Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Ross’s 5th Year Option Declined
What a bust.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 06:47 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: What a bust.

Yep sure seems that way.. 1st round picks are no guarantees for sure.. I remember listening the the draft commentators during the draft mention like four to five 1st round picks from 2019 that they felt had bad 1st years...
Reply/Quote
No surprise here. However, if he does come through with a complete season of production, the team could still negotiate a deal with him, going forward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We'll see how he does this year. No way he is worth that 5th year money.

But he started off last year really well & scores TDs at a great rate. Should be better with a better QB, AJ & Higgins joining him wide, and an improved O-Line.

I think that speed is worth keeping around as a WR3/WR4 on a modest deal. Significantly less than Boyd makes.
Reply/Quote
I think we all saw that coming.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
The real question is, if Ross goes out and puts up 800-1000 yards and 8-10 scores this year, do they extend him. Ross’s problem is not production, it’s availability. He has far more upside than Tate, and could easily stay on as WR3 if Green does not return. Marvin and company limited Ross’s chances initially, and the nagging injuries limited him more. You can’t teach 4.22, and Ross showed in college the ability to run a full route tree.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 07:07 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The real question is, if Ross goes out and puts up 800-1000 yards and 8-10 scores this year, do they extend him.  Ross’s problem is not production, it’s availability.  He has far more upside than Tate, and could easily stay on as WR3 if Green does not return.

He could be extended, as Sunset already mentioned, or he could receive either a franchise or transition tag.
Reply/Quote
A ton of players, including 4 of the top 5, had their option declined.

2017 was a trash draft haha.
Reply/Quote
He's going to need to have a good year for an extension. I think they've got a mind to keep one receiver when it comes down to AJ or Ross, and its going to be who has the better season.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
3 years, 10 TDs and 2 turnovers. Meh.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 07:07 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The real question is, if Ross goes out and puts up 800-1000 yards and 8-10 scores this year, do they extend him. 

Production this season aside, I think most people are ok extending him, the issue is always going to be price. Mike and company are generally fair when it comes to offering contracts, the question will be how highly he views his worth.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 06:47 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: What a bust.

He still has next year to prove himself, and at least he showed flashes of what he could be if the QB has some time.

FWIW, I think it actually works out very well for the Bengals that AJ, Mixon, and Ross are all on essentially one-year deals.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 07:16 PM)Benton Wrote: Production this season aside, I think most people are ok extending him, the issue is always going to be price. Mike and company are generally fair when it comes to offering contracts, the question will be how highly he views his worth.

Isn't this usually the time of year where we start complaining that the ho-hum vet WRs on our roster are going to get in the way of the whizzbang new talented WRs we just drafted?  At what point do we start looking at Ross as the one keeping the young guys down?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 06:57 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We'll see how he does this year. No way he is worth that 5th year money.

But he started off last year really well & scores TDs at a great rate. Should be better with a better QB, AJ & Higgins joining him wide, and an improved O-Line.

I think that speed is worth keeping around as a WR3/WR4 on a modest deal. Significantly less than Boyd makes.

He really only had a great Week 1 last year. He was a non-factor in Week 2 until deep in garbage time when he got a long TD. 

If he doesn't vastly improve his hands/effort/routes in 2020 then it doesn't matter of he has speed or not. Speed on a place other than where you throw the ball, or speed with no hands, is a waste of one of your 11 on O.

- - - - - -
EDITED FOR INFO: Ross had 3 catches for 46 yards until he scored a 66 yard TD with 56 seconds left in a 41-10 game. It was the garbage-ist of garbage time TDs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 07:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Isn't this usually the time of year where we start complaining that the ho-hum vet WRs on our roster are going to get in the way of the whizzbang new talented WRs we just drafted?  At what point do we start looking at Ross as the one keeping the young guys down?

You can't be a ho-hum vet until you have your rookie season, and Ross is BASICALLY still a rookie, Nate.    Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 07:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He really only had a great Week 1 last year. He was a non-factor in Week 2 until deep in garbage time when he got a long TD. 

If he doesn't vastly improve his hands/effort/routes in 2020 then it doesn't matter of he has speed or not. Speed on a place other than where you throw the ball, or speed with no hands, is a waste of one of your 11 on O.

Ross had a single standout game last year and then followed it with an  ultra garbage time TD and a whole lotta inconsistency and injury.  We will see what he does in 2020 but I'm not expecting Burrow to tolerate a WR he can't trust so Ross had better get with the program because he's going to lose a popularity battle if it comes down to whether he or Burrow blew it.

(05-02-2020, 07:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can't be a ho-hum vet until you have your rookie season, and Ross is BASICALLY still a rookie, Nate.    Ninja

He's played 18 games or so...he's early in his 2nd season now!  Though many of those games were with Dalton on the sideline so yeah, he's a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 07:13 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: A ton of players, including 4 of the top 5, had their option declined.

2017 was a trash draft haha.

Umm...Garrett, Mahomes, Watson, Adams, McCaffrey, Fournette, Lattimore, Watt, Cook, Mixon, JuJu...

Reply/Quote
I thiknk it was Cincy Jungle that called this... They think they declined it because they are looking to extend him to a short 2 year prove it deal. It saves the Bengals to have to pony up big if Ross explodes with Burrow this year, and it helps Ross out as well.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yeah that isn't actually shocking news. He hasn't lived up to his 1st round selection. I expected that to happen.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
If Ross has a good productive year then that
Means the offense is really doing good
Really don't undestand the hate for this guy.
He's been hurt and one injury he suffered last year
You can't pin on him
Reply/Quote