Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie Minicamp Article
In typical Geoff Hobson tradition, he let's us know that the new prospects look like potential All-World players. Ninja

Once you get past the obligatory fluff of the new guys, the article focuses on OL coach Jim Turner, and has some decent feedback from Michael Jordan and Jonah Williams.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-line-up-the-rookies

Quote:So it’s a chance to watch one of Taylor’s key assistant coaches in Turner, the demanding ex-Marine, go to work deploying his technique with two draft picks (Williams and the fourth-rounder Jordan) and two college free agents, one of whom played for Turner last season at Texas A&M, the 6-5, 316-pound Keaton Sutherland. The other, massive 6-4, 330-pound guard-tackle O’Shea Dugas of Louisiana Tech, had the longest wingspan among the draft’s offensive lineman.

But even though Turner likes them big, he plays small ball. He wants even the tiniest step choreographed into his scheme and he’ll chew you out if it’s not. That’s OK with Williams and Jordan.

“I like him. There’s a right way and a wrong way to do it and make sure you do it the right way,” said Williams , whose first-round grade was beefed up by his NFL-like rituals at Alabama, “I think it’s a good mentality to have on the O-line, where it’s so precise and it comes down to inches. I like how exact he is.”

Jordan heard Turner’s wrath when he didn’t have his foot on a line to begin a drill designed to mimic the steps in a run play. And this sharp reminder: “No tippy toes. Always flat feet.”

“Coach Turner isn’t going to blow smoke up your butt or anything,” Jordan said. “He’s told us how it is and we just have to live up to the high standards he’s setting for us.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Kind of surprised that no one has had any thoughts to express. Personally, I find the insight into Turner to be quite refreshing. When he was hired, many on here acted like the sky had fallen, and this was likely the worst choice that Zac Taylor could have made. However, from what I've read about Turner, he's very detail oriented and a firm believer in trusting the plan and learning to execute it to perfection.

The fact that our new OL prospects seem to buy into what Turner is selling, reassures me that Taylor did the right thing, in bringing in his guy to coach the OL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The biggest failure of last year's line was in fundamental footwork. I'm all for any coach who will focus on that and all for any lineman who gets it.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I am not a believer and Turner quite yet it's going to take some time.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 02:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am not a believer and Turner quite yet it's going to take some time.

Fair enough.  Prior to the bullying scandal, I thought he was building a good OL with the Dolphins.  They played hard and aggressive, and were definitely identifiable as a run-first team, during that time period.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I also read the part where he wants to play Jonah at LT and Jordan at LG for at least two weeks to learn the whole system from one position and then once you know the system you can move around. Makes sense to me and seems he has a plan for these guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 02:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fair enough.  Prior to the bullying scandal, I thought he was building a good OL with the Dolphins.  They played hard and aggressive, and were definitely identifiable as a run-first team, during that time period.

I'd rather have the guy who can learn from his mistakes, than the guy who hasn't made the mistake yet. 

Of course, the guy that won't make the mistake is preferred but those guys are usually already gainfully employed. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 07:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What article were you reading, take your Hobson bias glasses off for once...  :paul:

I clearly mentioned the obligatory Hobson fluff, before I said a word about any actual content.  How more unbiased can I be?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 01:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Kind of surprised that no one has had any thoughts to express.  Personally, I find the insight into Turner to be quite refreshing.  When he was hired, many on here acted like the sky had fallen, and this was likely the worst choice that Zac Taylor could have made.  However, from what I've read about Turner, he's very detail oriented and a firm believer in trusting the plan and learning to execute it to perfection.

The fact that our new OL prospects seem to buy into what Turner is selling, reassures me that Taylor did the right thing, in bringing in his guy to coach the OL.

I think it's great that he's going to make them do things right.

Not sure that chewing them out constantly is going to work long-term though. We'll see. Guys typically seem to tire of that.

I'd be interested in hearing more about his scheme.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 06:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd rather have the guy who can learn from his mistakes, than the guy who hasn't made the mistake yet. 

Of course, the guy that won't make the mistake is preferred but those guys are usually already gainfully employed. 

Yeah...well he made a sexist remark about women at Texas A&M and got in trouble there too.

https://phinphanatic.com/2016/07/30/former-dolphins-jim-turner-suspended-by-texas-am/

I have to believe that we were probably the only NFL Team that would hire this guy. IF not the only, I can't imagine that there would be more than a few.
Reply/Quote
Interesting that mini-camp is watered down. They aren't even doing 11 on 11. Not that I think it matters much as they aren't wearing pads and hitting, but still not sure if I like this.

