Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster (Practice Squad) Update 9/7
Practice Squad update.

Bengals sign QB Jake Browning, release punter Drue Chrisman.

Couple things. Maybe they will get some insight on the Vikings, also leaves us with no punter of the future which is a gamble given how quickly Huber's play can drop off given age. Hopefully his leg can make it one more year, but they have to get a plan B ready.

Browning was with the Vikings - through OTAs and training camp but was part of the team's final cuts Aug. 31.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 04:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: Practice Squad update.

Couple things. Maybe they will get some insight on the Vikings, also leaves us with no punter of the future which is a gamble given how quickly Huber's play can drop off given age. Hopefully his leg can make it one more year, but they have to get a plan B ready.

Browning was with the Vikings - through OTAs and training camp but was part of the team's final cuts Aug. 31.

It looks like we picked him up to steal Vikings offensive and defensive playbook
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Don't think you really need a plan B, and certainly don't need a punter on your PS. You just sign a new guy whenever you need a new guy.

Exactly 1 punter was drafted in 2021, and he was a 7th round pick.

If you look at the 1st and 2nd team All-Pros teams from the last 5 years, there are 2 punters who were drafted in the 5th round, and 5 punters who were undrafted. So when Huber decides to hang it up, just sign 2-3 guys then and there, have them compete, and keep the best.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
We needed a QB a hell of a lot more than a 2nd punter.
Reply/Quote
I don't buy into the punter can be replaced with any o'le body. These punters are kept through the age 35+ for a reason (one of the reasons you don't see many drafted each year). If it was that easy no punter would get a second contract.

What we can't afford, is Huber's leg to die mid season. Kicking woes are never good or easily fixed mid season.

When your fg kicker, longsnapper, punter's play falls off, it is damning to the season no matter what team. Always has been. There's a reason you keep them for so long. Folks must just be spoiled cause we've had it relatively good (but we've been here before with the kicker/longsnapper)

We need a backup plan for Huber, and while you don't want to keep a 2nd punter on the ps when your punter is young, when your punter is 38, we are gambling each year we have no plan b who can step in.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 04:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't buy into the punter can be replaced with any o'le body. These punters are kept through the age 35+ for a reason (one of the reasons you don't see many drafted each year). If it was that easy no punter would get a second contract.

What we can't afford, is Huber's leg to die mid season. Kicking woes are never good or easily fixed mid season.

When your fg kicker, longsnapper, punter's play falls off, it is damning to the season no matter what team. Always has been. There's a reason you keep them for so long. Folks must just be spoiled.

And if it was common for a punter or kicker to suddenly lose his skill in the middle of the season after being fine in training camp then every team in the league would be carrying a punter and kicker on their PS.
Reply/Quote
Not every team has a 38 year old punter. I believe we have the oldest. This should concern more people.

It shouldn't take shanks costing us our playoff game for folks to suddenly realize the gamble of relying on a 38 soon to be 39 year old punter.

Reply/Quote
The highest net punting average from a punter last season was 45.6 yards per punt.
The lowest net punting average from a punter last season was 34.1 yards per punt.

Between those two punters, the difference in their total average distance per punt was 1.9 yards. (Ty Long of LAC with 46.8 avg, 34.1 net, Jake Bailey of NE with 48.7 avg, 45.6 net).

The highest average yards per punt last season was 50.8.
The lowest average yards per punt last season was 42.5.

So, realistically, the difference between the very best punter and the very worst punter is 1 first down per punt.

I don't want to say punters are replaceable, because there is obviously value in having a good punter. But if I had the choice between a back up punter and a 3rd QB, especially in another year with COVID where a player can unexpectedly be ineligible to play leading up to a game due to testing positive, I think a 3rd QB is more valuable.

With that said, I think a 2nd punter is probably better than a 7th linebacker, 5th HB or 9th WR. Especially if you think that punter can be your Punter for the next 10 years once Huber retires.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 04:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: Not every team has a 38 year old punter. I believe we have the oldest. This should concern more people.

It shouldn't take shanks costing us our playoff game for folks to suddenly realize the gamble of relying on a 38 soon to be 39 year old punter.

