Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross Can't Be Butter Fingers Tonight
(09-30-2019, 01:42 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Andy was in position to put the ball in the end zone 
Ross's drops didn't cost us the game
But Andys erroneous throw to Tate did 

How can a turnover not matter in a game we lose by one possession?  I don't hate John Ross, but I'm getting a little frustrated that I'm suppose to convince myself that a TD he scores with 36 seconds left in a blowout counts as a positive but a fumble he has during a close game is no biggie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In football you are taught to go to the next play. Have a short memory. When the Bengals were driving on the Bills
Were you thinking "oh gosh that fumble by JR is bothering me "
Or did you think "cmon Andy put this ball in the end zone !!"
Good teams can overcome drops fumbles missed tackles
Good teams RISE TO THE OCCASION .....GOOD PLAYERS RISE
TO THE OCCASION.
I hate fumbles like the next guy
But I hate INTs worse thrown by a 9 yr vet with a clean pocket
And no defender in his face
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 01:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How can a turnover not matter in a game we lose by one possession?  I don't hate John Ross, but I'm getting a little frustrated that I'm suppose to convince myself that a TD he scores with 36 seconds left in a blowout counts as a positive but a fumble he has during a close game is no biggie.

This...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 12:31 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Ross has been the least of my worries on offense
His good has out weighted the bad this year
The lack of running lanes is very concerning.
The lack of overall production from the TEs is alaming
This offense hasn't scored more than 2 TDs in a game this year.
ROSS has been a bright spot on a average offense this
Year.
Who would you rather see in his place ....Alex Erickson?

Yes
Reply/Quote
Ross's problem is he's already thinking what he's going to do once he catches the ball and not actually concentrating on the task at hand (or through them). If he could be a little patient and just make the catch, he would be awesome. Oh, and not fumble. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 02:14 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Yes

Well ok then.
Wake me up in 3 years when Erickson Reaches the end zone finally 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 01:14 PM)GodFather Wrote: He is wearing special gloves tonight just to address this issue....    Ninja

[Image: img-fbeef760-aa24-4090-aa8f-5cfdc7d5a77c.jpg]

Good Pic. 

I'm not bashing Ross.  I repeat that if Bengals are to beat the Steelers tonight they need Ross not to be all butter fingers. He has been butter fingers his entire time with Bengals.  We now see that if and when he catches the ball he can score from any place on the field with his elite speed.  He may well be the fastest WR in the NFL.  Still it is like former Red Billy Hamilton in that he could not get on first base to steal 2nd base.  Fast but no bat.  Ross is fast but no hands.  

So I will single out Ross as a KEY in tonights game.  If he catches the passes thrown to him, he has the talent to help beat the Steelers. Plus big plays by Ross will open up the D for Boyd, TE's, Mixon, Bernard, Dalton.   However if he drops most of the passes to him, the Steelers will win and win easy on those lost opportunities.   

As to why I did not single out Tate is because I doubt anybody has or wants Tate in Fantasy Football at this time and he is in no way the talent Ross can be When He Catches The Ball. 

So I have no problem repeating that Ross actually catching most of his passes tonight IS A KEY to any hopes of Bengals beating what I consider to be a better team in Steelers, going on the 49ers games.   To beat or upset Steelers,  Ross catching his passes is a KEY.  Ross and Boyd both having big nights would be huge. 

I will add that with AJ Green out, it is KEY that Ross catches most of his passes.  If Ross and Boyd have big games, they won't need Green tonight.  AJ Green being injured forces Ross to be be a KEY to the game.  If he is not all butter fingers, Bengals can win this one. 

One last item is our awful O Line. When and if they give Dalton a chance to throw the ball, the receivers must catch the passes, because many plays the Steelers D is going to BLOW UP our weak O Line and the play is stopped right at the snap of the ball. As bad as they are, the O Line will provide a few passes, and those passes must be caught when opportunity knocks.

Ross is one of the best WR's in the NFL, WHEN HE DOESN'T DROP THE BALL.

and I'll add NFL announcers including ex players and coaches say game after game, the receivers are getting paid good money to make these catches. I have never heard them say it is OK for receivers to drop easy passes. Ross catching passes to him is a KEY with Green out if Bengals hope to beat Steelers TONIGHT.

GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 12:31 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Ross has been the least of my worries on offense
His good has out weighted the bad this year
The lack of running lanes is very concerning.
The lack of overall production from the TEs is alaming
This offense hasn't scored more than 2 TDs in a game this year.
ROSS has been a bright spot on a average offense this
Year.
Who would you rather see in his place ....Alex Erickson?

The production of the TEs (or lack thereof) shouldn't have been alarming if you paid attention to how the Rams have used TEs the past two years or how the TE was used at MIA when Taylor became OC there.
In those years mentioned above, no TE was every a top 3 receiving threat and never had even 400 yards.
The TE was not a focal point of the offense from a pass catching perspective.

If the pace continues, here are the projected totals for Uzomah, Eifert, and Sample by year's end:
Uzomah - 352 yards, 0 TDs
Eifert - 288 yards, 5 TDs
Sample - 133 yards, 0 TDs
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 01:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ah my bad, I must have misplaced my job aide outlining which things that actually happened I'm allowed to ignore and which ones I'm supposed to blame when we come up short and only get a "Shoulda W but L."

If the Bengals managed to gain the lead after one of those instances, but failed to gain the lead after the second...which one would you point to as being more "blame-worthy"?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 02:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If the Bengals managed to gain the lead after one of those instances, but failed to gain the lead after the second...which one would you point to as being more "blame-worthy"?

Hell if I know...I've never been too good at looking at a situation with multiple people who are complicit in the overall failure and blaming it all on one single person.

Ah screw it...Mike Brown...this is all your fault!  I guess I can do that.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 02:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Well ok then.
Wake me up in 3 years when Erickson Reaches the end zone finally 

He reached in 2017.

Nice TD too, actually; got separation ON THE OUTSIDE.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 02:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hell if I know...I've never been too good at looking at a situation with multiple people who are complicit in the overall failure and blaming it all on one single person.

Ah screw it...Mike Brown...this is all your fault!  I guess I can do that.

Oh. I thought we were talking about the magnitude of the turnover, not who to blame. There are a lot to blame.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 02:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Oh. I thought we were talking about the magnitude of the turnover, not who to blame. There are a lot to blame.

Who knows...this whole situation has gotten all caddywhompus.  I personally find John Ross interesting because he tends to do something really great or do something really awful, so this all fits my narrative.  Throw the ball to Ross and get ready for something wacky.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 02:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who knows...this whole situation has gotten all caddywhompus.  I personally find John Ross interesting because he tends to do something really great or do something really awful, so this all fits my narrative.  Throw the ball to Ross and get ready for something wacky.

Sounds like a solid plan. 

I'm just glad i could get a "caddywhompus" out of you. 

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 11:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Ya know, Gresham was one of those guys who I was frustrated with for years but eventually came to think he was undervalued by the fanbase.
For 5 years straight he gave the Bengals 450+ yards and 4+ TDs every season, but people will just remember his untimely fumbles or drops.

He just turned into a "struggle for 0.5 more yards" and fumble kind of guy. Kind of like how Carson turned into a pick 6 machine. The Andy era is "mr. mediocre".
Reply/Quote
tonight or any night, a top 10 pick needs to catch the ball end of story
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 11:32 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I hope so to

In the words of John Madden "every receiver has drops every now and then, the key being every now and then" Ross has already used up his every now and thens.

i wish Madden was still around, if was doing a Bengals game, he would be exhausted from all the scribbles hed be putting on the screen. ha!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 02:14 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Yes

Alex Erickson has never had more than 180 yards and 1 TD in a season.
John Ross has eclipsed both of those marks through 2 seasons already - 2018 and 2019.
As a receiver, Ross is a far more productive than Erickson even with the drops.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 08:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree but I feel the games outcome will really be determined on the ground. We have 12 yards rushing at the half.......

I believe Ross may be one of those players like Gresham, gotta get him in the game early with nice easy screen or something ?

I only wish Ross could be a 2x Pro Bowler for the Bengals who is willing to make tough catches over the middle of the field knowing he was going to get absolutely obliterated, and still tried to run guys over for the extra couple yards. Or be a type of guy who needs back surgery, but still drags himself off the ground in massive pain after a hit directly to his already hurt back because the Bengals need him to catch a pass to secure a playoff berth.

Gresham was never an All-Pro or anything, but he is criminally under-appreciated by a lot of Bengals fans.

He also had WAY better hands than is often given credit for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9xLfFgs1O8

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 04:50 PM)corpjet Wrote: tonight or any night, a top 10 pick needs to catch the ball end of story

John Ross has at least one reception in 15 of his past 16 games, so he is catching the ball. End of story.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote