01:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meanwhile, we're paying Preston Brown 10M to average 5.5 tackles per game..

Browns not a bad LB...but he's more suited for the NFL like 10 years ago. I think Burfict is too in some ways.

We need to go with Big LB's who can rush the passer Outside and then inside athletic guys who can run and cover TE's and drop into Zone and occasionally deflect passes.

We've drafted A LOT of LB's over the years in Rounds 3, 4, 5, etc. I think it would be interesting to analyze them.
Reply/Quote

I wanted to draft Bates and when we did i thought he would be a great player for us down the road once he got better
at tackling but damn, dude has been great right out of the gate even at tackling. He has saved our asses a couple times.

Seems to be a born leader and a great man off the field as well.

Congrats to Jessie Bates III. Awesome player, i think he will be better than Reggie for us. Cool
Reply/Quote