QB Tom Brady is in his 40's, plays a more demanding position and going strong. Heck Pig Pen Ben is as old as Huber.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Even if the Vikings had emailed Zac their playbook, Zac & company would probably still look incompetent on game day. No joke.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 05:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't want to say punters are replaceable, because there is obviously value in having a good punter. But if I had the choice between a back up punter and a 3rd QB, especially in another year with COVID where a player can unexpectedly be ineligible to play leading up to a game due to testing positive, I think a 3rd QB is more valuable.

With that said, I think a 2nd punter is probably better than a 7th linebacker, 5th HB or 9th WR. Especially if you think that punter can be your Punter for the next 10 years once Huber retires.

Good info and thanks. Covid does bring up another point. At least there are 2 (now 3) qb's. If Huber tests positive the night before a game...... Do we have an emergency punter? Probably the rook. That'll cost us a game.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 05:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: QB Tom Brady is in his 40's, plays a more demanding position and going strong. Heck Pig Pen Ben is as old as Huber.

Really? You try getting your leg up that high (with power and without pulling something) at the age of 38/39..... I think kicking at an old age is more demanding then throwing.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 05:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: Really? You try getting your leg up that high (with power and without pulling something) at the age of 38/39..... I think kicking at an old age is more demanding then throwing.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/03/tom-brady-joins-three-kickers-and-a-punter-in-the-nfl-over-40/

This 2017 article. So, yes it appears kickers and punter who swing that leg do it for a long time in spit of less competition and only 2 kickers on most rosters.

In 2021, technology and fitness training only gets better. The good ones seem to kick or punt forever.

Reply/Quote
Does anyone think teams are going to be running out and fighting for the chance to sign Drue Chrisman? If something were to happen to Huber, I'm pretty sure the Bengals will still have Chrisman's cell phone number in the old rolodex on Mike's desk (and yes I would bet he does still rock a rolodex).

Chrisman is probably an injury to any player away from being back on the P.S. so he'll be un-employeed for a week or two probably.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 06:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Does anyone think teams are going to be running out and fighting for the chance to sign Drue Chrisman? If something were to happen to Huber, I'm pretty sure the Bengals will still have Chrisman's cell phone number in the old rolodex on Mike's desk (and yes I would bet he does still rock a rolodex).

Chrisman is probably an injury to any player away from being back on the P.S. so he'll be un-employeed for a week or two probably.

It doesn't have to be Drue, it could be another prospect. Bring a new prospect in every offseason to "compete" if the previous years prospect didn't cut it. I think with the aged Punter/LS combo and how important they've been to teams, it's time to suck it  up and develop their replacements a year early rather than a year late. They can make the practice squad a couple years as they develop chemistry and learn behind 2 pro's on a clean snap/hold combo unflappable like their predecessors. 

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 08:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: It doesn't have to be Drue, it could be another prospect. Bring a new prospect in every offseason to "compete" if the previous years prospect didn't cut it. I think with the aged Punter/LS combo and how important they've been to teams, it's time to suck it  up and develop their replacements a year early rather than a year late. They can make the practice squad a couple years as they develop chemistry and learn behind 2 pro's on a clean snap/hold combo unflappable like their predecessors. 

I meant if something happened to Huber this season.

When looking at future years, yes bring in a new guy.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Fine with the moves. But I do think we need to be looking at future replacements for the great Kevin Huber...

Best Punter we have ever had, hopefully the next one hardly ever needs to be used.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 04:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: Not every team has a 38 year old punter. I believe we have the oldest. This should concern more people.

Huber is 36. Actually turned 36 just two months ago. You keep repeating this 38 business... who are you talking about lol
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 09:46 PM)tms Wrote: Huber is 36. Actually turned 36 just two months ago. You keep repeating this 38 business... who are you talking about lol

It is a lame argument, that has to be made to look better....
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 04:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: Practice Squad update.

This HAS to be a pure intel more.  The Bengals knew Browning was a dud when he was constantly underthrowing John Ross at Washington.  
Reply/Quote