Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross limited Thursday; Jones didn’t practice

Might as well just shut Ross down for the year
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 01:52 AM)Trademark Wrote:

Might as well just shut Ross down for the year

Why? He is working that is a good sign maybe he is only a week or two away?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I know it is frustrating as hell when I think Ross was such a crucial piece to this offense. The bigger question to me know (since I can't control his health and I just cross my fingers that he will be available sooner than later) is why do we keep trotting out Brandon Lafell on seemingly every play when PFF has him ranked very low, he gets next to no separation, gets no YAC, and has no vertical speed while a guy named Cody Core sits on the bench?

If Ross was drafted to help take advantage of single coverage and push a safety back from the LOS, why isn't the same being asked of Core? This is the decision making that drives me up the friggin wall.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jim O's take:

@SHRacerX – Cody Core/vertical threat

Great question. All I can surmise (and I don’t know this for sure, because honestly the coaches have been a bit edgy since the Zampese firing) is that he’s not doing what they want to see in practice. Generally speaking, when we wonder why a certain player isn’t on the field – it’s because he hasn’t earned it during the week or weeks prior to. I’ve only seen Core on the field of late to basically give Green his breathers.

Now, this also could be a function of the new OC. The deep drops for Dalton have greatly diminished in order to protect him. It’s hard to go deep when you want the ball out in 2.5 seconds, which is what he’s averaging since Lazor took over. So perhaps they feel LaFell is still better at what he’s being asked to do than, say, Core. But you’re right – with no Ross or Eifert this team is right back to where they were a year ago with no one else who can get open in a step outside of Green.
Reply/Quote
My reply to the "hard to go deep in that short of time" argument that I have repeatedly heard now is that Core's speed also opens him up for underneath routes because no one will play up on him, but I digress. Apparently the guy who was all-world in practices this spring has suddenly lost his abilities in practice.

It just makes no sense at all.

But Jim is right: Talent-wise, with no Eifert and no separation across from AJ, this offense is where it was for a lot of the season a year ago.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 05:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: My reply to the "hard to go deep in that short of time" argument that I have repeatedly heard now is that Core's speed also opens him up for underneath routes because no one will play up on him, but I digress.  Apparently the guy who was all-world in practices this spring has suddenly lost his abilities in practice.  

But Jim is right:  Talent-wise, with no Eifert and no separation across from AJ, this offense is where it was for a lot of the season a year ago.

Meh, consider the source who was saying Core was "all-world". I'm pretty sure it's the same person who was saying the same thing about so many other receivers who rarely got any playing time, and if they did they didn't play well.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 05:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Jim O's take:

Great question. All I can surmise (and I don’t know this for sure, because honestly the coaches have been a bit edgy since the Zampese firing) is that he’s not doing what they want to see in practice. Generally speaking, when we wonder why a certain player isn’t on the field – it’s because he hasn’t earned it during the week or weeks prior to. I’ve only seen Core on the field of late to basically give Green his breathers.

Now, this also could be a function of the new OC. The deep drops for Dalton have greatly diminished in order to protect him. It’s hard to go deep when you want the ball out in 2.5 seconds, which is what he’s averaging since Lazor took over. So perhaps they feel LaFell is still better at what he’s being asked to do than, say, Core. But you’re right – with no Ross or Eifert this team is right back to where they were a year ago with no one else who can get open in a step outside of Green.

[Image: Practice.jpg]

And to your comment about maybe LaFell is better than Core because of the scheme to get the ball out within 2.5 seconds, it's not good if a WR can't get separation quickly. We knew what the offense was going to be like with this crappy OL. The ball was going to have to get out fast and you need guys who can separate quickly. If Core can't do that, he's not very useful until Dalton can be given more time to throw. Luckily, John Ross is an ideal fit for this scheme, but he just needs to get healthy and see the field. You're our only hope, John Ross-Wan.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Ross hasn't gotten the opportunity to "earn it". Were never going to see what the kid can do if were going by this logic. If he's legitimately hurt and not ready then that's fine, but if he's healthy then you play him. If were going to apply this rule to every player then, guys like Ogbeuhi shouldn't be on the field. He's a first round draft pick who i would say after three seasons really hasn't earned anything.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 10:04 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Ross hasn't gotten the opportunity to "earn it". Were never going to see what the kid can do if were going by this logic. If he's legitimately hurt and not ready then that's fine, but if he's healthy then you play him. If were going to apply this rule to every player then, guys like Ogbeuhi shouldn't be on the field. He's a first round draft pick who i would say after three seasons really hasn't earned anything.

In some cases, it really felt/feels like the Bengals put more stock into practice than actual game performance.
Brandon Tate and Armon Binns come to mind.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 10:14 AM)ochocincos Wrote: In some cases, it really felt/feels like the Bengals put more stock into practice than actual game performance.
Brandon Tate and Armon Binns come to mind.

That's kind of a agree/ disagree philosophy with me. 
1.) Agree with this philosophy, you have a rookie that needs practice and young guys that do make mistakes from time to time
2.) Disagree with this philosophy, because right now this season can go south and you need to get everyone that can help you win on the field. Even if Ross is only a decoy or by chance we can get him the ball.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 12:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That's kind of a agree/ disagree philosophy with me. 
1.) Agree with this philosophy, you have a rookie that needs practice and young guys that do make mistakes from time to time
2.) Disagree with this philosophy, because right now this season can go south and you need to get everyone that can help you win on the field. Even if Ross is only a decoy or by chance we can get him the ball.

Yea I get where you're coming from. I should have specified better....
In the case of a rookie, obviously they need to get in practice to see the field on game day.
But in some cases for players who are not rookies, the Bengals seem to occasionally play guys who practice well but have proven to not be good in games in favor of guys who have shown better in actual games but maybe not have as good of practices.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 12:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I get where you're coming from. I should have specified better....
In the case of a rookie, obviously they need to get in practice to see the field on game day.
But in some cases for players who are not rookies, the Bengals seem to occasionally play guys who practice well but have proven to not be good in games in favor of guys who have shown better in actual games but maybe not have as good of practices.

I can't and won't disagree with you there.
I honestly don't think Ross wasn't hurt after his fumble. Just ML being a dumbass
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 05:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know it is frustrating as hell when I think Ross was such a crucial piece to this offense.  The bigger question to me know (since I can't control his health and I just cross my fingers that he will be available sooner than later) is why do we keep trotting out Brandon Lafell on seemingly every play when PFF has him ranked very low, he gets next to no separation, gets no YAC, and has no vertical speed while a guy named Cody Core sits on the bench?

If Ross was drafted to help take advantage of single coverage and push a safety back from the LOS, why isn't the same being asked of Core?  This is the decision making that drives me up the friggin wall.

I agree. We need more speed out there.

The Steelers have an excellent pass defense. This could be the week that having Lafell bites us.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 05:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: My reply to the "hard to go deep in that short of time" argument that I have repeatedly heard now is that Core's speed also opens him up for underneath routes because no one will play up on him, but I digress.  Apparently the guy who was all-world in practices this spring has suddenly lost his abilities in practice.  

But Jim is right:  Talent-wise, with no Eifert and no separation across from AJ, this offense is where it was for a lot of the season a year ago.

I'm with you on this...plus on a decent amount of plays there is time to go deep. The line, while rated bad doesn't collapse every play.

The loss of Eifert is huge.

Essentially what we're saying is that the offense only has 2 playmakers in Green and Mixon. I guess Bernard counts too.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 01:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm with you on this...plus on a decent amount of plays there is time to go deep. The line, while rated bad doesn't collapse every play.

The loss of Eifert is huge.

Essentially what we're saying is that the offense only has 2 playmakers in Green and Mixon. I guess Bernard counts too.

Right now, I would say we have 1 playmaker, Green. Mixon hasn't shown me much yet. I almost think he is trying to be like Bell to much. He is waiting to long to hit a hole "if" it is there. 
Reply/Quote

I believe CORE is AJ's Backup...  But we should do a little better job of mixing in these WRs...

My guess as to why Lafell gets the call more than CORE is the coaches trust him more and he has better timing with Dalton. That and the OL doesn't give the time for Deep routes to work that often

would love to see CORE and MALONE getting more action with ross still working his way into the lineup (which is understandable due to the time ehs missed with injuries he hasn't practiced much with the offense and needs to learn what hes doing to be more effective on offense.)
Reply/Quote
Just read Ross was full go today and I got all excited, but then I realized it was just a walkthru!! LMAO He is listed a questionable for this Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 02:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I believe CORE is AJ's Backup...  But we should do a little better job of mixing in these WRs...

My guess as to why Lafell gets the call more than CORE is the coaches trust him more and he has better timing with Dalton. That and the OL doesn't give the time for Deep routes to work that often

would love to see CORE and MALONE getting more action with ross still working his way into the lineup (which is understandable due to the time ehs missed with injuries he hasn't practiced much with the offense and needs to learn what hes doing to be more effective on offense.)

According to Bengals.com Malone will be activated and possibly see his 1st action.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 02:39 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Just read Ross was full go today and I got all excited, but then I realized it was just a walkthru!! LMAO  He is listed a questionable for this Sunday.

No reason to let the steelers know if hes playing or not
Reply/Quote
Ehem.. "You have to trust the process.."  If you don't place your trust in blind faith you're already lost.. ~according to some nilly willie philosopher..might have been Marvin. IDK.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote