Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ross struggled with consistency during spring practices
(07-10-2019, 02:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: One could argue Hopkins was a good C option but it (probably) wasn't seen on the field at this time last year.
With the way the game is now, it's important to have a solid-or-better C and also OTs due to the learning curve. Guards seem to be easier to find at least solid ones.

Hopkins was better than Price but would have still been one of the worst starting Centers in the league.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 11:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hopkins was better than Price but would have still been one of the worst starting Centers in the league.

Hopkins was rated the #21 center in the league last year. That's not "one of the worst," that's considered about average.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 11:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, letting Whitworth go at his age wasn't so bad. It's the fact that we whiff on draft picks at a fairly high rate recently that's bad. Simply put, we need more quality scouts.

Zeitler? I advocated trying to extend him BEFORE DeCastro or franchise tagging him. The Bengals just don't seem to value Guards highly.

I don't think the issue is so much the number of scouts since the coaches also scout.  I think Hue was terrible at talent evaluation.  You can look at moves he influenced with the Raiders and Browns as proof. The Palmer trade, the ridiculous contract Zeitler got, the attempted McCaron trade, etc.

Zeitler had all the leverage when Hue got the Browns job.  He knew there was a blank check just waiting on him.  He was also making 1st round money, which makes it much easier to wait and test the open market.  It's easy to say that we should have extended him before DeCastro but he's not necessarily going to sign.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 09:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hopkins was rated the #21 center in the league last year. That's not "one of the worst," that's considered about average.

15-16 would be average. 21 of 32 is nothing to write home about.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 02:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't think the issue is so much the number of scouts since the coaches also scout.  I think Hue was terrible at talent evaluation.  You can look at moves he influenced with the Raiders and Browns as proof. The Palmer trade, the ridiculous contract Zeitler got, the attempted McCaron trade, etc.

Zeitler had all the leverage when Hue got the Browns job.  He knew there was a blank check just waiting on him.  He was also making 1st round money, which makes it much easier to wait and test the open market.  It's easy to say that we should have extended him before DeCastro but he's not necessarily going to sign.

Coaches also need to gameplan, work with players, build offense and defense, etc. And the college football season is during the NFL season. Coaches have no time to scout then. So that leaves us waiting until after the season to start scouting...

There is a reason that other NFL Teams have 2 to 3 times our scouts. And I'm sure their coaches do some scouting too still.
Reply/Quote
Ross is so disappointing we are talking about the o-line in a thread about him. Damn.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 11:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ross is so disappointing we are talking about the o-line in a thread about him. Damn.

Do people discuss anything else on this board the last couple years? I haven’t seen it if they have...

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2019, 01:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Do people discuss anything else on this board the last couple years? I haven’t seen it if they have...

Yes.

Uniforms and the damn B logo.

Get with the program newbie!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 09:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 15-16 would be average. 21 of 32 is nothing to write home about.

I never was "writing home about" it. I was simply making a point that 21 is closer to average than it is "one of the worst."
And 21 sure is a lot better than 35th, which is what Price was ranked.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2019, 10:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Coaches also need to gameplan, work with players, build offense and defense, etc. And the college football season is during the NFL season. Coaches have no time to scout then. So that leaves us waiting until after the season to start scouting...

There is a reason that other NFL Teams have 2 to 3 times our scouts. And I'm sure their coaches do some scouting too still.

All the serious scouting is done after the college season is over.  It is useless to try and scout at a live game.  There is no "rewind" and you can only watch one player each play.
Reply/Quote