Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross really wants a new start
(06-17-2019, 12:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anxiously waiting for someone to mention where he stopped on the route where Dalton threw it deep down the sideline.
There was a miscommunication but it happens even with veterans. I specifically remember Chad and Palmer being off-sync multiple times towards the last couple years he was in stripes.

this is cause chad was free lancing his routes and not running where he was suppose to...    Its why sometimes palmer thru a ball no WR was close to..  (someone was suppose to be there)
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 08:04 PM)McC Wrote: When people make up their mind about something, to the point where nothing will change it, this is the kind of stupid shit they say. 

I didn't know that route running and catching balls for a WR was stupid or shit or something that was even up for discussion. I more or less considered these things to be obvious skills that had to be worked on to become good at them.

I hope Ross does well, but I'm not going to pretend that he's been a good WR for us when he clearly hasn't.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I played WR in community college , I never ran the wrong route. In all seriousness there’s gotta be a reason Marvin didn’t play Ross n I’m pretty sure it wasn’t because he wanted to draft someone else. That’s really petty
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 01:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Excuse me if I've never been able to feel sorry for an NFL Offensive lineman that whines about being bullied in the locker room. If he had anything to him at all, one instance of putting Incognito into a locker would have ended it..... and is probably the response they were trying to evoke from him.

This I agree with. Most likely they wanted him to get "mad" and learn to play "mad", instead he needed a box of tissues.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is what I am thinking.

Now what did I do with that old Laveranues Coles jersey?
Finally someone gets it.  I was wondering how many posts I would have to go through before someone realized the obvious. He wore number 1 in college and cant in the pros along with the closest to that 11 or if you want to be technical 10 were both taken. Just like when D Jax wore 1 then switched to 10 but 11 when that number wasn't available Washington. I'm just glad we have an offensive minded coach to use him as he should be. Drags, bubble screens, sluggos, crosses and well as the 9 route, not just 9 route every play. Now it's up to him.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 01:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Excuse me if I've never been able to feel sorry for an NFL Offensive lineman that whines about being bullied in the locker room. If he had anything to him at all, one instance of putting Incognito into a locker would have ended it..... and is probably the response they were trying to evoke from him.

I don't recall asking anyone to feel sorry for him.  Its just a bad look when a low talent headcase like Incognito is the most talked about player on your team.  
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 02:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: this is cause chad was free lancing his routes and not running where he was suppose to...    Its why sometimes palmer thru a ball no WR was close to..  (someone was suppose to be there)

My statement is still correct. It was a miscommunication. I didn't specifically say it was Palmer or Chad's fault.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 02:49 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I played WR in community college , I never ran the wrong route.  In all seriousness there’s gotta be a reason Marvin didn’t play Ross n I’m pretty sure it wasn’t because he wanted to draft someone else.  That’s really petty

Year 2 Ross played a lot. He just didn't produce a lot.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 05:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't recall asking anyone to feel sorry for him.  Its just a bad look when a low talent headcase like Incognito is the most talked about player on your team.  

if Incognito was low talent he wouldn't have been in the league as long as he has.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 12:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if Incognito was low talent he wouldn't have been in the league as long as he has.

The guy has more arrests and psychiatric issues than he has pro bowls.  At any rate, we may pick him up when the Raiders cut him so that could be interesting at least. 
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anxiously waiting for someone to mention where he stopped on the route where Dalton threw it deep down the sideline.
There was a miscommunication but it happens even with veterans. I specifically remember Chad and Palmer being off-sync multiple times towards the last couple years he was in stripes.

I'm not even saying he didn't run any wrong or bad routes.  I'm just saying that I've never heard anyone on the team or any announcers or commentators saying it.  Seems like you would have to know what route he was supposed to run to be able to know if he didn't run it right.

I've seen him drop passes and not fight for the ball and give up on routes where it was clear he had no chance or the ball was thrown out of bounds.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 05:06 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not even saying he didn't run any wrong or bad routes.  I'm just saying that I've never heard anyone on the team or any announcers or commentators saying it.  Seems like you would have to know what route he was supposed to run to be able to know if he didn't run it right.

I've seen him drop passes and not fight for the ball and give up on routes where it was clear he had no chance or the ball was thrown out of bounds.  

