Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie Award
(11-02-2018, 06:43 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: There are nice pieces on D for the future, I like Glasgow too. They really need to get some better talent at LB in the draft.

For sure, need to grab a LB early. TE is deep and think we can get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd.

(11-02-2018, 06:50 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I had no idea that Fej rated that high, the D can’t be that far off from being good. Someone posted that they blitz less than any other team, not sure if that snowballs some or not.

Didn't know Fej was rated that high either, impressive but as we all know we can't put tons of stock in PFF.

Still think Fej is better than Shawn, or atleast will be.

(11-02-2018, 06:53 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Let’s hope! It’s just nice to see and few silver linings on the D, it means that there are some nice building blocks in place.

Yeah, lots of young talent, like i keep saying it is the coaching that leaves lots to be desired at this point.

The young guys should only get better regardless though.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 07:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For sure, need to grab a LB early. TE is deep and think we can get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd.

Didn't know Fej was rated that high either, impressive but as we all know we can't put tons of stock in PFF.

Still think Fej is better than Shawn, or atleast will be.

Yeah, lots of young talent, like i keep saying it is the coaching that leaves lots to be desired at this point.

The young guys should only get better regardless though.

The coaching obviously should be questioned. If Glasgow can come back next year and be solid, the line should be good. Are they 2 LB’s away or do they need another corner too? Is the D more of a depth issue?
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 05:28 PM)McC Wrote: From a guy who played the position and came up as a LB Coach.  How is this possible?

Possibly for the same reason pitching went downhill for Reds when Price was manager instead of pitching coach...he’s not the one actually working with them to develop them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So we have 2 all-time Bengals greats on the d-line, Burfict and Brown (who really isn't bad) at LB, 2 safeties that are grading out as "excellent", and our defense is near dead last in every category other than turnovers? Sure hope we come out of the BYE with some major changes in mind.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think we are much better than we display. We have some good players with great talent which seem to be in the wrong places at the wrong times and failing to execute. A lot of this can be put on coaching but not all of it. One good thing is rookies getting some playing time and some chances to display their talents and grow better each week. This team is very tough on fans. It's tough to sway either way weather they are a boom or bust this season. But Bates and Hubbard surely are a bright spot.

Agree 100%

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 09:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So we have 2 all-time Bengals greats on the d-line, Burfict and Brown (who really isn't bad) at LB, 2 safeties that are grading out as "excellent", and our defense is near dead last in every category other than turnovers? Sure hope we come out of the BYE with some major changes in mind.

I can do a deep dive on the rankings of the defense when I get some time...if people would like.

Basically though...the ratings overall are better than the results.

I think it's more than playcalling. I think it's the overall scheme that we play and philosophy. I think some players may not understand their assignments...and then a bunch of missed tackles on top of that.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 11:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I can do a deep dive on the rankings of the defense when I get some time...if people would like.

I think it's more than playcalling. I think it's the overall scheme that we play and philosophy. I think some players may not understand their assignments...and then a bunch of missed tackles on top of that.

You have to wonder given all the plays you see with the blown coverages and missed assignments from the backers and secondary if there isn't a lot of friction about just exactly what the D's overall philosophy is ?

I mean is the LBer coach saying "this", and the DB coach saying "that", and the DC saying something else, and the HC throwing his hat in on top of it all ?

There seems to be much confusion on who's doing what. Dis jointed
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 11:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I can do a deep dive on the rankings of the defense when I get some time...if people would like.

I think it's more than playcalling. I think it's the overall scheme that we play and philosophy. I think some players may not understand their assignments...and then a bunch of missed tackles on top of that.

There's where I'd put 90% of it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is awesome news, I LOVE that NOT ALL ROOKIES need more than 2 years to stand out and make an impact... (unlike Ross).
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 07:10 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The coaching obviously should be questioned. If Glasgow can come back next year and be solid, the line should be good. Are they 2 LB’s away or do they need another corner too? Is the D more of a depth issue?

I think we have 3 LB's with upside, Vigil, Evans and Malik so i think we could add 1 athletic, good tackling cover
backer and we could be good. But first of all we need a LB coach that knows what the hell he is doing.

Ever since Haslett has been here our LB's seem to be out of position and not tackling like they should.

(11-02-2018, 09:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So we have 2 all-time Bengals greats on the d-line, Burfict and Brown (who really isn't bad) at LB, 2 safeties that are grading out as "excellent", and our defense is near dead last in every category other than turnovers? Sure hope we come out of the BYE with some major changes in mind.

Yeah, i know. We have good players, it is coaching that is the problem.

When you get some time i would love to see that analysis Pistons.

I honestly think the coaches, namely Austin need to make things less complicated.

Bates is a smart dude being able to catch onto this D quicker than these veterans.
Reply/Quote
Anybody remember how we started Burfict at WLB? Now that he is bigger than the empire state building, guess we're using him to eat up blocks.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 01:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We need Vigil back.

We need Zimmer back.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 04:44 PM)jason Wrote: We need Zimmer back.

That would be too sweet.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 04:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That would be too sweet.

I've got some metformin for that if ya need it ?
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 04:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That would be too sweet.

Zimmer came, did his thing and got his quick promotion to Head Coachhood.  I was hoping he was the one to replace Marvin as HC. :andy: One of the few coaches that came and left his mark, a good mark.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 07:06 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Zimmer came, did his thing and got his quick promotion to Head Coachhood.  I was hoping he was the one to replace Marvin as HC. :andy: One of the few coaches that came and left his mark, a good mark.

Agreed. He left a good mark. Unfortunately, every coch does. Yet, marks left by others resemble skidmarks.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 02:32 PM)treee Wrote: Anybody remember how we started Burfict at WLB? Now that he is bigger than the empire state building, guess we're using him to eat up blocks.

Burfict is slimmer than he was last year...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:03 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and who would have thought we could add 2 solid players to defense yet still be struggling ?  

Even more damning evidence on Austin?
Reply/Quote