Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rookie Impressions Week 2 Preseason 2023
Last night was interesting but kind of boring. I don't know how much positives can be taken away but I think some of the negatives are starting to show.

Myles Murphy - made a few plays chasing down running backs but looked slow on the perimeter. I don't know if this is effort, he plays with a motor but doesn't seem to follow through sometimes.

Charlie Jones - looks a little undersized but I could see him become important to the offense.

Iosivas - went from potential star to possibly not making the team. I don't know if he can make the gritty catches outside of highlight plays/drag routes. Second game with high volume, low production.

Battle - I don't see negatives? Didn't pay too much attention.

DJ Turner - Makes a LOT of plays, sometimes gets burned. This could become more pronounced in the regular season.

DJ Ivey - didn't see him play.

Jackson - don't know who this is but was impressed. Might make the team.

All in all, the QB situation made it difficult to really understand what is going on on offense. Iosivas needs to show he can make NFL catches, at this point he might be a liability in non-situational plays but could open up the offense if Burrow can get him open. It all depends on what the team is looking for in a fourth/fifth option. Jackson might honestly be the answer.

Two preseasons ago, Billy Price looked like a future all-pro. Its easier to look good in college but NFL teams know how to exploit weaknesses. I don't think a lot of the rookies have been tested yet. But Battle and Turner are making a lot of plays that I think a lot of teams would be happy to have. Murphy needs to be tested more, he shows promise but lacks urgency.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 04:19 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Last night was interesting but kind of boring. I don't know how much positives can be taken away but I think some of the negatives are starting to show.

Myles Murphy - made a few plays chasing down running backs but looked slow on the perimeter. I don't know if this is effort, he plays with a motor but doesn't seem to follow through sometimes.

I thought someone said Murphy wasn't even at the game due to illness?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 04:22 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I thought someone said Murphy wasn't even at the game due to illness?  

Yeah Myles Murphy didn’t play due to an illness so not sure who he’s referring to…
Reply/Quote
Murphy didn’t make the trip, think they said he had an illness.
Reply/Quote
This begs the question who did OP think was Myles Murphy last night? MM didn't even make the trip.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 04:47 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: This begs the question who did OP think was Myles Murphy last night?  MM didn't even make the trip.

(08-19-2023, 04:19 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Battle - I don't see negatives? Didn't pay too much attention.

Or if the OP even watched the game. Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 04:51 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Or if the OP even watched the game.   Tongue

Imagine making a thread reviewing the players but saying you didn't watch half and 1 didn't actually even play lol And somehow 1 went from a possible star to not making the team. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 04:51 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Or if the OP even watched the game.   Tongue

Wondering the same thing. Didn't have any of the impressions that the OP had from last nights game...
Reply/Quote
On the bright side, if he wasn’t even in Atlanta, he’s got incredible pursuit.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 05:08 PM)TheFan Wrote: Imagine making a thread reviewing the players but saying you didn't watch half and 1 didn't actually even play lol And somehow 1 went from a possible star to not making the team. 

Well from what I saw, Burrow looked terrible as well, just missing wide open reads and throwing the ball at the Falcons mascot. I think we may need to roll with Akili Smith in week 1.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:08 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: Well from what I saw, Burrow looked terrible as well, just missing wide open reads and throwing the ball at the Falcons mascot. I think we may need to roll with Akili Smith in week 1.

Thaddeus Moss looked great at TE though.  I think since he and Burrow played together at LSU and he is the son of Randy Moss he has a chance to be a Pro Bowl player.  Not sure because I didn't really watch some of the game. Wait what game?  Preseason.?  Where am I ?    Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 04:19 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Last night was interesting but kind of boring. I don't know how much positives can be taken away but I think some of the negatives are starting to show.

Charlie Jones - looks a little undersized but I could see him become important to the offense.

Iosivas - went from potential star to possibly not making the team. I don't know if he can make the gritty catches outside of highlight plays/drag routes. Second game with high volume, low production.

Battle - I don't see negatives? Didn't pay too much attention.

DJ Turner - Makes a LOT of plays, sometimes gets burned. This could become more pronounced in the regular season.

Jackson - don't know who this is but was impressed. Might make the team.

All in all, the QB situation made it difficult to really understand what is going on on offense. Iosivas needs to show he can make NFL catches, at this point he might be a liability in non-situational plays but could open up the offense if Burrow can get him open. It all depends on what the team is looking for in a fourth/fifth option. Jackson might honestly be the answer.

Two preseasons ago, Billy Price looked like a future all-pro. Its easier to look good in college but NFL teams know how to exploit weaknesses. I don't think a lot of the rookies have been tested yet. But Battle and Turner are making a lot of plays that I think a lot of teams would be happy to have. Murphy needs to be tested more, he shows promise but lacks urgency.

Pretty hard to assess any of the pass catchers when the guys throwing them the ball aren't good. JB makes all of the pass catchers better. The ball is actually on time and in stride when he's throwing it. He gets production out of a guy like Irwin, he's going to get production from Yoshi.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:20 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Pretty hard to assess any of the pass catchers when the guys throwing them the ball aren't good. JB makes all of the pass catchers better. The ball is actually on time and in stride when he's throwing it. He gets production out of a guy like Irwin, he's going to get production from Yoshi.  

Irwin has looked good this preseason with his limited playing time. Just saying I think he's more talented than we give him credit for.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:08 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: Well from what I saw, Burrow looked terrible as well, just missing wide open reads and throwing the ball at the Falcons mascot. I think we may need to roll with Akili Smith in week 1.

If we bring back Akili, Cappa's gonna have to learn how to hike the ball.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:02 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: On the bright side, if he wasn’t even in Atlanta, he’s got incredible pursuit.

Why Kijana?  I just spit my drink all over my keyboard.....

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:25 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Irwin has looked good this preseason with his limited playing time. Just saying I think he's more talented than we give him credit for.

Agree I think Irwin will still be on the team and should be.  He did nothing but step up last year when he was needed.  He averaged 15 yards a reception and was a red zone target with 4 TDs in 23 targets.  He also had 12 first downs in those 23 targets.  He just does what is needed when needed.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/I/IrwiTr00.htm

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:25 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Irwin has looked good this preseason with his limited playing time. Just saying I think he's more talented than we give him credit for.

Agree! Isn't intended to be a knock on TI. He works his tail off. However, when comparing measurables to a guy like Yoshi it shouldn't be close. The rook will look better and play better when JB is the QB. That's all I'm saying. It's a very easy statement for me to lean on. They all look better when JB is the QB.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 07:06 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Agree! Isn't intended to be a knock on TI. He works his tail off. However, when comparing measurables to a guy like Yoshi it shouldn't be close. The rook will look better and play better when JB is the QB. That's all I'm saying. It's a very easy statement for me to lean on. They all look better when JB is the QB.

Iosivas has looked alright out there but nothing great and this is going up against 2nd and 3rd stringers.  Irwin in his limited time looks much better.
Reply/Quote

Only if Akili is throwing to Darnay Scott
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 06:17 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Thaddeus Moss looked great at TE though.  I think since he and Burrow played together at LSU and he is the son of Randy Moss he has a chance to be a Pro Bowl player.  Not sure because I didn't really watch some of the game. Wait what game?  Preseason.?  Where am I ?    Tongue

I thought John Ross made a big improvement over last week. Sharp routes, quick and sticky sticky hands.  ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote