Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster (Practice Squad) Update 9/7
(09-08-2021, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This HAS to be a pure intel more.  The Bengals knew Browning was a dud when he was constantly underthrowing John Ross at Washington.  

Sure, but this is the exact kind of crap Pittsburgh and Baltimore seemingly do to us all the time..... so why not, especially if you can get their QB, who although can't implement the plays, at least ought to know them. Good on Taylor, one thing about him is he seems to learn as he goes.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2021, 08:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Sure, but this is the exact kind of crap Pittsburgh and Baltimore seemingly do to us all the time..... so why not, especially if you can get their QB, who although can't implement the plays, at least ought to know them. Good on Taylor, one thing about him is he seems to learn as he goes.

From that angle, it makes sense....however, I would have rather seen a turd like Keandre go over Crisman.   Hope they can bring him back or at least have a better option in developmental QB.  

Crisman, by all accounts in camp, was booming the ball.  Huber is solid, but getting up there in years.  I hope Crisman comes back and can be a part of the team someday.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2021, 08:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: From that angle, it makes sense....however, I would have rather seen a turd like Keandre go over Crisman.   Hope they can bring him back or at least have a better option in developmental QB.  

Crisman, by all accounts in camp, was booming the ball.  Huber is solid, but getting up there in years.  I hope Crisman comes back and can be a part of the team someday.  

Yeah, probably next week after we ditch Browning. It's not like some team is likely waiting to pluck Dru away, they could have done that already.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 05:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The highest net punting average from a punter last season was 45.6 yards per punt.
The lowest net punting average from a punter last season was 34.1 yards per punt.

Between those two punters, the difference in their total average distance per punt was 1.9 yards. (Ty Long of LAC with 46.8 avg, 34.1 net, Jake Bailey of NE with 48.7 avg, 45.6 net).

The highest average yards per punt last season was 50.8.
The lowest average yards per punt last season was 42.5.

So, realistically, the difference between the very best punter and the very worst punter is 1 first down per punt.

I don't want to say punters are replaceable, because there is obviously value in having a good punter. But if I had the choice between a back up punter and a 3rd QB, especially in another year with COVID where a player can unexpectedly be ineligible to play leading up to a game due to testing positive, I think a 3rd QB is more valuable.

With that said, I think a 2nd punter is probably better than a 7th linebacker, 5th HB or 9th WR. Especially if you think that punter can be your Punter for the next 10 years once Huber retires.

Problem with just looking at the numbers on punters like that is the quality of the special teams coverage changes a ton of that, as does the offense. If you have an offense that is quick to 3-and-out, you have the possibility of booming a 60 yarder or something without worrying about a touchback. If your team's offense stalls out on the opposing 40 yard line, the best punt possible then is a 39 yard punt that dies on the 1.

For awhile there, if you played Devin Hester or Josh Cribbs, your best bet was to focus on hangtime rather than distance to get that fair catch. If you go 40 yards and a fair catch, that's better than 45 and a 10 yard return. Still true with any dangerous returner.

It's still highly dependent upon your coverage team, but I think for punters the best stats in no particular order would probably be..
1. How far do opponents return your punts?
2. How many fair catches do you create?
3. How many balls inside the 20 do you kick?
4. How many balls inside the 10 do you kick?
5. How many touchbacks do you kick? (Less are better.)

Not sure distance or net are particularly great stats for individual success.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 06:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Does anyone think teams are going to be running out and fighting for the chance to sign Drue Chrisman? If something were to happen to Huber, I'm pretty sure the Bengals will still have Chrisman's cell phone number in the old rolodex on Mike's desk (and yes I would bet he does still rock a rolodex).

Chrisman is probably an injury to any player away from being back on the P.S. so he'll be un-employeed for a week or two probably.

This^

And I’ll add that having him on the PS doesn’t protect him from being signed by another team anyway. The real benefit to him on the PS is developing him for next year if he’s the future at the position or having him close by and familiar if Huber does happen to go down with an injury or suddenly look like Charlie Brown out there trying to kick
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2021, 08:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It is a lame argument, that has to be made to look better....

Building a strong roster and preparing for the future is never lame, all positions have backups. Why? Preparation. 36/38 is old for NFL players regardless. If you don't like the argument, why are you even in this thread? You struggle with the inability to skip a thread, while buckling to the need to complain about the thread you keep posting in. That my friend, by all feedback I get is what is lame.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote