Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie snap counts after 5 weeks
One of the big things that helped the Chiefs get back to and win the Super Bowl last year was their great contributions from their rookie class.
They had a lot of talent leave in FA and needed multiple rookies to step in and impact right away.

With that in mind, let's see how the rookies for the Bengals are doing through ~1/3 of the way through the regular season:
Murphy - 20% of defensive snaps, 21% ST snaps
Turner - 53% of defensive snaps, 37% ST snaps
Battle - 16% of defensive snaps, 70% ST snaps
Jones - 1% of offensive snaps, 13% ST snaps
Brown - 1% of offensive snaps, 34% ST snaps
Iosivas - 14% of offensive snaps, 63% ST snaps
Robbins - 33% ST snaps
Ivey - 0.3% defensive snaps, 9% ST snaps

When it comes to playing time, Turner, Battle, and Iosivas are getting the most snaps percentage-wise.
Jones and Robbins are doing their roles on ST.

Turner is about the only one playing significant snaps on O/D, although Battle might be getting more opportunity here soon.

I would say least impactful for the investment right now is Murphy, but he's been buried on the depth chart.
I'd like to see him get more opportunity over Sample and/or Ossai if they don't start having more of an impact by midseason.

*Tangent*
Right now, the Bengals are tied for 8th in the NFL with 15.0 sacks. Leader is BUF with 21.0 sacks.
Hendrickson is Top 5 in sacks with 6.0.
Hill is quietly on pace to have 8+ sacks on the season (currently 2.5)
Hubbard on track for his typical 6-8.
No other DL is quite closing the deal, as only Murphy and Reader have sacks on the DL, and they have just 1.0 each.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If the team keeps taking strides in the right direction and gets to playing with a lead more often I expect the sack total to go up. In the two wins 9 combined sacks.
Reply/Quote
Jones has impressed with his ability to get North
And south quickly on punt returns

Turner doesn't look overmatched at CB. Don't
Be surprised if he makes a few impact plays down the road.

I'd like to see Murphy moved around a bit
Maybe line him up on the same side
As Trey or Hubbard and hope he can
Come at the QB unblocked

Iosivias have not seen enough of
But can he block downfield ?

Brown has not impressed
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 10:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: One of the big things that helped the Chiefs get back to and win the Super Bowl last year was their great contributions from their rookie class.
They had a lot of talent leave in FA and needed multiple rookies to step in and impact right away.

With that in mind, let's see how the rookies for the Bengals are doing through ~1/3 of the way through the regular season:
Murphy - 20% of defensive snaps, 21% ST snaps
Turner - 53% of defensive snaps, 37% ST snaps
Battle - 16% of defensive snaps, 70% ST snaps
Jones - 1% of offensive snaps, 13% ST snaps
Brown - 1% of offensive snaps, 34% ST snaps
Iosivas - 14% of offensive snaps, 63% ST snaps
Robbins - 33% ST snaps
Ivey - 0.3% defensive snaps, 9% ST snaps

When it comes to playing time, Turner, Battle, and Iosivas are getting the most snaps percentage-wise.
Jones and Robbins are doing their roles on ST.

Turner is about the only one playing significant snaps on O/D, although Battle might be getting more opportunity here soon.

I would say least impactful for the investment right now is Murphy, but he's been buried on the depth chart.
I'd like to see him get more opportunity over Sample and/or Ossai if they don't start having more of an impact by midseason.

*Tangent*
Right now, the Bengals are tied for 8th in the NFL with 15.0 sacks. Leader is BUF with 21.0 sacks.
Hendrickson is Top 5 in sacks with 6.0.
Hill is quietly on pace to have 8+ sacks on the season (currently 2.5)
Hubbard on track for his typical 6-8.
No other DL is quite closing the deal, as only Murphy and Reader have sacks on the DL, and they have just 1.0 each.

Nice thread Ochocincos. Have to say, DJ Turner is looking like a future great player for us and I am personally wanting to see
more of Jordan Battle at Safety next to Dax Hill. Battle has natural instincts and knows how to read Offenses it seems better 
than Nick Scott which is surprising being a rookie but he is a rookie from a big school in Bama and was known for his smarts.

I think Ossai being hurt is his problem of the vets. Murphy needs more snaps on 3rd downs lining up at 3-tech in the inside 
in my opinion. This way he wouldn't have to be learning on the job so much and he can just pin his ears back and learn to 
rush in the NFL. The more snaps the better for MM as long as he continues to improve.

Obviously the thumb injury to Charlie Jones is the reason he hasn't seen many snaps. Looking forward to seeing lots of Chuck
Sizzle after the bye.
Reply/Quote