If he clearly had no chance or the ball was thrown out of bounds, is it really "giving up on a route?" To me, that's just smart to avoid injury if you know you have no way of getting to the ball.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 05:06 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not even saying he didn't run any wrong or bad routes.  I'm just saying that I've never heard anyone on the team or any announcers or commentators saying it.  Seems like you would have to know what route he was supposed to run to be able to know if he didn't run it right.

Marvin Lewis did say it in reference to one play particular play and he was very vocal about it, something uncharacteristic of Marv.

(06-18-2019, 06:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If he clearly had no chance or the ball was thrown out of bounds, is it really "giving up on a route?" To me, that's just smart to avoid injury if you know you have no way of getting to the ball.

If we look at Green and Boyd and the amount of targets they got and their catch percentages, plus the TEs and backs and their catch percentages, it is rather easy to see that Dalton wasn't all that "off" on his throws overall.

But with Ross the ball and Ross didn't seem to get to the same spot at the same time nearly as often as the others mentioned above. I doubt that Dalton has it out for Ross and intentionally mis-threw many of his throws when Ross was the target. I just don't see that as very likely.

Sure there were throws out of bounds, there always are. Green had them. Boyd had them. But they still managed to haul in the majority of the throws going their way. Both Mixon and Bernard had to contend with some balls that were thrown in the dirt, so what. They still brought in the majority of their targets.

For some reason, and I've seen actual articles written on this, some writers seem to assume that because the ball and Ross weren't at the same spot that the ball was mis-thrown. That's a bad assumption because if it were true then it would be true for all receivers. But when the team's top 5 receivers (Green, Boyd, Uzomah, Mixon and Bernard) didn't experience this same issue and they had the same QBs that Ross had, it's incorrect to blame the throws.

Now if all receivers were having the same issue that would be a different thing entirely.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:29 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: This:

https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH/status/1133456810332102656

and this (per SBNATION):

"His routes are still sloppy, his hands are unimpressive, and nothing he’s shown over the first two years of his career suggest he can play a starring role on a contending team."

Not to mention giving up on the route against the Titans.

Willing to give him this year to turn it around. Otherwise, he and Ced can open a pizza place somewhere.

Thanks for saving me the trouble to find that. There have been nothing but reports on Ross the bust
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2019, 03:38 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: He could have just changed his name to Uno Cinco.

Does this mean we can call him unouno this season? not U Noun O..  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 06:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Marvin Lewis did say it in reference to one play particular play and he was very vocal about it, something uncharacteristic of Marv.

If we look at Green and Boyd and the amount of targets they got and their catch percentages, plus the TEs and backs and their catch percentages, it is rather easy to see that Dalton wasn't all that "off" on his throws overall.

But with Ross the ball and Ross didn't seem to get to the same spot at the same time nearly as often as the others mentioned above. I doubt that Dalton has it out for Ross and intentionally mis-threw many of his throws when Ross was the target. I just don't see that as very likely.

Sure there were throws out of bounds, there always are. Green had them. Boyd had them. But they still managed to haul in the majority of the throws going their way. Both Mixon and Bernard had to contend with some balls that were thrown in the dirt, so what. They still brought in the majority of their targets.

For some reason, and I've seen actual articles written on this, some writers seem to assume that because the ball and Ross weren't at the same spot that the ball was mis-thrown. That's a bad assumption because if it were true then it would be true for all receivers. But when the team's top 5 receivers (Green, Boyd, Uzomah, Mixon and Bernard) didn't experience this same issue and they had the same QBs that Ross had, it's incorrect to blame the throws.

Now if all receivers were having the same issue that would be a different thing entirely.

In no way am I implying Dalton intentionally mis-threw his throws to Ross. However, it's also an assumption on your part that all the blame belongs on Ross. 

We know Dalton (as do most QBs) struggles more with accuracy the deeper down the field the throws get.
John Ross led all receivers on the Bengals in average target distance (14.6 - 20th in NFL).

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/andy-dalton/
https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/john-ross/

I believe that it's actually a combination of a few things:
- Ross running too many deep routes and not enough opportunities in the short and intermediate range
- Ross not getting enough separation
- Dalton and Ross need to spend more time together to get comfortable with Ross' speed and Ross to get used to Dalton's throws
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm not saying Dalton is blameless but for all we value his high floor and smart play when he throws the ball to Ross there is a certain chuck n duck high risk insanity to the play.
Reply/Quote