Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthony Munoz Voted Best Tackle Of All-Time!
(08-06-2022, 07:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, maybe Bruce Smith or Reggie White would get him once in a great while, that is how great Anthony was.

It's great that you mention Bruce Smith.  I saw an interview with him once where he stated before playing the Bengals, he would have a meeting with Mark Kelso, Cornelius Bennett and Carlton Bailey to let them know they had to step up their game, because he knew he himself would be basically a non factor in the game going against Munoz.  He used to hang out at a spot in Norfolk with Pernell Whitaker (RIP) quite often.  I ran into him a couple times there and asked him about the interview once.  He said Munoz was the only guy he felt he couldn't beat.  STRONG praise coming from Bruce Smith himself.  I do remember him having some success against us back then as well.  But evidentially it was either such a rarity compared to the rest of the plays, or perhaps he got credit for a sack or tackle where he just cleaned up after another player caused the pressure.  I feel it is safe to say Bruce Smith would agree with Munoz being the best tackle ever.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2022, 12:34 AM)Shepdawg Wrote: It's great that you mention Bruce Smith.  I saw an interview with him once where he stated before playing the Bengals, he would have a meeting with Mark Kelso, Cornelius Bennett and Carlton Bailey to let them know they had to step up their game, because he knew he himself would be basically a non factor in the game going against Munoz.  He used to hang out at a spot in Norfolk with Pernell Whitaker (RIP) quite often.  I ran into him a couple times there and asked him about the interview once.  He said Munoz was the only guy he felt he couldn't beat.  STRONG praise coming from Bruce Smith himself.  I do remember him having some success against us back then as well.  But evidentially it was either such a rarity compared to the rest of the plays, or perhaps he got credit for a sack or tackle where he just cleaned up after another player caused the pressure.  I feel it is safe to say Bruce Smith would agree with Munoz being the best tackle ever.

Nice Shepdawg. Think so too. That is a great story. Bruce Smith was probably my favorite Defensive Lineman through the 90's.

Even over Reggie White. Guess that is why the Bills are my second favorite team to my Bengals.

BTW. Partied with a life long Bills fan who grew up in Buffalo and was a Chiropractor for a few of their players, namely the
O-lineman and he said Jim Kelly would have parties all the time at his house DURING the season before games and the players
were clearly hungover on game days. Cannot believe they went to 4 straight SuperBowls doing this but maybe this was a part
of the reason they never won one lol
Reply/Quote
I recall reading that Paul Brown went to watch Munoz play at USC. (I can't recall who was with him). Evidently Brown was literally laughing out loud at how good Munoz was with pancaking defender after defender. Seems Paul Brown knew talent when he saw it!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 10:52 AM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: I recall reading that Paul Brown went to watch Munoz play at USC. (I can't recall who was with him). Evidently Brown was literally laughing out loud at how good Munoz was with pancaking defender after defender. Seems Paul Brown knew talent when he saw it!

Kind of blatant with how big, athletic and technically sound he was...

Maybe La'el has a little bit of this, sure hope so for our sake. There is that vid of La'el outrunning the secondary down the field
raking dudes to the turf against the Packers and damn it was impressive and showed that blatant freak athleticism that is extremely 
rare for OL.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 01:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kind of blatant with how big, athletic and technically sound he was...

Maybe La'el has a little bit of this, sure hope so for our sake. There is that vid of La'el outrunning the secondary down the field
raking dudes to the turf against the Packers and damn it was impressive and showed that blatant freak athleticism that is extremely 
rare for OL.
Yep, watch that video and you're hearing "Mixon with another 40 yard TD run."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 01:26 PM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: Yep, watch that video and you're hearing "Mixon with another 40 yard TD run."

Hopefully Mixon finishes this year cause that is the one thing TLL always brings up to discredit him...

Hope this is no longer a thing. Mixon can have lots of big runs but he needs to put it in the End Zone much more often.

La'el and our other guys should give him a good head start.
Reply/Quote