Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie Minicamp Article
(05-12-2019, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think a lot of people here are actually cool with bullying and sexist remarks. They just can't admit it.

I’m thinking you don’t give a lot of people credit. For myself, not into bullying at all. However, if laughing at a sexist joke I read makes me a bad guy, then yes, I’m one of the guilty ones. People are too thin skinned these days. People should learn to laugh at themselves more often and embrace their imperfections. I have flaws and family and friends call me out on them all the time in humor. But I guess that’s just the way we are and not all are the same. These are the people I love being surrounded by in both work and home life.

I understand what your saying tho.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think a lot of people here are actually cool with bullying and sexist remarks.  They just can't admit it.

So, as a defense attorney, you're not in favor of a guy moving past his mistakes, and having the opportunity to do his chosen profession?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 10:22 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I’m thinking you don’t give a lot of people credit. For myself, not into bullying at all. However, if laughing at a sexist joke I read makes me a bad guy, then yes, I’m one of the guilty ones. People are too thin skinned these days. People should learn to laugh at themselves more often and embrace their imperfections. I have flaws and family and friends call me out on them all the time in humor. But I guess that’s just the way we are and not all are the same. These are the people I love being surrounded by in both work and home life.

I understand what your saying tho.

This is the part of this mindset that baffles me the most.  Back in the good ol' days you couldn't show a married couple in the same bed, couldn't show a toilet on TV or an album cover, say the word pregnant, or show Elvis' swiveling hips for fear of mass-hysteria.  But yes, now people are super offended about stuff.

Hell, when I was a kid Mortal Kombat, the Simpsons, and Beavis & Butthead were going to usher in the apocalypse.  People have always been thin-skinned.  With that being said, Jim Turner is a jackass and if the Steelers hired him we'd be laughing at what filthy jerks they are.  I hope he's good at his job here, because he sure hain't winning any personality points.
Reply/Quote
I'm ok with Turner for now, but the moment he implodes and shoots off his mouth at the wrong time it could blow up in Zac's face big time. I really hope it doesn't happen. All the former Marine stuff doesn't mean much to me. I grew up with a former Marine myself, my dad. Some of that Marine discipline stuff can really screw with a young man's head especially when some of the discipline nonsense is for the sake of discipline. I dunno..stuff like having to have shoes shined till you puke, having to have your bed made to perfection every morning... No thanks..I lived it for many years to the point that I didn't make my bed right in boot camp on purpose.. lol
I'm not saying these guys will have to put up with all that "daddy discipline" nonsense. They're grown men after all. I can almost hear my long gone mother cringe at the thought..  Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 10:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This is the part of this mindset that baffles me the most.  Back in the good ol' days you couldn't show a married couple in the same bed, couldn't show a toilet on TV or an album cover, say the word pregnant, or show Elvis' swiveling hips for fear of mass-hysteria.  But yes, now people are super offended about stuff.

Hell, when I was a kid Mortal Kombat, the Simpsons, and Beavis & Butthead were going to usher in the apocalypse.  People have always been thin-skinned.  With that being said, Jim Turner is a jackass and if the Steelers hired him we'd be laughing at what filthy jerks they are.  I hope he's good at his job here, because he sure hain't winning any personality points.

Back then, you wouldn't see a sportscaster lose his job because he made a joke about Elvis' hip-swiveling or Mortal Kombat. That's the difference between today's thin skin and yesteryear's.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I clearly mentioned the obligatory Hobson fluff, before I said a word about any actual content.  How more unbiased can I be?

my point is, it was not fluff.. he made accurate statements about both lineman.. was not like he was they were going to be all pros etc.. the article was a simple to the point article and you made it out to be about Hobson since you seem bias about his writing
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 10:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This is the part of this mindset that baffles me the most.  Back in the good ol' days you couldn't show a married couple in the same bed, couldn't show a toilet on TV or an album cover, say the word pregnant, or show Elvis' swiveling hips for fear of mass-hysteria.  But yes, now people are super offended about stuff.

See that's where I had a problem with the Turner hire.

The new head coach and the front office preach that they want high character people for this team yet hire this jackass.

If they want to hire the guy then so be it...  but just don't spew this BS and expect for us to believe you after this move .

Double-standard and hypocrisy in this case.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 09:34 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I'll get bashed for this but who cares.  It's not Zack Taylor or the Bengals job to instill morals in society through their football team.  It's the NFL, these guys get paid to win football games of which the public pay to see.  If I'm paying I want to see wins.  Get the best people to help do that.  

I don't know that we can stay that Turner is the best coach to help the line. I think they are just familiar with each other.

Taylor actually tried to hire Turner as the RB coach at the U of Cincy but Turner went to Texas A&M instead.
Reply/Quote
If I remember correctly Turner was one of Taylor's 1st hires. Apparently he believes in him.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 06:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Back then, you wouldn't see a sportscaster lose his job because he made a joke about Elvis' hip-swiveling or Mortal Kombat. That's the difference between today's thin skin and yesteryear's.

You do realize people lost their jobs because of things they said and did and even didn't say or didn't do back then?  Look up the term "blacklisting."
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 10:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You do realize people lost their jobs because of things they said and did and even didn't say or didn't do back then?  Look up the term "blacklisting."

There's definitely a difference between today and long ago, but I'll just agree to disagree before this thread gets shipped to PnR.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 06:42 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I have no issue with Turner. I tried pretty hard to allow the butthurt he caused people to cause me to feel some too, but it never picked up any steam in my emotional core. I guess I would've had to be the direct victim to actually feel it. One thing I do know, if we were to only allow perfect people who have never said or done anything to hurt or offend someone to have careers, society would probably implode. There would be very few job positions actually filled and real life production would halt.

Love how the players talk about him. Williams called him a great guy and great coach in his video interview. It seems to me that 99.5% of the players he's coached feel that way. He may be exactly what this OL has needed.

People today live to be offended. Would I want him dating my daughter, absolutely not.... do I want him coaching my team's Oline, absolutely. The meaner the better.... you know, we had an elegant, well spoken, non-offensive piano playing Oline coach here.... no one liked him.
Reply/Quote
I guess I haven't really kept up with the UCFA signings, but it appears we have signed some major beef for this line. Now if he can teach them to play.....
Reply/Quote
You really have to wonder if Turner, the disciplinarian is personally exempt from all the ballyhooed discipline he's supposed to instill in our O-line.. 
For someone who's supposed to have such a high rating in discipline he seems to be lacking in it himself.. Odd how that works, huh? 
Personally I hope he's ultimately successful in Cincinnati, but in no way am I buying into this so called discipline.. If he's going to set by example he better learn to reign in his own loose tongue. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 10:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In typical Geoff Hobson tradition, he let's us know that the new prospects look like potential All-World players. Ninja

Once you get past the obligatory fluff of the new guys, the article focuses on OL coach Jim Turner, and has some decent feedback from Michael Jordan and Jonah Williams.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-line-up-the-rookies

After watching the Bowl game last year and now hearing this i am warming up to Turner. Sutherland had some nice blocks in that Bowl game too against the NC State front. He opened up some nice holes for Traveon who i think is a great talent. Liking how Turner is holding his guys to very high standards. Need discipline, PA was a fluff ball.

BTW Sunset, congrats on moving past the 100,000 rep point mark brother!
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2019, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I think a lot of people here are actually cool with bullying and sexist remarks.  They just can't admit it.

"Locker room talk" 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 08:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it's great that he's going to make them do things right.

Not sure that chewing them out constantly is going to work long-term though. We'll see. Guys typically seem to tire of that.

I'd be interested in hearing more about his scheme.

Tiger I don't know, seemed to work for Zimmer's defense...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 07:19 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger I don't know, seemed to work for Zimmer's defense...

Agree, if delivered appropriately, "hard coaching" can be very effective.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 01:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Kind of surprised that no one has had any thoughts to express.  Personally, I find the insight into Turner to be quite refreshing.  When he was hired, many on here acted like the sky had fallen, and this was likely the worst choice that Zac Taylor could have made.  However, from what I've read about Turner, he's very detail oriented and a firm believer in trusting the plan and learning to execute it to perfection.

The fact that our new OL prospects seem to buy into what Turner is selling, reassures me that Taylor did the right thing, in bringing in his guy to coach the OL.

turners biggest problem...  Was that martin couldn't handled it mentally.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 10:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: You really have to wonder if Turner, the disciplinarian is personally exempt from all the ballyhooed discipline he's supposed to instill in our O-line.. 
For someone who's supposed to have such a high rating in discipline he seems to be lacking in it himself.. Odd how that works, huh? 
Personally I hope he's ultimately successful in Cincinnati, but in no way am I buying into this so called discipline.. If he's going to set by example he better learn to reign in his own loose tongue. 

if you cant take a tongue lassen....    you have no place in the NFL
Reply/Quote