Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rookies eat
(05-28-2022, 12:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The cut-and-scoop is superior...if you can pull it off  Smirk

I mostly get it to take home. The trick is, once you've poured the spaghetti and chili on your plate, cut it, then add the rest. The cheese helps to hold the cut spaghetti on your fork without any additional cutting.

If you eat it in the restaurant, cut it bite by bite. Otherwise you end up with a big mess on your plate.

"Aren't they basically the same thing?", you say? No. The un-cut cheese is superior in taste and texture with the 'take home' option. 

*this PSA was brought to you by the Experienced Cincinnati Chili Eaters Association*

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 10:35 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: LOL. Well, It's Chili on noodles or hot dogs or both or triple or double or single or, ummm,,, Whatever. It's heartburn food. However, it's a Cincinnati staple, so, the rookies gotta eat!  Cool

Yeah, the only time I eat Cincinnati style 'chili' is when I need a fast acting laxative.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 12:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Price Hill Chili.

I’m a lifelong westsider, and I don’t think anyone over here really claims it’s better than Skyline tbh. It’s good - but Skyline is the standard. If any of the non-chains give it a run for it’s money it’s probably Camp Washington Chili, imo.

I think it was Camp Washington...
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 01:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I mostly get it to take home. The trick is, once you've poured the spaghetti and chili on your plate, cut it, then add the rest. The cheese helps to hold the cut spaghetti on your fork without any additional cutting.

If you eat it in the restaurant, cut it bite by bite. Otherwise you end up with a big mess on your plate.

"Aren't they basically the same thing?", you say? No. The un-cut cheese is superior in taste and texture with the 'take home' option. 

*this PSA was brought to you by the Experienced Cincinnati Chili Eaters Association*

Good advice.  And, don't pass up the bib. At the Skyline I go to in Dayton, the waitress will even bib you ThumbsUp

PS:  The ECCEA needs a nickname, as do all people and things. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Sometimes, you get the sense that the players are just being polite when they say they like Cincinnati Chili, but I think CTB legitimately really liked the food in this video. He just kept eating haha.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 03:53 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Good lord it's easy to forget how BIG the OL are until you seem them next to relatively normal sized people like DBs with no pads on.  Volson is built like a brick you-know-what house.

Is that how he got you-know-what in his neck?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 11:31 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Sometimes, you get the sense that the players are just being polite when they say they like Cincinnati Chili, but I think CTB legitimately really liked the food in this video. He just kept eating haha.

Gold Star is a sponsor so I bet there was some promoting before they started filming.  Something like, "Even if you don't like it please just act like you do."  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 01:41 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Gold Star is a sponsor so I bet there was some promoting before they started filming.  Something like, "Even if you don't like it please just act like you do."  

For sure, I wouldn't be shocked if they got a slight endorsement stipend to enjoy Gold Star. Either way, I enjoy the small dose of fun added by the Bengals with the video.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 01:49 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: For sure, I wouldn't be shocked if they got a slight endorsement stipend to enjoy Gold Star. Either way, I enjoy the small dose of fun added by the Bengals with the video.

Yeah I like these types of fun videos/commercials especially this time of year when there isn't much else going on.  Cool to see the rookies in the same room having a bit of fun.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 02:29 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah I like these types of fun videos/commercials especially this time of year when there isn't much else going on.  Cool to see the rookies in the same room having a bit of fun.

At least none of them were asked to smile before deep throating a foot-long hot dog.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 04:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At least none of them were asked to smile before deep throating a foot-long hot dog.

That one was the wurst.  I still don't know how Palmer agreed to that. I guess he didn't know what text would be added after the photo.

[Image: cdJUkRW.jpg]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 04:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At least none of them were asked to smile before deep throating a foot-long hot dog.

That's not a foot long. 

Trust me. I know.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 04:46 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: That one was the wurst. 

Rep.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 12:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The cut-and-scoop is superior...if you can pull it off  Smirk

Rookies you use a spoon and fork in unison to twirl your fork in spaghetti.  

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 09:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Style is similar, but taste is different.  There is supposed to be another place on the west side that some people think is better than both.  Regardless, I am with Truck.  My sister was thrilled when a Skyline made it to Tampa.  

You know I've talked about this so much as an out-of-towner, when I'm mentioned and I didn't even post in the thread Wink LOL

It's all Mediterranean Meat Stew, rather than Chili; the, "Chili," moniker is just the name, but it isn't indicative of what the dish is. There is a difference between Gold Star and Skyline, but not a sizable one (regardless of what people say) and since it is eaten with so many other things (cheese, onions, hotdogs, crackers, etc.), the flavour of the chili itself, gets a bit lost.

(05-28-2022, 12:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili

Big reason why people from outside of the area don't like it or joke about it is because they associate it to chili con carne, or the more traditional chili that we make and serve with chunkiness to it.
However, Cincinnati chili was always intended to be more like a topping, not like a stew.
The actual creators of Cincinnati chili were Greek immigrants.

You said it best ThumbsUp

(05-28-2022, 12:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: My advice to out-of-towners is to use the canned or frozen stuff solely for Skyline dip. Coneys and Ways need to be fresh, but the dip is fantastic with the canned stuff.

Or you can make it yourself, like I have 3 times now Wink

Thought I had a pic of the last time I made it, but I don't. Honestly, it's better than the genuine article and I'm not saying that because I make it; it's legitimately delicious and somehow even stronger in flavour than what you get at the restaurant.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 07:35 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Gold Star time for the rookies.  Wink

https://www.bengals.com/video/gold-star-chili?utm_campaign=Bengals+Cincy+Chili+Tasting

CTB got a little sweat going there lol

Volson is a monster.
Reply/Quote
My wife HATED Skyline and even more so, Gold Star before we moved to Montana in '93. I moved back to Ohio for 2 years in 2010 and she became addicted. She's convinced there's some addictive ingredient. Anytime we're back in Ohio to visit family, our first stop is the Skyline at the Hebron exit. And I don't think the canned stuff is as good, but every time I'm back for a visit without the Mrs., I'm greeted at the door when I retun to Montana and asked "how many cans did you get? (And the answer better be more than a 4-pack!) I think we have a dozen right now ready to go. When she's stressed, out comes the Skyline.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 12:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: My advice to out-of-towners is to use the canned or frozen stuff solely for Skyline dip. Coneys and Ways need to be fresh, but the dip is fantastic with the canned stuff.

I dunno man... I've been using the frozen coney sauce on Nathan's beef franks with the skyline cheese on a sourdough bun. It puts those lil half cooked hot dogs to shame at the restaurant. You can't beat the 3-way at home though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 10:14 PM)Stewy Wrote: Isn't it the same?  *ducks*

Similar in content but much different in taste. There at least 5-7 different chili "parlors" in Cincinnati that have a very devoted base. Many people get outright offended if someone doesn't agree with their Cincinnati chili favorite. My favorites list is:
  • Skyline (It's just a traditional thing)
  • Gold Star (As close as it gets to Skyline)
  • Price Hill Chili (Wow, just wow. You have to try this place)
  • Pleasant Ridge Chili (Hearty chili and open until 4:30 AM)
  • Camp Washington chili (24 hours a day and home grown)
  • Empress Chili (They try and are good in a pinch)
  • Blue Ash Chili (A tasty riser with taking chili to a 6 way)
  • Dixie Chili (Also offer a 6 way with garlic)
Either way, if you are a fan of Greek chili you really can't go wrong at most Cincinnati chili restaurants.

Most of my life included my mom's homemade "Louisville chili" (as my parents were from Louisville) but, growing up in a Cincinnati chili world it certainly is an acquired taste.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 03:53 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Good lord it's easy to forget how BIG the OL are until you seem them next to relatively normal sized people like DBs with no pads on.  Volson is built like a brick you-know-what house.

A brick poopee house?  I never quite understood it when some female with a great body is compared to what's really an outhouse built of bricks.. Maybe the first one never learned to wipe properly and had really bad hygiene..  Nervous  "What a GREAT body, but I dunno..I do have my limits." LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote