Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Ross’s 5th Year Option Declined
(05-02-2020, 09:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Consider last year's 3rd round pick Terry McLaurin who started and played in 14, mostly with a rookie QB. He had 919 yards and 7 TDs. He ran a 4.35 at the combine.

Not defending Ross here, but it is silly to use an extreme exception to try and prove a point.

There have been 44 WRs drafted in the third round over the last decade and 42 of them had fewer receiving yards than McLaurin did as a rookie.

Its like using Tom Brady to show how easy it is to get a Hall of Fame QB in the sixth round.
Reply/Quote
I think even the most hard core Ross fan understands that we can not commit that kind of money for his fifth season. If he has a break out season we can still try to re-sign him.

He should be our #4 WR this year and I think we will be running a lot of 4WR sets. So he will be on the filed if he is healthy. Even if he sucks opposing teams still have to cover him and repect his speed. Even if he does not catch a lot of balls maybe he will open up the defense for other guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 01:43 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: It was good to see Marvin come out of the woods and talk about Andy, I wish he would also comment about this disaster pick which is obvious he was vehemently against.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ross hardly plays to stay healthy (aka feign injury) and hope to get signed by some other team, because Ross.

Well, they say he didn't want Ross but they also say he wanted Reuben Foster, which would have been even worse.  So don't go patting Marvin too hard on the back for that draft.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 04:40 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not defending Ross here, but it is silly to use an extreme exception to try and prove a point.

There have been 44 WRs drafted in the third round over the last decade and 42 of them had fewer receiving yards than McLaurin did as a rookie.

Its like using Tom Brady to show how easy it is to get a Hall of Fame QB in the sixth round.

But several of those 44 have more yards than Ross, which is the point.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 06:47 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: What a bust.

It appears a lot of draft class 5th year option declined including 3rd round pick Soloman Thomas

It is up to Ross to win a job in the future, he stays healthy he has a shot because it will be for a lot less money
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:03 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm still rooting for it all to click with Ross this upcoming season.  I hope he performs well & has longevity and success with the Bengals.

[Image: broken-record-gif-1.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Obviously rooting for Ross to have a breakout year, but hated the pick when we made it and being proven fairly right so far. Fingers crossed he proves us wrong
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 09:57 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears a lot of draft class 5th year option declined including 3rd round pick Soloman Thomas

It is up to Ross to win a job in the future, he stays healthy he has a shot because it will be for a lot less money

I'm sure you meant #3OA pick. WTS, I think Thomas will be highly sought. There's just no room for him on that All-Star SF D-line. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 10:25 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Obviously rooting for Ross to have a breakout year, but hated the pick when we made it and being proven fairly right so far. Fingers crossed he proves us wrong

Mixed feelings on this. There's 4 WRs on the team I'd rather see do better than JR for various reasons.

Green
Boyd
Higgins
Tate

If JR has a breakout season then one of them under performed. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
John Ross for Larry Warford just makes too much sense to me. Doubt it would happen though.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 08:58 AM)BengalChris Wrote: But several of those 44 have more yards than Ross, which is the point.

Ross had over 500 receiving yards last year.  Almost half of those 3rd round WRs (21) never had a season with 500 yards.

Again, not trying to defend Ross.  Just pointing out the flaw in your argument.  An exception to a rule does not prove anything.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 11:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Mixed feelings on this. There's 4 WRs on the team I'd rather see do better than JR for various reasons.

Green
Boyd
Higgins
Tate

If JR has a breakout season then one of them under performed. 

Ross has much more potentiual than Auden Tate.  If both play up to their potential Ross will out perform Tate.

I don't have much faith in either of them becomiong a good NFL WR.  Whoever our #4 WR is will catch some passes even if he is not very good.  
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ross has much more potentiual than Auden Tate.  If both play up to their potential Ross will out perform Tate.

I don't have much faith in either of them becomiong a good NFL WR.  Whoever our #4 WR is will catch some passes even if he is not very good.  
Tate has already exceeded expectations on this boad
Last year over half this board had him a being 
Cut. 
Tate made very positive strides last year. 
He was not utilized properly at times either 
He missed 4 games and still had 500 yards 
Recieving.
Ross just can't stay healthy. 
But this offensive staff really has to be more 
Creative I'm getting him touches 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 07:16 PM)Benton Wrote: Production this season aside, I think most people are ok extending him, the issue is always going to be price. Mike and company are generally fair when it comes to offering contracts, the question will be how highly he views his worth.

Ross is like a 1980’s Jaguar auto, you need two of them as one is always in the shop. Car looks great, it’s expensive, when it works, it’s a blast.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:26 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Ross is like a 1980’s Jaguar auto, you need two of them as one is always in the shop. Car looks great, it’s expensive, when it works, it’s a blast.

Rep.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 09:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He needs to earn his next contract. So far he hasn't. Even if he does have a good year the team can't give him a huge contract because of his history.

His availability is one of his problems. But his production, outside of two games has been very poor.

Speed in one thing, but there is so more to the position and he doesn't see to have any of it.

In is second year, he played in 13 games with 10 starts and managed 210 yards. For an outside receiver that's pretty pathetic. He did, however, manage 7 TDs many by running routes along the back of the end zone.

In this third year, game 1, he had 158 yards and 2 TDs. Game 2 he had 112 yards and 1 TD. He played in 6 more games last season and for those game he averaged 39.3 yards per game and he had 0 TDs. He disappeared.

Over the 3 years he's played in 24 of 48 games he has 716 yards 10 TDs.

Consider last year's 3rd round pick Terry McLaurin who started and played in 14, mostly with a rookie QB. He had 919 yards and 7 TDs. He ran a 4.35 at the combine.

Ross is replaceable. Very replaceable. His speed is replaceable. His production is replaceable.

Exactly. He should have been replaced a while ago. Tate took his spot as a late rounder. I have always felt we should have cut our losses with Ross and opened the roster spot up to someone with any potential because Ross has zero potential.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:26 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Ross is like a 1980’s Jaguar auto, you need two of them as one is always in the shop. Car looks great, it’s expensive, when it works, it’s a blast.

How reasonable is it to expect much from a 40 year old car in the first place?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:31 PM)cj1895 Wrote: Ross has zero potential.

There are plenty of bad things you can say about Ross, but "zero potential" is not one of them.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are plenty of bad things you can say about Ross, but "zero potential" is not one of them.

Really fast with zero football skills does not equal potential.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:43 PM)cj1895 Wrote: Really fast with zero football skills does not equal potential.

He has football skills.

No one with zero potential comes out of college with a first round grade.
Reply/Quote