Remember your father’s rookie minicamp of three days and five practices complete with team periods? This isn’t even your twin’s rookie minicamp. Only two practices for the draft picks. No 11-on-11. On Saturday morning the picks are going to be weightlifting while the college free agents and try-out players go through basically a personnel session. And that’s it, kids. Home for Mother’s Day.

In an obvious attempt to cut down on needless injury, Taylor is mirroring a transition throughout the league best exemplified by Jets head coach Adam Gase simply turning the rookie minicamp into an orientation weekend.

“I think what you saw ten years ago was the full three days, two-a-days, all that stuff,” Taylor said after the first workout “You’re doing 11-on-11 and getting your money’s worth. Some teams have gone the other way. We’re kind of in between. Just find that balance. You won’t see any 11-on-11, but it’s more than a tryout.”
Reply/Quote
I'll be just happy if at least one pans out. (draftees)
Reply/Quote
My problem with Turner is personal. If he can get this line playing great, then good for us.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 08:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting that mini-camp is watered down. They aren't even doing 11 on 11. Not that I think it matters much as they aren't wearing pads and hitting, but still not sure if I like this.

Remember your father’s rookie minicamp of three days and five practices complete with team periods? This isn’t even your twin’s rookie minicamp. Only two practices for the draft picks. No 11-on-11. On Saturday morning the picks are going to be weightlifting while the college free agents and try-out players go through basically a personnel session. And that’s it, kids. Home for Mother’s Day.

In an obvious attempt to cut down on needless injury, Taylor is mirroring a transition throughout the league best exemplified by Jets head coach Adam Gase simply turning the rookie minicamp into an orientation weekend.

“I think what you saw ten years ago was the full three days, two-a-days, all that stuff,” Taylor said after the first workout “You’re doing 11-on-11 and getting your money’s worth. Some teams have gone the other way. We’re kind of in between. Just find that balance. You won’t see any 11-on-11, but it’s more than a tryout.”
I don't see a problem with this. Most teams have gone to doing this. I don't think coaches would see alot from these guys in 11 on 11. They would be thinking to much.
Reply/Quote
I have no issue with Turner. I tried pretty hard to allow the butthurt he caused people to cause me to feel some too, but it never picked up any steam in my emotional core. I guess I would've had to be the direct victim to actually feel it. One thing I do know, if we were to only allow perfect people who have never said or done anything to hurt or offend someone to have careers, society would probably implode. There would be very few job positions actually filled and real life production would halt.

Love how the players talk about him. Williams called him a great guy and great coach in his video interview. It seems to me that 99.5% of the players he's coached feel that way. He may be exactly what this OL has needed.
Reply/Quote
Turner is all about discipline, which is what this team needs in a bad way. I don’t care too much about his past or what he even does outside the stadium. He has a hard nosed personality and also a humorous one. When you mix the two, sometimes people get their feelings hurt unintentionally. Not saying I commend his actions or even support them, just sayin I understand them. For those of you who find humor in most things and even spout off something you find funny or clever (even when your brain says not to) then you have found yourself in similar situations (just not all the press coverage to go with it). Just sayin I get it.

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 08:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...well he made a sexist remark about women at Texas A&M and got in trouble there too.

https://phinphanatic.com/2016/07/30/former-dolphins-jim-turner-suspended-by-texas-am/

I have to believe that we were probably the only NFL Team that would hire this guy. IF not the only, I can't imagine that there would be more than a few.

I'll get bashed for this but who cares.  It's not Zack Taylor or the Bengals job to instill morals in society through their football team.  It's the NFL, these guys get paid to win football games of which the public pay to see.  If I'm paying I want to see wins.  Get the best people to help do that.  
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 09:16 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Turner is all about discipline, which is what this team needs in a bad way. I don’t care too much about his past or what he even does outside the stadium. He has a hard nosed personality and also a humorous one. When you mix the two, sometimes people get their feelings hurt unintentionally. Not saying I commend his actions or even support them, just sayin I understand them. For those of you who find humor in most things and even spout off something you find funny or clever (even when your brain says not to) then you have found yourself in similar situations (just not all the press coverage to go with it). Just sayin I get it.

This is about where I stand on the issues of his past.  We didn't get a vote in who was going to be the OL coach, but here he is.  So now, all I care about is him building the best OL that this team can have.  If you remember anything about the Dolphins during that time he was their OL coach, they played stout and aggressive, drove people off the ball.  Execution on running plays, screens, etc. seemed to be very well orchestrated.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of people here are actually cool with bullying and sexist remarks. They just can't admit it.
Reply/Quote
Yea. Maybe it is the opposite of what we are used to. Instead of giving second chances to some players, we are doing it with a coach, with some high character players. If he can get this set of players to play really tough, it might work. It's not like some of those lineman in Miami didn't have issues themselves. Our guys hopefully aren't like that.
Reply/Quote